Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Replace X-pipe with strait pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace X-pipe with strait pipes?

I'm running AR headers with hi-flo cats and X-pipe but I'm still not happy with the sound. Can the x-pipe be replaced by strait pipes to get a better sound? Anyone try this? My local muffler guy can do it. Thanx.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

if you can let us know what kind of sound you are looking for, we could help more... X-pipes give a V8 a more exotic sound usually. two straight pipes will make it sound old school, while the h-pipe will smooth out that same sound a little bit.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mirage2991
if you can let us know what kind of sound you are looking for, we could help more... X-pipes give a V8 a more exotic sound usually. two straight pipes will make it sound old school, while the h-pipe will smooth out that same sound a little bit.
Thanx for the input. I'm looking for a LOUDER sound when the flaps are open. And the car sounds a little like a UPS truck with the flaps open now. I'm not crazy about that. Trying to avoid a cat-back exhaust since I don't think they're worth it.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Thanx for the input. I'm looking for a LOUDER sound when the flaps are open. And the car sounds a little like a UPS truck with the flaps open now. I'm not crazy about that. Trying to avoid a cat-back exhaust since I don't think they're worth it.
This is the bassani catback system. Its just one muffler in the tunnel and is very free flowing so it may sound similar to a straight through X-pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up37CkQcExM

Then this is with a cam added:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIofK...eature=related
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Changing from an X or an H to two straight pipes will only change the tone slightly and will not raise the noise level.

Have you tried the Z06 muffler mod? It caps the perforated pipe inside the muffler and makes the open side louder. Although it does have a tractor sound to it, it is cheap and fairly easy.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:20 PM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Then change mufflers. Straight pipes will give you that fresh from the fields farm truck sound............. Don't waste your money or ruin the car for that matter. I put ZR1 mufflers on my car and it became quit a bit and pleasantly, louder.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
Then change mufflers. Straight pipes will give you that fresh from the fields farm truck sound............. Don't waste your money or ruin the car for that matter. I put ZR1 mufflers on my car and it became quit a bit and pleasantly, louder.
Where did you get ZR1 mufflers and were they expensive?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Im pretty sure there is a performance gain when using an X pipe over an H or straight pipes. Something about equalizing exhaust pressure.... Mustang guys will remember changing their stock H pipes to X pipes.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

KEEP the x-pipe! If you don't like the sound then ditch the CATs...you'll be surprised at the sound difference.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 AM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You will lose HP if you remove the x-pipe. The primary reason it is there is to feed a secondary pulse from the opposite bank to assist scavenging. ARH is one of the few that put it in the optimum position (right after the merge collectors)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 AM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get ZR1 mufflers and were they expensive?
I bought mine here from a guy who put 83 miles on them for $500+shipping. I think there is a set for sale now but the poster is asking more than 5. Best money i've spent so far!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM
MBR44
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try replacing the cats with an off road no cat X then do the muffler mods. This is what I have and it sounds like a stock car. Your muffler guys should be able to do this. Quiets down the the flaps closed through the mild to wild bu. Very aggressive sound with the flaps opened. Should be relatively inexpensive for a much better sound.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind, LS engines use a slightly different firing order than 60's Chevy engines, so you're never going to get the same old school sound, no matter what you do to the modern cars exhaust system.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace X-pipe with strait pipes?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Replace X-pipe with strait pipes?