Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PCM/ECU questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM/ECU questions.

1. Are all 2006-2011 pcm/ecus the same, as in interchangable with no issues?
2. If i were to change the pcm/ecu will i have to get it reprogramed in order to be able to start the car, use my keys etc or is it just plung in and good to go with no issues?
Thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

No. I know the 2009-2011's are different than the earlier ones.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had one installed under GMPP in a 2006Z It took the tech.20 min to install and about that long for the program to load into it. The program is specific to the car and VIN number.
On a side note when I was in there a customer installed a GM nav.system in his Vette but it had to be matched to his VIN by the tech. before it would work.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts

Tell us what year car it's for and we can tell you what ECM to look for. Example - a 2006 or 2007 Corvette E38 ECM is the same as those installed in Chevrolet trucks from 2007.

The 2009 Corvette uses a E38 ECM with model number #12612384. They were installed in 2008 trucks and SUVs. Lots of those can be found in wrecking yards for under $100. There is also a company on EBay (spareecm)that will sell a used E38 ECM for $149 already programed to your VIN number/model year. I have bought one from them in the past.

You will have to take the car/ECM to a GM dealer (or garage with a TECH 2/SPS access) to have a new Corvette (year specific) program installed and a security relearn will have to be done as well.

Last edited by KENS80V; 05-08-2011 at 08:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KENS80V:
Landru (05-03-2016), ~STOLEN~ (02-27-2020)
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM
paisa427
Instructor

This is for a 2009.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Originally Posted by KENS80V
Tell us what year car it's for and we can tell you what ECM to look for. Example - a 2006 or 2007 Corvette E38 ECM is the same as those installed in Chevrolet trucks from 2007.

The 2009 Corvette uses a E38 ECM with model number #12612384. They were installed in 2008 trucks and SUVs. Lots of those can be found in wrecking yards for under $100. There is also a company on EBay (spareecm)that will sell a used E38 ECM for $149 already programed to your VIN number/model year. I have bought one from them in the past.

You will have to take the car/ECM to a GM dealer (or garage with a TECH 2/SPS access) to have a new Corvette (year specific) program installed and a security relearn will have to be done as well.
Thanks for the info. Are the spareecm ones just plug in and that it, no other programing needed to run?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

I think you will need a security relearn and perhaps a crank relearn as well. This has to be done with a TECH 2 from a dealer or garage that uses the TECH 2 tool. Some model GM cars might not need a security relearn but the Corvette most likely will do to that fact it uses a "push button" start.

Sent you a PM with a link.

Last edited by KENS80V; 05-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM
crimvet
1st Gear

Default Burnt out cooling fan control module - Sydney Australia

Hi
I've been reading your post on this issue. I'm in Sydney Australia and have a 2008 C6 Corvette convertible imported and converted to RHD.

Ive had overheating problems for a while. First changed the thermostat, then replaced the water pump. Fixed for a while then happened again. Auto electrician diagnosed the cooling fan control module had burnt out. Got replacement. He then determined that the ECM is grounding and not sending correct signal to Module.
ECM has been removed and sent to 2 different computer people with no joy for repair.

Problem in Australia is there are no GM dealers. Therefore Tech2 cards for corvette are rare and knowledge on use rarer still.

I am given the following options for fix:
1. some hard wire solution that is meant to turn fans on at a certain temperature and when A/C is on. I thought that's what the module was for.
2. Replace the ECM. This means buy from States and then uncertain how and who will reprogramme for my car;
3. Install a manual override switch. Really don't want to alter my interior

Any help would be appreciated. Car has been off road for 2 weeks. My mechanics are great but the lack of Corvettes over here make work a bit hit and miss.

This is my first post to the forum. Not sure if it will work. If you can email me at Robert@crimlaw.com.au that would be great.

BTW. I'm not a criminal. I'm a lawyer. And sure you may be thinking "same thing"

Thanks in advance for the help from a die hard Corvette lover
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by crimvet
Hi
I've been reading your post on this issue. I'm in Sydney Australia and have a 2008 C6 Corvette convertible imported and converted to RHD.

Ive had overheating problems for a while. First changed the thermostat, then replaced the water pump. Fixed for a while then happened again. Auto electrician diagnosed the cooling fan control module had burnt out. Got replacement. He then determined that the ECM is grounding and not sending correct signal to Module.
ECM has been removed and sent to 2 different computer people with no joy for repair.

Problem in Australia is there are no GM dealers. Therefore Tech2 cards for corvette are rare and knowledge on use rarer still.

I am given the following options for fix:
1. some hard wire solution that is meant to turn fans on at a certain temperature and when A/C is on. I thought that's what the module was for.
2. Replace the ECM. This means buy from States and then uncertain how and who will reprogramme for my car;
3. Install a manual override switch. Really don't want to alter my interior

Any help would be appreciated. Car has been off road for 2 weeks. My mechanics are great but the lack of Corvettes over here make work a bit hit and miss.

This is my first post to the forum. Not sure if it will work. If you can email me at Robert@crimlaw.com.au that would be great.

BTW. I'm not a criminal. I'm a lawyer. And sure you may be thinking "same thing"

Thanks in advance for the help from a die hard Corvette lover
The harness connector located about 8 inches above the fan control module has been known to be a problem. It can't handle the current flowing thru it and sometimes arcs and melts. Disconnect it and view both mating ends for signs of damage.

You can buy a 2008 Corvette E38 ECM on EBAY in the USA. They need your Corvette VIN number and can load the factory operating software for your particular car in it. The company is called "SpareECM".

LSX Conversions might be able to help you in Perth. They can be found on EBAY too.

Holden cars use GM LS engines. They should have access to a TECH 2. for programming.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ECM for the 2008 Z06 is an E38 p/n 12612384. Chuck COW can program an ECM for you and it will plug and play with your vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (04-25-2016)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I thought ECM's changed in '09. The manufactuter changed too.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tim414
The inner workings might have changed slightly but they are still called a E38.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default No.... Be very careful....

Originally Posted by paisa427
1. Are all 2006-2011 pcm/ecus the same, as in interchangable with no issues?
2. If i were to change the pcm/ecu will i have to get it reprogramed in order to be able to start the car, use my keys etc or is it just plung in and good to go with no issues?
Thanks.
NO.... BE VERY CAREFUL.... You MUST interchange pcms my PART # based on model/year.

While there are exceptions to this rule, play it safe and use the correct part #.

06 and 07 Models are the same in vettes, but that's about it.

The ECM's memory was moved around to accommodate features like "clutch pedal position learn", "launch control", and etc.

Using the wrong year controller will usually corrupt the ECM's flash so that it

won't start, crank, or you might even corrupt the "SEED/KEY" are of the pcm

which will leave you with a bran new ECM that's "LOCKED" and no longer usable....

Go ahead...Ask me how I know....
Chuck CoW
Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Horton180
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement ecm

Hey chuck, I'm new to the forum, do you sell a replacement ecm already tuned for engine and trans? If so how much. Thanks

QUOTE=Chuck CoW;1578920945]NO.... BE VERY CAREFUL.... You MUST interchange pcms my PART # based on model/year.

While there are exceptions to this rule, play it safe and use the correct part #.

06 and 07 Models are the same in vettes, but that's about it.

The ECM's memory was moved around to accommodate features like "clutch pedal position learn", "launch control", and etc.

Using the wrong year controller will usually corrupt the ECM's flash so that it

won't start, crank, or you might even corrupt the "SEED/KEY" are of the pcm

which will leave you with a bran new ECM that's "LOCKED" and no longer usable....

Go ahead...Ask me how I know....
Chuck CoW[/QUOTE]
Old 04-23-2016, 05:34 PM
ERIC_MEMS1@YAHOO.COM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KENS80V

Thanks so much ,I been reading the post , I have a 2006 vert and replaced the ECM and still cant get the security light off so it s off to the dealer to get it reprogrammed or relearned ,so again thanks so much!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:22 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Pcm doctor!

Originally Posted by Horton180
Hey chuck, I'm new to the forum, do you sell a replacement ecm already tuned for engine and trans? If so how much. Thanks
Hey there. YES, these ECMs are very specific to year and loading the wrong year/model calibration into them

will instantly ruin them. They all look the same and an incorrect ecm will not run, nor will you even be able to

"talk to it" if you don't set it up right.

NO, you can not just buy a used one and "full flash" or "write entire" the ecm and have it work.

There's more involved..... Kinda like.... Don't try this at home.

You can call me and tell me what you have I'll provide you a properly flashed (and CoW BOOSTED!) ECM no matter

what LS vehicle you have. Don't discard your bad ecm as we might need to recover some information from it.

Either way, I'll set you straight and make it one stop shopping for you.

If you have already learned the hard way with these pcms.... I might still be able to help you.

Recovering and UN-LOCKING I'm pretty good at in most cases.

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default 2009 is all by itself.

Originally Posted by tim414
2009 is all by itself and ZR1 is different too.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To PCM/ECU questions.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Mccarthys08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Hey there. YES, these ECMs are very specific to year and loading the wrong year/model calibration into them

will instantly ruin them. They all look the same and an incorrect ecm will not run, nor will you even be able to

"talk to it" if you don't set it up right.

NO, you can not just buy a used one and "full flash" or "write entire" the ecm and have it work.

There's more involved..... Kinda like.... Don't try this at home.

You can call me and tell me what you have I'll provide you a properly flashed (and CoW BOOSTED!) ECM no matter

what LS vehicle you have. Don't discard your bad ecm as we might need to recover some information from it.

Either way, I'll set you straight and make it one stop shopping for you.

If you have already learned the hard way with these pcms.... I might still be able to help you.

Recovering and UN-LOCKING I'm pretty good at in most cases.

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
Tried calling chuck, no answer please call me at 419-764-6432 ASAP thanks !!!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Your PCM is BOXED and READY TO SHIP!

Originally Posted by Mccarthys08
Tried calling chuck, no answer please call me at 419-764-6432 ASAP thanks !!!
Your PCM is BOXED and READY TO SHIP!

Be sure to let us know how you like you new CoW BOOSTER!

Chuck CoW
Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

So I know I'm bringing this back to life, but I wanted to get some input. My 08 is about to tuned with a blower and I'm hearing that my ECM is limited in terms of fuel injector size via the table sizes in the ECM and that the stock MAF on the 08 is already maxed out on a H/C/I setup so I need to get something bigger. On the fuel injectors side, do people regularly just re-scale the factory tables to account for larger injectors and just lose some adjustability, do they re-pin and swap in a newer ECU or do they go aftermarket all together? Thanks for help or links to threads with info in them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] PCM/ECU questions.