Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Doing Business with Caravaggio

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by fknfst
Have you driven the car with the seats yet? I put mine in yesterday and my air bag light came on when I drove it today. I used the connectors that came with the seats figuring they were supposed to "trick" the computers to think the side airbags where there.

Also my memory seats don't work anymore. The power seats work but not the memory settings.
Strange. No issues whatsoever with mine. He replaced the airbag connector on each seat with one that has the required resistor. I just connected the seat up to the car and everything worked. No airbag light, and the memory seats do what they should. Perhaps he made a mistake with resistance values on your seat? Not sure...

jas
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Please don't take this wrong (just an innocent question), but is there a legal ramification to removing a safety device (side air bag) from your car if it was originally equipped with one?

I.E. if someone gets injured in the car? Or after selling the car there is an accident with injuries?

I know, it is illegal to temper with emission controls, but people still do it. The air bag could be a bigger issue following personal injury.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, the seats look (and I'm sure feel) great.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
Please don't take this wrong (just an innocent question), but is there a legal ramification to removing a safety device (side air bag) from your car if it was originally equipped with one?
Front driver/passenger airbags are federally required and have been since 1996. Side airbags, however, are not federally required. Removing them will have no legal ramifications.

If someone gets injured in my car, their or my liability insurance covers that.

If someone gets injured in the car after I've sold it, it's no longer my concern. I've sold it "as is" and will make sure to point out that the side bags are gone. But again, I'm not required to do that.

jas
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Hmph. Small price to pay? You're not the one that spent a half hour with his neighbor trying to clean up those little bastards. Boy the garbage man is going to hate me tomorrow...
Most of the shipping outlets will take the little bastards for packing material. I try not to put that stuff in the garbage.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with the airbag light. After checking with John, he suggested checking the passenger side rear yellow connector for interference or pinching. I disconnected and reconnected all fittings and made sure the "pigtail" on the passenger side was positioned well above the mechanisms with the factory clip. Perhaps your memory seat function just needs to be reprogrammed? If not try resetting all the drivers side connectors.
Originally Posted by fknfst
Have you driven the car with the seats yet? I put mine in yesterday and my air bag light came on when I drove it today. I used the connectors that came with the seats figuring they were supposed to "trick" the computers to think the side airbags where there.

Also my memory seats don't work anymore. The power seats work but not the memory settings.

There is no doubt Caravaggio does great work but I have to agree on the peanuts. I'm still picking those up those damn things.

Ryan
Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

As I explained in my 'brake' thread, I had the rotor and caliper swapped on my car this morning under warranty. While there, I had my tech Bobby take care of the steering wheel, shifter boot/**** and e-brake boot/handle. Given that Bobby saved me a pile of money by replacing the $1300 ($1700 list) rotor under warranty, I shook his hand and he walked away $100 richer.

At the end of the service, the service manager said not to worry about the charges for the modifications, since I'd, "already taken care of Bobby." They were going to let me drive away after the mods were done without charging me. I couldn't in good conscious do that, so I made them write up a ticket and charge me.

"But Jason," you're asking, "what about the Caravaggio stuff? How's it feel?" It's AWESOME. You can instantly feel the difference in the seats the first time you go around a turn. You can feel them start to gently clamp down on your shoulders and hold your torso in place. Your hips have basically nowhere to go, so they also stay planted in the seat (where they belong).

Fricken. Awesome. Several people came out of the various service offices so they could check out the seats. Lots of positive comments from everyone.

The steering wheel is the biggest improvement other than the seats. It's so much more comfortable to have that large, fat hunk of leather and Alcantara in my hands. You'll note from the pictures later that I replaced the wheel and the button caps. I didn't replace the center airbag cover. While John's covers are gorgeous, I don't know if they've been tested with bag deployment. I know (from first-hand experience) that the stock cover does, in fact work. So visually, the center of the wheel sort-of breaks up the beauty of John's work. But I'm OK with it.

Overall, this was money well spent. I'm dying to get on the track, but the next trip isn't until August (gives me plenty of time to burnish the new pads...) In the mean time, driving to/from work, the store, etc is just so much more comfortable in these than the stocks. And the steering wheel is out of this world.

I'm in the office now. When I get home later (I only work half-days... 7am-7pm) I'll get my real camera out and start taking some photos. Stay tuned for links.

jas
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will get you a beautiful interior but no money left for gas? lol
Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Photos

As promised, the photos are here.

jas
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Awesome! this is how the car should have come! What could any Ferrari, or Porsche guys criticize now!! I just bought a 2011 and haven't even made my first car payment and I am considering it!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Seats, wheel, shifter look great. What amazes me how well they complement the interior. Sometimes (nice) changes just look out of place and clash with the rest of the interior. This is certainly not the case here. Beautiful and functional, hard to beat.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
Seats, wheel, shifter look great. What amazes me how well they complement the interior.
The key here was to tell John the kind of thing I wanted, and let him work his artistic magic. My inputs were simple:
  • Color == black
  • stitching == same as the existing 3ZR gray color
  • touch surfaces == Alcantara.
He took it from there and the results basically speak for themselves. John knew exactly what he wanted to do for my steering wheel, for example. He tried to explain it to me over the phone, but my brain just couldn't picture it. I figured I didn't really need to worry about it, because he knows what he's doing.

John will make whatever anyone wants, for sure. I know, without a doubt, that I don't have an eye for decoration or aesthetics. The best way to get something beautiful is to let the man who does have that eye make the decisions.

And, voila.

jas
Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

looks killer, nice job
Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 06-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

JVP

Where did you get your seatbelt harness? Is it removeable? Was it easy to install?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Dam nice! I thought the steering wheel looked better as a whole; the center section was less drab with the outside enhancement.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 09.Corvette.ZR1
Where did you get your seatbelt harness? Is it removeable? Was it easy to install?
The harness bar is a C6 Sharkbar sold by a few vendors here. I don't know how challenging it was to install as I had my Chevy dealer do it. The harnesses themselves are TeamTech JetPilot harnesses. I only put them in when I'm at the track. Takes about 5 minutes to do.

jas
Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

very ,,,,,
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Richie High PSI
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts