Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DD the Vette or get a CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default DD the Vette or get a CTS-V?

I currently own a 08 Z06,

and I love the car, I use it for fun and weekend stuff. but My 2001 silverado that has been my DD as been having some issues lately, they have been fixed but I have been contemplating getting a new truck. Although I really don't want to, I have made allot of custom touches. Not to mention I would like to go to grad school in the spring and want to use the money I would spend on another car payment, on the school. So I have been thinking about trading in my Z06 for a 09-10 CTS-V. I would use the CTS-V as a DD and relegate the truck to special duty. I have thought about driving the Z06 as a DD but it attracts allot of negative attention and the ride is too rough for the roads around here. Not to mention the tires are costly and don't last long. Plus it is so low, it is very nerve racking in traffic. I have been using my wife's GT as a DD and really like it, but will need to give it back to her once we move. I like her car because it has good power, is high enough off the ground that I don't worry about every little thing. I miss the visibility (around traffic) of the truck, but the GT is ok and a good compromise, since I don't feel like I can see anything in the vette.

If I got the V I would do an Exhaust and Intake fairly soon. eventually a tune and pulley to try to match to Z06 power.

I know there are those who DD their vette and I am not too sure how you do it. It would also nice to have a sedan for going out with friends.

Thoughts?

Last edited by stone150; 08-31-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having both, they are both awesome cars in their own way. It sounds like you know what you want and kinda have your mind made up. I can tell you the v is badass. I have the v wagon and did the pulley, intake, bigger injectors and a tune. Put down 550 to the wheels. More than enough to keep up with a stock z and enough to beat a c6. Get the v and enjoy. Later on you can always get a z! Good luck on your decision and with grad school!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

CTS-V. Better ride, more useful, and less negative attention. Probably cheaper to insure as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Like Jimmy Carter - I'm lusting for a CTS-V wagon.

Tom
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Hooked4Life
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Trade in the Z06, drive a CST-V, and go back to school, it can pay off allot...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 PM
stone150
Racer

Originally Posted by FamousRR
Having both, they are both awesome cars in their own way. It sounds like you know what you want and kinda have your mind made up. I can tell you the v is badass. I have the v wagon and did the pulley, intake, bigger injectors and a tune. Put down 550 to the wheels. More than enough to keep up with a stock z and enough to beat a c6. Get the v and enjoy. Later on you can always get a z! Good luck on your decision and with grad school!
Haven't made up my mind quite yet, but heading that way. But your advice helps allot.

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
CTS-V. Better ride, more useful, and less negative attention. Probably cheaper to insure as well.
That's what I'm thinking, Need to find out about insurance.

Originally Posted by Hooked4Life
Trade in the Z06, drive a CST-V, and

go back to school, it can pay off allot...
Thanks!

That's what I'm hoping!

Right now my biggest opponent to the V is my wife. She likes CTS-V's but she loves the vette. We never got to test drive one before we bought the vette, so that is the first thing we need to do. I think she also wants to keep the vette because we used the car to drive across country to get married. She also says I wanted the car for a long time, which is true, but I also wanted a V since they were announced in 08, the Z just came out first.
I also think of the reasons I bought the Z; it's mind bending performance the cost, not to mention the LS7 is only used in that car and GM will probably never make an engine that Large again. Not to mention the extra engineering over the normal vette. Although the same can be said for the V (except the whole LS7 thing). Plus when I got it from the original owner (with 1800 miles, now has 10,600) I got an GM extended Major guard warranty with it for $50 until 2015. We did test drive a C63 AMG and a Camaro SS and she did like them, but they didn't hold a candle to the Z.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily drive it. If you get tired of it, then get a CTS-V.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
I am in the camp that says drive the Z. It is a car and I must tell you that I love driving mine every day at age 64. You can always get the old man's car when you don't get around as well. I have a 07 and it is my dd with 55k miles. Not a problem. Great ride with great power. Z all the way baby Z all the way
Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Exactly what kind of negative attention do you get in the Z? I use a 93 Honda Prelude as a DD by the way. I have an 08 JSB also. Don't give it up.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:28 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I was in your shoes awhile ago. I traded my 08Z for a 750 BMW sport w/ every option. Loved being in a sedan again and it was a great car in many respects, loved it. Used it as a DD. 6 mnths in I was really missing my Z. after 12 mnths I started making moves to get back to a Z which I did. It was just part of my lifestyle. If you know your getting one down the line...don't get rid of it. It cost me to go back! Now I'm using my truck again and have a new Z but it was an expensive experiment. Fix the truck or use the Z till you can. There have been a couple of posts here of guys who went to the cts-v and went back. JAS I believe was one of them.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 AM
ole
Racer

Thoughts? I would love too .I would drag race a lot .
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 AM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to daily drive either the Vette or CTS-V, I would go with the CTS-V. It's more practical in my mind as a daily driver. Back seat for kids and/or friends, trunk for more storage/groceries/stuff, comfort, nice ride and still have 556HP.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by seamus2154
There have been a couple of posts here of guys who went to the cts-v and went back. JAS I believe was one of them.
I traded my 2.5 year old '07 Z06 in for a new '09 CTS-V back in April of '09. The suspension and ride of the Z06 was really getting to me, and the lack of adjustable seats was a real pisser. I loved it on the race track but it just got tiresome on the road.

And for what it's worth, any fast car I own is my daily as well as my track terror as well as my grocery getter as well as... I won't own a car and not drive it daily.

The V was and is a phenomenal car. There really was nothing wrong with it at all. But the Vette was more fun. However, I still didn't care for the idea of dealing with the uncomfortable ride of the Z06, so I carefully managed my finances to get a ZR1 instead.

Do I regret selling the Z06 and getting the CTS-V for all of 9 months? No. Did I lose money on the deal? Oh HELL yes. Were I wealthy enough, I'd certainly have a new manual-transmission V sedan in my garage along side the ZR1. It's just that great a car.

But, I'm not. So I'm going to stick with the Vette. It all depends on what the OP wants out of a vehicle and none of us can make that call for him. He's gotta figure it out himself.

jas
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 AM
stone150
Racer

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
Been thinking about going that route.

Originally Posted by Mdm23
Exactly what kind of negative attention do you get in the Z? I use a 93 Honda Prelude as a DD by the way. I have an 08 JSB also. Don't give it up.
Just snide comments at work and weird looks on the street. The problem is the car is the nicest and most flashy at out manufacturing facility where I currently work and is probably in the top 10% at our corporate headquarters.

A 93 Honda probably gets allot better MPG then a modified 01 Silverado

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I was in your shoes awhile ago. I traded my 08Z for a 750 BMW sport w/ every option. Loved being in a sedan again and it was a great car in many respects, loved it. Used it as a DD. 6 mnths in I was really missing my Z. after 12 mnths I started making moves to get back to a Z which I did. It was just part of my lifestyle. If you know your getting one down the line...don't get rid of it. It cost me to go back! Now I'm using my truck again and have a new Z but it was an expensive experiment. Fix the truck or use the Z till you can. There have been a couple of posts here of guys who went to the cts-v and went back. JAS I believe was one of them.
That is one thing I am afraid of, I did it when I bought a trans-am. I had a 97 F150 (first vehicle) sold it to get a 96 Trans-am WS6, loved the power but hated not having a truck. Sold it after 9 months to buy my current truck (6 years ago). I love driving trucks and that is my primary vehicle of choice, but I'm a car nut and love the power.

I look down the road and think I can always buy another, but I doubt GM will ever make another like it and if i picked up a used one, It probably wouldn't be this color (which I love) or this good of condition. Although people do hold on to vettes and generally take care of them, so who knows.

The battle as I said is between responsibility and fun. The V is never going to be A Z, just too heavy for the same feeling. But as with all the expensive things that I have owned and rarely use, I look at it as a waste of money, just sitting there as liquid cash to be used for something that I would get more use out of. That's where allot of my indecisiveness comes in.

It would be hard for me to DD the vette becuase, with the truck if it got a rock chip, ding, or something I was mad, but I knew one day I would sell it. It bothers me in the mean time, but oh well. If I kept the vette and used it as a DD, I don't know if their would be a replacement down the road, and may go back to being a garage queen, then I just have a beat up garage queen.

Originally Posted by ole
Thoughts? I would love too .I would drag race a lot .
That's the other thing, I don't take it to the track, I mainly use the power for entering traffic, passing on the hwy, and to feel the rush when playing around, but I'm always paranoid of cops.

Originally Posted by TORQJNKY
If I had to daily drive either the Vette or CTS-V, I would go with the CTS-V. It's more practical in my mind as a daily driver. Back seat for kids and/or friends, trunk for more storage/groceries/stuff, comfort, nice ride and still have 556HP.
I've always been a solitary person, Never went to lunch with co workers and I only have a few good friends I would do anything with, or just do stuff with my now wife. But since the beginning of this year and really since our marriage. we have been going out with more couples and co-workers. So we either have to take their car or my truck, which isn't the most comfortable. Plus kids will be in the picture down the road. But i still have the truck.

Originally Posted by Jvp
I traded my 2.5 year old '07 Z06 in for a new '09 CTS-V back in April of '09. The suspension and ride of the Z06 was really getting to me, and the lack of adjustable seats was a real pisser. I loved it on the race track but it just got tiresome on the road.

And for what it's worth, any fast car I own is my daily as well as my track terror as well as my grocery getter as well as... I won't own a car and not drive it daily.

The V was and is a phenomenal car. There really was nothing wrong with it at all. But the Vette was more fun. However, I still didn't care for the idea of dealing with the uncomfortable ride of the Z06, so I carefully managed my finances to get a ZR1 instead.

Do I regret selling the Z06 and getting the CTS-V for all of 9 months? No. Did I lose money on the deal? Oh HELL yes. Were I wealthy enough, I'd certainly have a new manual-transmission V sedan in my garage along side the ZR1. It's just that great a car.

But, I'm not. So I'm going to stick with the Vette. It all depends on what the OP wants out of a vehicle and none of us can make that call for him. He's gotta figure it out himself.

jas
Like you I have a hard time justifying the cost and not using it, that is where allot of the issue for me comes in. I feel I would get allot more use out of the V and be able to enjoy it much more.

I originally bought the Vette with the intention of using it as a partial DD, and when I worked in corporate, that wasn't too much an issue. I just hopped on the hwy and no biggie, here is a different story, plus If it rained I always took the truck. I have a feeling if I tried that again, i would go right back to the truck. But the same thing could happen with the V, but I wouldn't feel as bad about using it daily. Plus I really don't want to take the Z to a college campus.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Caddies are about 1100 lbs heavier, and drink more gas. Something worth throwing into the mix.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
merim123
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

i say keep the vette, you picked a good year and color my buddy at work has the V and it's a nice car with the recaro's but it's no vette either. the only thing that would make the vette nicer to dd is for some better seats, maybe the CR1s or something along those lines.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM
kirks5oh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
The Caddies are about 1100 lbs heavier, and drink more gas. Something worth throwing into the mix.
+1.

with a pulley, the caddy will be every bit as fast as stock z06. much better interior, ride quality, seats, etc. i have both cars, and love them both for different reasons. i would NOT want to daily the z06 though. i went from a GTO to the caddy---its quite an upgrade (of course), but one thing that shocked me was the usage of gas with the caddy. i almost think something is broke with the caddy because i go through gas like you could not imagine.

still, its a fantastic car.

Get notified of new replies

To DD the Vette or get a CTS-V?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Racie
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Totally agree! I have one and I'm selling it as of last night! I'm going back to a Z06! Fuel consumption is ridiculous, my bbc 502 in my 68 truck matches this thing if not better! I feel GM could worked a little more magic on this thing. It's a great car don't get me wrong but I keep finding myself comparing the fuel to my past Z06's. I got the car for a dd because I have a daughter now but now I don't even pick her up from day care as much so the wife is pissed that i'm about to change after 3 months again but oh well! I posted in other cars section about this last night! Lol...Z06 I'm coming back!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...lac-cts-v.html
Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by stone150
That's the other thing, I don't take it to the track, I mainly use the power for entering traffic, passing on the hwy, and to feel the rush when playing around, but I'm always paranoid of cops.
Cops don't care what you're driving, they care how you're driving. That said, if you're not a track dog, then it's likely you won't much miss the Z06. The V's immediate grunt and short gearing will help you catapult through traffic quite a bit quicker than you might expect. It really is a fast car.

I just hopped on the hwy and no biggie, here is a different story, plus If it rained I always took the truck.
Rain, rock chips, scuffs, etc, are part of owning a car. It is, at the end of the day, just a car. There are precisely two times I don't drive my ZR1: when it's snowing, or when I actually need the truck to carry something. Otherwise, it's the car. Rain, shine, whatever.

jas
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stone150,

How many miles are on your truck? Do you think it will not last much longer as a daily driver? Depending on the miles, a few repairs can be made and the truck will last a very long time. I really think you will regret getting rid of your Z.

Quick Reply: [Z06] DD the Vette or get a CTS-V?