Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hood insulation, what purpose does it serve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
spekterg35
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
While I agree this makes some sense and totally respect your input, then I would ask why is it that many cars don't come with them? My buddy's S2000 (honda) doesn't have one and neither does my friends truck.

Also not sure about everyone else, but my liner sits right on top of my intake and other parts (I can see their impression on the liner), so not sure it can drop down any further as they are already sitting snug on top of the intake. Also there are like 8 plastic snaps about the size of a silver dollar, which would take quite a while to completely melt away (which I would be long gone out of the car by then). I am going with the sound deadening.
The reason all cars don't come with them is the reason all cars don't pillar mounted airbags or get 5 star crash safety ratings. The manufactures carefully measure out the cost/benefit/liability of having or not having safety equipment, charging the customer for it (explicitly in the case of some airbags) or facing a lawsuit in case of fiery injury. While we would all like to think our cars are 100% safe, the manufacturers realize the chance, however slim, that a fire may occur in the engine bay. In case of fire, the manufacturer has to ensure that the car gives the customer the necessary time to evac before being burned alive. Knowing the issues associated with the electrically operated door system and customers ignorance to the emergency handle at their feet, GM knew they would need all the time they could get. In an S2000, you just rip your way out the roof.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger1
I would take it out... as it just keeps the heat in the engine bay..

I took mine off, when I bought my car.. looks cleaner..

Garry
Had mine off my 2011 GS within the first week.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

Mines off as well, " F " ing squirels eat a hole in it!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 AM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
did she paint that on? thats awesome
Yup, acrylic paint and a brush and a couple of hours
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Madclown
Advanced

I am a carrer Firefighter and have seen hundreds of car fires, (there are alot of car fires believe it or not). The hood liner is designed to fall off of the plastic tabs and smother the fire. Sometimes they work very good and sometimes they don't. It all depends on the severity of the problem that started the fire and the material involved in the ignition. I don't think it has anything to do with "buying the occupants more time to exit the vehicle" thats what the firewall does. It is more to reduce the amount of damage done by a small fire. I also agree it helps protect the paint on the hood, a thermal barrier.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:54 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have pulled mine off of every corvette I have ever owned. I find being able to hear what is going on under the hood better to be a plus. I also like the benefit of the air being able to circulate under the hood better while cruising and standing still. It also just looks better too.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hood insulation, what purpose does it serve?