Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Good comparison.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

add some hoosiers and those street tires will feel like vasoline
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
add some hoosiers and those street tires will feel like vasoline
And just the opposite if its wet.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Doesn't the Z07 come with PTM, same as the ZR1?? From what I've been hearing about PTM, that in itself is what really shines (all else being equal like tires, power, weight and brakes). I just took a road trip with my 'regular' Z06 (with Nito 05's and 525 rwhp) that included many miles of hair pin corners over two mountain passes with a great view of 1500' drops over the guardrail. I found out that my gonads are not nearly big enough to push the car to its limits with the G-meter consistently hitting between .7G - .9G. I also found out that this car tends to want more speed into, through and out the corners; much more than I could give it without crying like a baby. I need to go to Bondurant I reckon, because I'm never going to find this car's limits without some professional help and moral support.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Doesn't the Z07 come with PTM, same as the ZR1??
For 2012, yes.

jas
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07 Ed
Thread wear on the Cups is 080. That means they will last only about a third of the miles.
Thanks. 80. It will be interesting to see how this actually works in the every day real world. The Cup tires for all their magnificent grip, may be a bit expensive to run as a DD.

By the way, I have a 2011, black on ebony, ZO7 with carbon fiber package. It doesn't get much better than this car. I am totally blessed to have it. Near perfect for me.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
0Mike@Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice review, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:22 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesn't the Z07 come with PTM, same as the ZR1?? From what I've been hearing about PTM, that in itself is what really shines (all else being equal like tires, power, weight and brakes). I just took a road trip with my 'regular' Z06 (with Nito 05's and 525 rwhp) that included many miles of hair pin corners over two mountain passes with a great view of 1500' drops over the guardrail. I found out that my gonads are not nearly big enough to push the car to its limits with the G-meter consistently hitting between .7G - .9G. I also found out that this car tends to want more speed into, through and out the corners; much more than I could give it without crying like a baby. I need to go to Bondurant I reckon, because I'm never going to find this car's limits without some professional help and moral support.
You speak honestly for many of us. I took Spring Mountain in June and it helped a lot.......but your words ring true for what it takes to really be where one needs to be to properly drive these cars.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
samanatoo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a acr viper for 8 months. It has the cup tires on it, they were the stickiest tires I have ever felt hense ****** mileage. The rear wing on the acr works very well. Too bad unless u r under 6 ft then you feel comfy in it. I picked the vette. the 2012 zr1 with sport cup tires should be awsome.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:39 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
I had a 2Lz Z06 for about year and recently purchased a 3LZ Z07.

Handling / Tires: I am used to taking onramps and other turns I am very familiar with in my Z06 at certain speeds. Recently driving the Z07 makes me realize how vastly superior the handling on the Z07 really is. In the Z06 I can feel the car start hitting it's peak and am hesitant to push it anymore. When taking the same turns in the Z07, I am able to push it significantly harder. The sport mode is fantastic but the touring mode is also awesome. There are certain bumps and bad parts of the road around my hometown which I have to slow down for. When in the touring mode, it feels more like a luxury sedan gliding over the bumps opposed to me being used to lifting my a$$ up in anticipation for the rough road. Accelerating out of turns is far superior in the Z07 due to the sticker / wider tires and suspension. The car grips much better and really uses the power more efficiently.

Braking: There really is a dramatic difference. The Z07 simply gives you more confidence in stopping the vehicle. The brakes are just straight godly. I feel safer in the Z07 than I thought imaginable. It stops in situations with ease where the Z06 may struggle to come to a halt in time.

Carbon fiber roof, front splitter, side skirts, Zr1 wheels / Spoiler: When lined up next to the Z06, the Z07 just looks lower, meaner, and wider. Alone with the black roof, black side skirts, black splitter, and comp gray Zr1 wheels, it just gives it a much sportier look.

Off topic 2LZ vs 3LZ: I am not sure if the leather, stitching, etc in the 3LZ is worth the price difference, but it does give you a more luxurious feeling

Overall: I switch between these two cars just about daily, and it is almost dangerous to get comfortable in the Z07 and then jump in the Z06. You expect the Z06 to perform as the Z07 does and it simply cannot. The Z06 just seems to be a have a lot looser feel while the Z07 feels like it is just attached to the pavement. Between the handling, braking and tires, the Z07 really is able to use a lot more of the 505hp in all situations. For the price, IDK if the Z07 is worth THAT much more, due to price being subjective. It is hard to put a price tag on sheer performance. But for me in my financial situation, I would not change my decision in a second. The Z07 is a straight beast.
Great review however I must ask a few questions. Are you driving the ZO6 on its' OEM Goodyears and do you really street drive your Z's that hard that the ZO7 option was required or was it "I have to have it purchase?. I would love a ZO7 or ZR1 but only looking at either as a collector car or track warrior. The standard ZO6, FOR THE STREET, is more street Vette than anyone needs. Better tires and Bilsteins will enhance the stock ZO6 experience.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Well wrote and very honest. Would love to book a trip there also.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Tires make a big difference. Put the Michelin PS2's on the Z06(as thousands have done) and it will feel much more secure in the twisties and straight line acceleration and also braking. Even the runner up Bridgestone's will make the OE Goodyear's seem like dog poopie.

I get the feeling you are dissing the Z06 when you should be dissing the Goodyear tires that are OE on the base Z06.
Bridgestones on ever since . after my round trip 180* on OEM's
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
soulcoaxing
Acct suspended by request 21 Sept 2011

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LTVN68

By the way, I have a 2011, black on ebony, ZO7 with carbon fiber package. It doesn't get much better than this car. I am totally blessed to have it. Near perfect for me.
Me too: SSB W/Carbon package. For fun, I've gotten some off the cuff prices for retro fitting a Z06 with the Z07/ZR1 Brembo brakes and it was quoted from between $10k and $15k, and that did not include changing the wheel size to the 21/20, and the tires. I think, but I'm not certain, that you would need the larger wheels to fit those 15 1/2" diameter carbon drilled rotors in, with those awesome 6 piston ceramic rear brake calipers. Anyway, the brakes are scary GOOD, the selective ride control, dual tone exhaust, suspension, extra cooling, and carbon body parts are the KIND. No regrets here!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Tires make a big difference. Put the Michelin PS2's on the Z06(as thousands have done) and it will feel much more secure in the twisties and straight line acceleration and also braking. Even the runner up Bridgestone's will make the OE Goodyear's seem like dog poopie.

I get the feeling you are dissing the Z06 when you should be dissing the Goodyear tires that are OE on the base Z06.
That and a set Pfadt adjustables and stainless steel brake lines and your just about there.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
CrystalRedZ07
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Great review - I totally agree!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith N
I believe the Michelin tires on the 2011 Z07 and ZR1 are the PS2 ZP (run flats). They have a 220 treadwear rating. IMO - They are very good tires and a big improvement over the older Goodyear run flats.
I put those on my Z06. They are nice.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I take my hat off to those of you who have a Z07. With all due respect there are several incremental upgrades to the Z07 but it’s not the ones being discussed on this thread that make it feel like a different car. The combination of these incremental upgrades makes a difference but it’s the insertion of one huge technological improvement that makes the Z07 superior to my Z06.

The Magnetic Ride Control is the worlds fastest reacting suspension system resulting in real-time, continuous variable control of vehicle damping. By design the driver feels a greater sense of security with smooth, well controlled ride motions, and more precise and responsive handling, particularly on uneven surfaces and during challenging maneuvers. The system helps maximizes the amount of tire patch in contact with the road. It isolates and smoothes the actions of each tire, resulting in less bouncing, vibration and noise. At all speeds, on all road surfaces and twisting variations, the system integrates with ABS and traction control to keep the vehicle balanced and poised.

For what it's worth, I have wheels and tires from a 2011 ZR1 on my 2006 Z06. They are Michelin ZPs and they do make a huge difference in every perceptible ride and handling category.

Last edited by hiznhrz; 08-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...

Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a 2011 GS vert' with MAG control and was disappointed with the ride quality. It handled the poor roads just as bad as any other Vette I've driven. I believe the culprit was the stiff springs which the MSRC can't seem to completely compensate for.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 08-04-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is true of the majority of Corvette drivers and of course there's nothing wrong with it. Most of it's owners do not realize this and it makes most opinions somewhat less valid.

A Corvette Z06/ZR1 is a nasty fast and extremely capable automobile. IMO it is not a beginners car. It's just that GM has done such an incredible job at taming the beast with it's nannies that it feels less threatening with every new and even better version.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the cost of Z07 approaching ZR1 and ZR1 having more power and all the stuff Z07 comes with, what is exactly the point of buying Z07? If handling is the problem, swapping tires is considerably cheaper than buying Z07.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs Z07 Thoughts after first few weeks...