Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] California Legal Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default California Legal Mods

Hey guys...

I tried searching through the forums, but I seemed to stumble on to threads that were more concerned with the pros/cons of living in CA. My intention is NOT to start that debate here...again.

I am currently living in AZ and will hopefully be relocating to Southern CA sometime in the next year for work. I have a 2006 Z06 that I bought used in March of this year.

As I approach the 6 month mark I am starting to get the itch to make some modifications. It is, and will be, my daily driver for the next couple years - so I am going to stick with minor modifications for now. Intake, full exhaust, tune, and cosmetics. Then a couple years down the road when I have another daily driver I'll get more serious with internal engine modifications.

What I'm concerned about are any modifications that will affect my ability to register the car in CA. Or is there an exception for modifications done to the car while it was registered out of state?

My next concern would be any limits to modifications that I can perform once in CA.

Any help, insight, and advice would be much appreciated! From the forums I've already read I've decided to deal with AAA in lieu of the DMV ...
Old 08-14-2011, 12:17 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra
Hey guys...

I tried searching through the forums, but I seemed to stumble on to threads that were more concerned with the pros/cons of living in CA. My intention is NOT to start that debate here...again.

I am currently living in AZ and will hopefully be relocating to Southern CA sometime in the next year for work. I have a 2006 Z06 that I bought used in March of this year.

As I approach the 6 month mark I am starting to get the itch to make some modifications. It is, and will be, my daily driver for the next couple years - so I am going to stick with minor modifications for now. Intake, full exhaust, tune, and cosmetics. Then a couple years down the road when I have another daily driver I'll get more serious with internal engine modifications.

What I'm concerned about are any modifications that will affect my ability to register the car in CA. Or is there an exception for modifications done to the car while it was registered out of state?

My next concern would be any limits to modifications that I can perform once in CA.

Any help, insight, and advice would be much appreciated! From the forums I've already read I've decided to deal with AAA in lieu of the DMV ...
You can check the california DMV website. I believe if you are relocating here the car in its stock form can easily be registered even if it does not have the CA certificate option. Most cars do these days though. As far as mods, cat backs are fine, no one makes a CARB legal set of headers as far as I know. Internal mods are harder to check, so you might get away with mild cam and heads. Good luck
Old 08-14-2011, 08:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default California LEGAL mods....

1) Wheels
2) Tires
3) brake pads
4) brake fluid
5) Whatever is on your stereo
Old 08-14-2011, 11:37 PM
jamsvet
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

You sure brake pads are OK? Could be environmental problems with too much brake dust.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 AM
The running man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.killcarb.org
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 AM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra
Hey guys...

Basically all you have to worry about is passing through the tailpipe. Shorty headers are legal, but absolutely no long tubes are allowed in CA. That being said, if you can conceal the long tubes, or find someone to overlook them....then you'll be back to just passing out of the tailpipe and everything is fine. And of course no check engine lights or any other blatant smog infractions.

You can also just swap between a stock and modded exhaust every other year, but depending on you.....this may start to become a pain in the *** (It was for me with my old cars, that's why the Z isn't getting touched). I would stick to a tune and cat back mods and not worry about the headache....but that's just me.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If your car is registered out of state and has illegal parts for CA, you will not be able to reg the car here. Example is headers, while headers are legal here they must have a CARB number on them as do other emission parts that are changed. From the cats back, those are not an issue.

So if you have parts already on your car in Az, that are not legal here, change them back to stock or order CARB approved parts and install them.

You will be pleasantly surprised to learn at least our registration fees are cheaper than Arizonas by a substantial amount.

As for your emissions sticker, the fact that your car is older than one year old and has more than 7500 miles on it, the emissions sticker does not have to be CA approved.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

a 50 state carb legal supercharger would work nicely
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
a 50 state carb legal supercharger would work nicely
Edelbrock E-Force is CARB approved.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No headers are CARB approved, no aftermarket cats are CARB approved.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by haljensen
No headers are CARB approved, no aftermarket cats are CARB approved.
Well that's not 100% accurate. Long tube headers are NOT CARB approved, but there are plenty of shorty headers that are CARB legal. But from most of the tests I've seen, the stock LS7 shorty headers are pretty high flowing, so you would only see minimal improvement by going with a set of aftermarket shorties or something. Although I do know of a guy that pulled the CARB plaque off of his JBA shorties, and welded it onto a set of long tubes and he's passed visual without any issues for several years now.

There are also several high flowing cats that are legal. As long as the cats are physically there, and you pass out the tailpipe....no one cares if they are high flowing or not.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:23 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TapOut
Well that's not 100% accurate. Long tube headers are NOT CARB approved, but there are plenty of shorty headers that are CARB legal. But from most of the tests I've seen, the stock LS7 shorty headers are pretty high flowing, so you would only see minimal improvement by going with a set of aftermarket shorties or something. Although I do know of a guy that pulled the CARB plaque off of his JBA shorties, and welded it onto a set of long tubes and he's passed visual without any issues for several years now.

There are also several high flowing cats that are legal. As long as the cats are physically there, and you pass out the tailpipe....no one cares if they are high flowing or not.
I guess you haven't read the regulations too well. "Original catalytic converters in the orignal location" is part of the regs. No allowance for any aftermaket cats.

There are NO shorty headers for the C6 that are CARB approved, matter of fact there are no headers at all that are CARB approved.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by haljensen
I guess you haven't read the regulations too well. "Original catalytic converters in the orignal location" is part of the regs. No allowance for any aftermaket cats.

There are NO shorty headers for the C6 that are CARB approved, matter of fact there are no headers at all that are CARB approved.
There are plenty of headers that are CARB approved. Edelbrock has several. Unfortunately none for the C6 and it looks like CARB hasn't granted many in the last few years. To see for yourself go to this page http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php and select exhaust systems to browse by device.

To the OP, basically you can't do anything to the powertrain unless it's CARB approved and right now for the C6 that means only a few superchargers.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I know on my 2002 Z06 I had SLP long tubes with high flow cats and a blackwing intake. That was all and it didn't pass the sniffer. A tune might've helped.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I just knew our Mexican friend was driving an ILLEGAL car!

Jim
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What many dont realize about Cats, is the closer they are to the head exhaust ports, the quicker the light off on cold starts. The car is certified with this design, and one of the things they'll likely be looking for. Also, the Cats may not get as hot mounted behind long tubes. As already mentioned, these cars have SS shorties from the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To California Legal Mods

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 AM
trickability
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the running man
im with you 1,00000000000000 percent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 AM
Alfreds Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The words California and legal do not go together
Old 09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The running man
Sigh.

Quick Reply: [Z06] California Legal Mods