Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Please help - Alignment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please help - Alignment Problems

Hi Y'all,
When I purchased my 2006 Z06 with 21,000 miles I did notice the front right tire was more worn than any other tire on the vehicle. I noticed a slight pull to the right. I replaced all four tires at the same time with brand new Nitto Invos, stock sizes.

When driving completely straight on a flat non-crowned road you have to hold the wheel ever so slightly to the left to go straight. when you let go it gradually drifts right. When you hold the wheel straight you go right.

Had it aligned at a reputable shop with a hunter machine. It has the laser reflectors on each wheel.

First spec sheet:

Left the alignment shop and still noticed it. Took it right back and they put it back on the rack and it spec'd fine. They suggested that maybe I was driving on a crowned road.

Second spec sheet:

Drove it a couple hundred miles and took it back as i am sure it's not the road.

They did make an adjustment but yet the exact same problem persists.

Third spec sheet:

At this point either i need to take it to a different shop, or do y'all think there is something underlying my issue? The carfax and vin number come back clean but of course that does not mean my car is clean of damage.

I have yet to fully enjoy my car since I bought it because of this nagging issue in the back of my mind. when I was installing DRM shocks i noticed that the inside edge shows chopped wear on each block where on the left wheel the tire shows even line of wear. So I know the right tire is pointing toe right I think.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think the alignment shop knows what they are doing. If they just align to specs that could be the problem. For example on my 08 Z06 the front camber specs are anywhere between -1.0 and +1.2 degrees. That's a very wide range and if one wheel is set at -1.0 and the other is set at +1.0 it will be within specs but the tires won't wear even. When I bought the Z I could tell just by driving it that either the toe or caster was way out. The dealer offered to align it under warranty and I said no, I took it to a local corvette shop and had them align it. The caster was way out on both front wheels, spec is between 6.9 and 8.1 degrees, wheels were set at 8.6 and 8.5 to begin with, had them set caster to 7.9 left and 8.1 right (difference to compensate for my weight). Toe spec is between -0.05 and +0.15, both were at +0.15 which is in spec but I had them both set at +0.05. Before alignment I would be driving down the street and hit a little high spot in the asphalt and the car would dart that way, now the car is very stable and does not dart all over the road.

Another thing that bothers me is when you said one tire had chopped wear. I have never had that and don't know what could cause that.

Good luck...

Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be tire pull. If the fabrication of the tire is not exact on both sides you can get this. Even though it pulls slightly to the right, and if it is aligned properly, it won't wear.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Once youv'e worn a tire wrong it is almost always gona finish it;s life that way no matter how well the alignment was corrected. Sounds lik your car took a good curb ck in its life to wear only one tire?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I don't think the alignment shop knows what they are doing. If they just align to specs that could be the problem. For example on my 08 Z06 the front camber specs are anywhere between -1.0 and +1.2 degrees. That's a very wide range and if one wheel is set at -1.0 and the other is set at +1.0 it will be within specs but the tires won't wear even. When I bought the Z I could tell just by driving it that either the toe or caster was way out. The dealer offered to align it under warranty and I said no, I took it to a local corvette shop and had them align it. The caster was way out on both front wheels, spec is between 6.9 and 8.1 degrees, wheels were set at 8.6 and 8.5 to begin with, had them set caster to 7.9 left and 8.1 right (difference to compensate for my weight). Toe spec is between -0.05 and +0.15, both were at +0.15 which is in spec but I had them both set at +0.05. Before alignment I would be driving down the street and hit a little high spot in the asphalt and the car would dart that way, now the car is very stable and does not dart all over the road.

Another thing that bothers me is when you said one tire had chopped wear. I have never had that and don't know what could cause that.

Good luck...

Did the same thing with mine.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I had one do the same on my 09 I purchased new a year ago. It was all in the alignment,however as stated above once in this shape even with good alignment it will continue to wear badly. I replaced my tires straightened out the alignment and it is 100% better. My alignment was bad from the factory was originally corrected under warranty.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:46 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The absolute cross camber value gets bigger every time they touched the vehicle.

I guess I'll try a different shop. If anyone knows of a good place in Dallas let me know.

On the tires I think if I switch the fr tire to the lf wheel and lf tire to the rf wheel they may be salvageable.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help - Alignment Problems

Quick Reply: [Z06] Please help - Alignment Problems