Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who's upgraded to ZR1 ceramic brakes on their Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Default Who's upgraded to ZR1 ceramic brakes on their Z06???

Not looking for info from the Z07 crowd but those with 06-10 cars that have done the swap. I know Halltech did it on his leggera car and according to him no issues at all but has anyone else done it??

I have my 09 car and since the ZR1 came out in 09 the brakes should be a bolt on. My concern is whether a ZR1 will have different brake systems that are different from a Z06. Brake master cyl. and ABS modulator come to mind. I believe knuckles and hubs are the same.

I'm seriously thinking about whether I really want to spend the coin it takes to do this swap (with new wheels and tires too) so I want to make sure this is going to work like if I did buy a ZR1 or Z07 with the brakes already on those cars. My Z06 brake stuff and wheels now would be sold to offset the cost to go this route.

Please chime in with your info on this topic good or bad. Don't chime in about other BBK's that would be cheaper to do than the ZR1 brakes. I know the deal so no need to go there. Basically my car, my money to mod it how I want.

Tony
Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM
jswatek
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 142 Posts

I would like to explore this also. Ideally, I would just swap rotors and pads and get the benefit of the lighter CF rotors.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:10 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,168 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jswatek
I would like to explore this also. Ideally, I would just swap rotors and pads and get the benefit of the lighter CF rotors.
I'm nearly 100% positive that won't work. I can't see how the stock Z06 caliper could possibly work with the ZR1 rotors; I don't think the calipers are the right dimensions.

jas
Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Did them back in Feb to my 07.... HERE

I haven't had any issues or problems. The burnish procedure made me a little ill , but other then that they have been great. Mine's a daily driver as well so it hasn't been hidden in the garage since the swap.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
I'm nearly 100% positive that won't work. I can't see how the stock Z06 caliper could possibly work with the ZR1 rotors; I don't think the calipers are the right dimensions.

jas
You are correct. Read this thread especially post #17:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-on-a-z06.html
Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 AM
brahmabull1126
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffee
Did them back in Feb to my 07.... HERE

I haven't had any issues or problems. The burnish procedure made me a little ill , but other then that they have been great. Mine's a daily driver as well so it hasn't been hidden in the garage since the swap.
Im gonna go this route, when I buy some rims..those Ceramic rotors looks bad ***..
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

ok, have one person reply about doing this swap (I know Halltech did it too and read all the posts about it so he could be #2).

Anyone else done this and have input to share???

I spent a day or so emailing a vendor here about wheels, told them what I was thinking of doing and was checking out wheel sizes.

I could do the ZR1 size for wheels or this vendor can build wheels for my car in stock Z06 sizes for those brakes. I already know it would be a tight fit but they assured me no problems if I want to stay with Z06 size wheels.

I'm liking that idea, cheaper than doing the same 3 piece wheel in 19/20" size, tires would cost less and have more selection, but do you think it would be a good idea to keep stock Z06 size wheels with ZR1 brakes or upsize??

These wheels won't be cheap and I can always wait for the 2012 ZR1 cup wheels to be avail.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Griffee
Pro

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to upsize?

I have had no issues running the 19/20's as far as ride or anything else. True I don't have a selection of drag radials to choose from, or road race tires but I'm not tracking the car anyways.

If I were to track it I would choose to get a set of additional wheels just for the track. Then I wouldn't have to be running around on my track tires on the street. Sure there is an additional cost going this route, but my car would at least be set up track or street specific. No compromises or trade offs.

Just a thought...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Last year at the ALMS race in Monterey (Laguna Seca) I asked a GM engineer if the Z07 rotors and calipers were a direct bolt on to the 08 Z06. His reply was not really, it could be done but it would be very expensive. The reason is that up thru 08 the master cylinder and ABS were made by Delphi, for the model year 09 and up they are made by Bosch. According to him, the bolt-on approach would work with 09 and up models but not with the 06 - 08 models.

I agree that some company is selling the calipers and rotors and they did bolt them on an 08, I think, and have not had any problems. But I have an idea the ABS, EBCM and the calipers are tuned to work together, so if you put some calipers on that are not tuned to work with the Delphi internals (as in the 06 - 08 models) you might run into problems if you track the car hard or do a panic stop.

I really want these brakes on my 08, but after talking with the GM engineer I won't even attempt it.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Griffee
Pro

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
Last year at the ALMS race in Monterey (Laguna Seca) I asked a GM engineer if the Z07 rotors and calipers were a direct bolt on to the 08 Z06. His reply was not really, it could be done but it would be very expensive. The reason is that up thru 08 the master cylinder and ABS were made by Delphi, for the model year 09 and up they are made by Bosch. According to him, the bolt-on approach would work with 09 and up models but not with the 06 - 08 models.

I agree that some company is selling the calipers and rotors and they did bolt them on an 08, I think, and have not had any problems. But I have an idea the ABS, EBCM and the calipers are tuned to work together, so if you put some calipers on that are not tuned to work with the Delphi internals (as in the 06 - 08 models) you might run into problems if you track the car hard or do a panic stop.

I really want these brakes on my 08, but after talking with the GM engineer I won't even attempt it.

Just my $0.02
Not sure what year Jim's is, but he has tracked it. Mine's an 07..and I burnished the brakes...that's not one panic stop it's like 8 million panic stops... not one single issue other then my sea sickness.

The GM engineer you talked to said the brakes wouldn't work because one master cylinder/abs was made by Delphi, and one by Bosch? Seriously?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffee
Not sure what year Jim's is, but he has tracked it. Mine's an 07..and I burnished the brakes...that's not one panic stop it's like 8 million panic stops... not one single issue other then my sea sickness.

The GM engineer you talked to said the brakes wouldn't work because one master cylinder/abs was made by Delphi, and one by Bosch? Seriously?
He didn't say they wouldn't work, he implied they were incompatible. A panic stop is what I call it when ABS activates, if you've done panic stops on the track you're doing it wrong. You should be threshold braking, at least that's what I do.

I am glad you have done the upgrade and experienced no problems.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,999 Likes on 5,367 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever

Just my $0.02
Actually the same could be said about any BBK upgrade to the car. None of them have been tested to work with the ABS as it exists. Then on top of that the owner plays with brake pad compounds as well. Even changing the tires can screw up the calibrations due to differences in grip, size, etc.

No tire or brake manufacturer is going to go through all of the tests required to verify their product will work reliably with the ABS under all environmental conditions.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Who's upgraded to ZR1 ceramic brakes on their Z06???

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's upgraded to ZR1 ceramic brakes on their Z06???