Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question about ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done any modifications to the engine at all. The mods that were (possibly) done were from the previous owner, but they returned it to stock. I don't think they torqued things down to the correct specs so we'll see. As of today, they haven't even looked at it. The mechanic I took it to at first looked at the rollers and they were in good shape. This shouldn't be a problem on a $75,000 car that only has 18K miles on it.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Well, the dealership just called and they said that there's absolutely nothing wrong with my car. I'm guessing that that's good news, but it kind of leaves me wondering if they really checked it or I am just spooked by what I've read on the forum about the rocker arm issues. Nevertheless, thanks everyone for your input. I'm gonna go pick her up and "reaquaint" myself with her.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope it goes well....hope they're right.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by JJC5
Hope it goes well....hope they're right.
Thanks. Me too.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by TrooperDLA
It may be normal, but for what I paid for it, I want them to at least make a good faith effort and find out if there is something in there that needs to be fixed. From what a great and trustworthy mechanic showed me on mine, it isn't normal and the rocker pedestal has already been damaged as a result, so something is wrong in there. I guess we'll see. It could be a hundred different things or nothing at all. I'll keep everyone posted. I haven't heard from the dealership yet and I took it in yesterday. Hope they call today.
Ticking is not normal, as not all LS7's have it. A lot of LS7's have the ticking, but a lot don't, including my 09. There were a lot of reports several years ago about a defective o-ring in the oil reservoir that was causing a ticking noise. New o-ring installed and the ticking went away.

As you can see from the responses, many have the ticking but have no engine failures due to the ticking.

I don't have any chatter from my valve train either. The engine is very quiet. 15,000+ trouble free miles.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-21-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Capt_South_USMC
Is the ticking not normal? Mine ticks on acceleration and so does everyone else I know that has one. I have heard the tick in 4 different Z06s. Call me crazy. Or maybe ALL of our cars are messed up? I did wonder what it was but after hearing it in other guys cars I figured it was normal. My car was stock when I bought it. I have since added many mods pushing 660 HP and have not had a problem. But it still ticks...
Yes, they all tick..

Well, at least every 06-08' that I've been in (15) tick... YMMV
Old 07-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Swaydaa
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TIck

2009 with 10K....mine ticks
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Well I drove her home and ran through the gears. I'm pleased to report that she still ticks, but she runs like scalded dog. I'm done worrying about it. At least I'm not the only one. Thanks guys. Now for mods........
Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TrooperDLA
Well I drove her home and ran through the gears. I'm pleased to report that she still ticks, but she runs like scalded dog. I'm done worrying about it. At least I'm not the only one. Thanks guys. Now for mods........

When I first got mine, I was convinced that the ticking indicated a problem. I got to the same point you just did and have been enjoying her for several years since.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:51 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by HIRISC

When I first got mine, I was convinced that the ticking indicated a problem. I got to the same point you just did and have been enjoying her for several years since.
Okay good, I thought I was the only overbearing parent here. LOL
Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HIRISC

My point lol., my LS3 don't tick
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
My point lol., my LS3 don't tick
I'm now hiding from you - officially

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question about ticking noise