Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech Engine Development Trip for Halltech

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Katech Engine Development Trip for Halltech

Just got back from Katech and Pratt and Miller today.

I picked up our Katech CTS-V package Friday, and had a change to launch this 770 HP monster on a couple onramps, pulling my eyeballs to the back of my head. It is probably only using 650 of the HP available since the only way to drive this beast is to start in Drive (2nd gear) with TC on. Amazing, light switch ZR1 style power is on tap and all from a mild mannered 4 door automatic. Katech did a fantastic job installing everything, including Corsa's touring exhaust system.

Jason gave us the tour of their facility, and the very dyno room where they tested the LS7 and many other GM platforms over the years. It is simply amazing how much time and money is invested in just trying to get near perfect dyno numbers that can be relied on by major companies that contract with Katech for their expertise. The have on cell that is dedicated to just viewing the valve gear at various rpm to see which cam to use for each application.

Another that just spins the motors to look for frictional losses, and another that records horsepower at the crank within very strict parameters.

Our CTS-V had only the ZR1 cam installed, HP springs and Katech Titanium retainers, but all other bottom end components, heads, etc. were stock.

Katech's all new Super Heat Exchanger keeps our IATs within 10 degrees of ambient, the E85 does the rest.

I can't talk too much about the CTS-V here or the thread will get bumped out of this area, so here is some Corvette info.

After our pickup, Debbie and I (this was our first vacation together in 16 years) had a meeting with Pratt and Miller's engineers.

I can die now a happy man. Both companies are so unique and dedicated to the Corvette, things you and I just take for granted.

One, in my opinion builds the most dependable, time tested and race proven motors for the Corvette (Katech) and the other the ultimate shop that builds the C6.R and Cadillac CTS-V WC car for GM.

It would take a book to explain what I saw at Katech and Pratt and Miller. I have been engine design and building 51 years now, and I was simply in awe at what I was shown.

The GT2 cars, The CTS-V Racing car, were there, one GT2 was circling the building at P&M like thunder from afar, and I was showing off our Katech CTS-V750 package to the engineers with the Halltech Carbon Stinger-R Ram Air induction system. It is very hard to impress guys that have 25 CTS-Vs in their parking lot, and the GT2 looking right at us like a Cheetah on the prowl, but suffice it to say, big things are on the way from both companies with Halltech products to help bring out the beast, for the C6 and the Cadillac in the very near future.

Stay tuned for more this Summer. Glad to bee back.

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,449 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Sounds like a great day.

Did the subject of valve guides come up?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:12 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Congrats on the Katech CTS-V750 package. Sounds awesome. Also the visit to P & M was all you expected and more. I can't wait to see what you guys have coming out.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sounds like a great day.

Did the subject of valve guides come up?
Why would they?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:11 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

can wait to see what is coming out for the v but now i need to wait possibly for those to come out before doing more mods
dont want to buy something now and then have to buy a better mod later ya know LOL

damn 25 v's in the parking lot would be nuts.

take any pics?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dvandentop
can wait to see what is coming out for the v but now i need to wait possibly for those to come out before doing more mods
dont want to buy something now and then have to buy a better mod later ya know LOL

damn 25 v's in the parking lot would be nuts.

take any pics?
I had a video cam in my pocket, but no pictures allowed there.

Happy Birthday America and Jim Painter!

Jim
Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the write up Jim. It's stories like this that remind me why I chose Katech to build the engine in my track car. Money well spent!!

-Dave
Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,449 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Why would they?

Um, because they report they've been studying this issue on certain LS platforms. And with their expertise in valvetrain dynamics it would be great if they could help put this issue to bed.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Um, because they report they've been studying this issue on certain LS platforms. And with their expertise in valvetrain dynamics it would be great if they could help put this issue to bed.
Katech is the expert on the valve gear dynamics; I agree. You might ask Jason to respond.

I'm sure they have tested the stock guides thoroughly.

AMPCO 45 guides and Beryllium seats is what I always used in every engine I ever built.

Jim
Old 07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Racin Z06
Thanks for the write up Jim. It's stories like this that remind me why I chose Katech to build the engine in my track car. Money well spent!!

-Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Katech Engine Development Trip for Halltech

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech Engine Development Trip for Halltech