Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Burnout question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
ub2slow2

Default Burnout question

Ok first off this will be in a parking lot at one of my warehouses so it's private property.

I want to take a picture of my Vette doing a burnout capturing smoke rolling off the back end. My question is, will turning off traction control and just dumping the clutch and hammering it get the job done? Assuming it will just light the tires up without much forward motion but not sure. Haven't tried it before and normally when I do break the tires loose TC is on and I'm not hammering it all the way. I only want to do this once so I want to get it right the first time and not sit there hammering on the car over and over lol.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 09:15 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do it in 2nd gear for the best result. Rev it up a little and ease out the clutch quickly and put foot on brake until the smoke start bellowing out the back and then let the brake go and you'll start moving forward. You don't need to keep it floored, you can kinda feel the throttle and how much you'll need to keep them spinning.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM
ub2slow2

Perfect!! Thank You
Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

The first time I did it with my ZR I didn't think they were not spinning, it was so effortless and smooth. The only way I knew was from all the smoke pouring from the back of the car!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Do donuts instead, more fun.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 PM
ub2slow2

I'm sure it is!! Haven't done those since high school lol.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
Do it in 2nd gear for the best result. Rev it up a little and ease out the clutch quickly and put foot on brake until the smoke start bellowing out the back and then let the brake go and you'll start moving forward. You don't need to keep it floored, you can kinda feel the throttle and how much you'll need to keep them spinning.
Do not do this on dry pavement. The ZR1 like the Z06 has a weak clutch. Just pop the clutch in 1st and they'll smoke easily.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put a little water down and save your clutch. You'll get twice as much smoke using 2nd gear, twice as fast.

Last edited by Luweegy; 05-24-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ub2slow2
Ok first off this will be in a parking lot at one of my warehouses so it's private property.I want to take a picture of my Vette doing a burnout capturing smoke rolling off the back end. My question is, will turning off traction control and just dumping the clutch and hammering it get the job done? Assuming it will just light the tires up without much forward motion but not sure. Haven't tried it before and normally when I do break the tires loose TC is on and I'm not hammering it all the way. I only want to do this once so I want to get it right the first time and not sit there hammering on the car over and over lol.

Thanks
Not trying to be a downer......but is the warehouse considered commercial property?

If so,you can still get cited for careless/wreckless. I know because I got one myself several years ago doing exactly what you are planning at one of our warehouse lots on a Sunday afternoon when it was closed.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Ok first off this will be in a parking lot at one of my warehouses so it's private property.

I want to take a picture of my Vette doing a burnout capturing smoke rolling off the back end. My question is, will turning off traction control and just dumping the clutch and hammering it get the job done? Assuming it will just light the tires up without much forward motion but not sure. Haven't tried it before and normally when I do break the tires loose TC is on and I'm not hammering it all the way. I only want to do this once so I want to get it right the first time and not sit there hammering on the car over and over lol.

Thanks
I can't wait to see this
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 AM
ub2slow2

Are you serious Redzone? That makes no sense at all. It's commercial but still I own it. Well I'll take my chances because that's BS in my book. I really don't think a cop would offer up a citation once I told him/her it was a photo shoot and it was my property.

Sorry to hear you got tagged, that's not right
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

In my state it has to do with weather or not the property is open to the public at any time or it's totally private........save your self the headache and risk since you were asking how to do it and just use my pics...... Not to mention you sound like a very meticulus detailer and its a PIA to get the rubber out of the fenderwells!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Do not do this on dry pavement. The ZR1 like the Z06 has a weak clutch. Just pop the clutch in 1st and they'll smoke easily.
Not real sure that "weak clutch" would be the proper term. More like easily over heated by less than perfect driving.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM
ub2slow2

Damn that looks good blown
Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
I can't wait to see this
Me too! I'd love to do it myself too. But if it is a PITA to clean later my timidness will win out.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Are you serious Redzone? That makes no sense at all. It's commercial but still I own it. Well I'll take my chances because that's BS in my book. I really don't think a cop would offer up a citation once I told him/her it was a photo shoot and it was my property.

Sorry to hear you got tagged, that's not right
I agree,I too thought it was BS. But my lawyer informed me since it was a commercial property,it was subject to any/all traffic laws.

Maybe the state you're in has different laws on the matter.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Hey UB, when are you planning to do this? Hope it goes well. Can't wait to see the pics. Also can't wait to hear about how much fun you had cleaning it up afterwards.

Get notified of new replies

To Burnout question

Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355Spider
First I have heard of the ZR1 having a "weak" clutch. I would like to hear more about this. Have seen no real threads of people complaining about this?????

By the way, if I owned a ZR1 (and I do) I would not do this burn out. This is one of the many reasons why I would never buy a used vette, IMHO. Aren't their enough burn out pictures? Money is not the issue, I just have more respect for the car.

Last edited by Kelly100; 05-24-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM
ub2slow2

I agree with you in part Kelly, not something I normally do with my sports cars. In fact I baby them way too much. Yeah I get on them 3/4 hard up to speed then typically back off and run the speed limit. I guess I just love the looks and sounds of sports cars and the fact knowing if I do want to use it I have it.

Reason why I'm wanting to do this picture is I want a picture of my car doing it with me driving it. I want it sunny out and from the right angle. Then I'm going to have my buddy that owns a sign company blow it up for me so I can frame it and hang it on the garage wall above the Z. I'm also going to do it with my Lexus IS-F as well.

Then I'm also going to have him make me a plaque type picture naming the year of Vette, HP, 0-60 time, and top speed under that picture for if I ever do a car show or two then I can display it with the car.

Not worried about the wheel well mess. I'm going to take painters tape and paper from a body shop and tape it in the wheel wells as good as I can to catch as much of the rubber as possible.

As soon as the weather gets back I'm going to do it. Probably this weekend and I'll post up the picture.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

If your going to do it dry.....use 1st gear(I use first even at the track)......Would be better off getting a water bottle and misting the back tires then hop in the car and do it. Have fun and post the pics soon!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Burnout question