Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Aftermarket Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Aftermarket Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Interesting read.

Anyone had this issue?

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...=4042#Post4042

-- Joe
Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

The info in that link sounds like a GM document to service departments and techs.

It sounds like typical GM alarmist and over reactive concern about anything aftermarket - if a car comes in with a problem and has any aftermarket parts on it, the aftermarket parts MUST be the problem!!!

That being said, I have heard of a couple of cases of what that info addresses, but only a couple, and I think the problem is easily solved by making sure everything is grounded well for good electrical connectivity.

However, I've had SS hoses on my Z06 for several years and have never had any problem at all. They do require a little more attention to maintaining them - I inspect them closely whenever I'm preparing the car for a track event, but they have held up okay for several years.

However #2, I'll never put them on another car. When my SS hoses need replacement I'll reinstall my OE ones.

Owners think the SS hoses are going to give them a firmer pedal and allow them to modulate the braking better from threshold braking to trail braking.

The OE rubber hoses on the Vette are actually very good, and you can modulate brake pressure very, very effectively with the stock brake system on our cars.

My ZR1 is strictly a street car, but I like to drive it in a spirited manner - my wife is always squawking about her neck and back when I'm cornering because I like to try to be smooth but I also like to try modulating brakes while turning fairly aggressively.

I did thrash Spring Mountain's cars around. They are completely stock and you do a bunch of braking exercises and you find that the stock brake system gives great feedback and feel when modulating pressure in those exercises and during your track sessions.

So.....If you're asking because you're interested in putting SS hoses on your ZR1 (or any other C5 or C6) I'd recommend to just leave it stock, even if you're going to do a bunch of track day events.

If your car is an out-and-out race car and you're doing hard corps racing and looking for every 1/10 of a second to get podium positions and better sponsorships, go for the SS hoses. Otherwise, leave it stock.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stainless hoses are pretty, but a waste of money even if not harmful.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Aftermarket Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines