Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone do a mild cam without headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 95jersey
We all know cam's like long tubes, but my question would be did the cam make less hp anywhere in the RPM range compared to the OEM cam? I can appreciate the long tubes provide that nice torque, but if the the car has the same or more hp at all RMP levels and one only has say $2000 to spend, I am thinking it is worth while...perfect no, but if it makes equal hp at 2000rpm to OEM, but more up top, I would be OK with that for $2000.

Now if you say the cam caused the motor to make less hp than the OEM cam under 3k, but made more above 3k, I would not do the mod as that would not be fun or manageable.
I was trying to find our stock dyno sheet for comparison sake, but was unable to come up with it. IIRC, it never made less power anywhere then the stock cam, but it came on harder and higher up top. It made the car feel lazy compared to after the headers because of the lower torque in the meat of the curve.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

I've got the Katech Torquer 110 ready to be installed in my otherwise stock car.
Once I score the cam kit with springs, I'll install it and tune with just my factory ZR1 exhaust and see how it does.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to the dyno tonight and will post my before and after numbers. Thanks to Carlos I had the Street Bully cam installed, ported intake, TB and added the Vette-air to my stock CAI along with keeping the stock exhaust.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I was trying to find our stock dyno sheet for comparison sake, but was unable to come up with it. IIRC, it never made less power anywhere then the stock cam, but it came on harder and higher up top. It made the car feel lazy compared to after the headers because of the lower torque in the meat of the curve.
Thanks for the information. This could actually be what I am looking for. Doing track events, as crazy as this sounds, I don't want too much power and torque down low. I'd rather have it hit harder in the middle or up top once I have completed apexing the corner and are on the throttle and pointed in a strait line. It may allow me to modulate the throttle better through a corner, but let her rip down the strait. The stock car already has a lot of power to lay coming out of an apex. My last car had an aggressive cam that hit like a turbo at 4000rpm and contrary to what one would think, for road racing, it was perfect.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone do a mild cam without headers?