Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] power steering pump boil over

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering pump boil over

My '07 Z power steering pump keeps overflowing... I cleaned up the mess and made sure it was only filled to the cold line with GM fluid. It did it again during normal steert driving (twice). I took to the Dealer ( Jerry's Baltimore). They replaced the reseviour bottle for $350 bucks. That did not fix it. It is still spitting fliud. It is wetting the hood liner and top of the frame rail. They put dye in it but still could not find the origin of the leak (it's a fair amount of oil) The is no oil on the belt or the pulley. The pump works fine.
The dealer is stumped... Any ideas? Loose hose clamp that is spitting under pressure?

They implied that it may be from "abuse"... amusing..eh? I tried not to laugh or get insulted.

Last edited by danbo56; 07-19-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,013 Likes on 5,373 Posts

What gears do you use for normal street driving? If you are running around town buzzing the engine in low gear the system will overheat and pump fluid out of the reservoir. Is there any oil coming out of the power steering pump seal or out of any of the lines attached to the pump. You may need to pull the left front wheel to get a better look.

This happens to a lot of cars that are tracked and see extended periods of high rpm usage. There are several solutions if you are running the engine at high rpms in a low gear. Stop doing it, get a Turn 1 PS pump, increase the cooling capacity by replacing the PS cooler with one that is twice as large.

Bill
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

clogged line...?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What gears do you use for normal street driving? If you are running around town buzzing the engine in low gear the system will overheat and pump fluid out of the reservoir. Is there any oil coming out of the power steering pump seal or out of any of the lines attached to the pump. You may need to pull the left front wheel to get a better look.

This happens to a lot of cars that are tracked and see extended periods of high rpm usage. There are several solutions if you are running the engine at high rpms in a low gear. Stop doing it, get a Turn 1 PS pump, increase the cooling capacity by replacing the PS cooler with one that is twice as large.

Bill
Hummm.... well around town I get 19-20 mpg. Not exactly spun up.
I'm wondering if it's a line squirting or maybe the cap. There is no PS fluid on ther cooler or any line near there. I don't see any fluid on the Pump proper...but the hood keeps getting soaked. I have a LGM vented hood w/o a liner so its' easy to see it wet
This is a very odd

Get notified of new replies

To power steering pump boil over

Quick Reply: [Z06] power steering pump boil over