Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Fuel Induction Service"

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Default "Fuel Induction Service"

Just wondering how effective or important is this fuel induction cleaning that GM reccomends every 15K on the 'Z'. Is there a noticeable difference in idle or performance and is it worth the money, $140. The dealer says that is the only thing due on my '08' at this time. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

I've never done that service on any one of my GM vehicles. My Avalanche has 74k on ot and I use techron in it once a month and BG44k once a year. No fuel system issues. My Z gets techron every other tankful. No issues.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the response "Prime Target". I guess a bottle of Techron will do it. I always fill with Chevron 91 anyway, so I guess I'll be alright.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Don't see any "fuel induction cleaning" in my Owner's Manual at 15K or any other scheduled maintenance time. I'd go with the Techron.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

According to GM, if you use a "Top Tier" gasoline, you don't need any additional fuel services/maintenance.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
Don't see any "fuel induction cleaning" in my Owner's Manual at 15K or any other scheduled maintenance time. I'd go with the Techron.

GM doesn't recommend a fuel system service on any of their vehicles that I know of. I have three of them and none of their owner's manuals say anything about a fuel system service. Maybe its something the dealer recommended.

Bill
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

We don't have Chevron gas locally, but I only use Top Tier gasoline, Conoco/Phillips, as I can purchase 94 octane ethanol free in Springfield, MO. About once a year I do run a 20 oz bottle of Techron through my Z06 and also my supercharged Mercedes.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

GM doesn't recommend a fuel system service on any of their vehicles that I know of. I have three of them and none of their owner's manuals say anything about a fuel system service. Maybe its something the dealer recommended.

Bill
Page 5-7 of my 2009 owners manual...

"For customers who do not use TOP TIER Detergent
Gasoline regularly, one bottle of GM Fuel System
Treatment PLUS, added to the fuel tank at every engine
oil change, can help clean deposits from fuel injectors
and intake valves. GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is
the only gasoline additive recommended by General
Motors."

I read somewhere that the GM Fuel System treatment PLUS is repackaged Chevron Techron.

I see you have a 2008 and from the 2008 owners manual..."In
most cases, you should not have to add anything to the
fuel. However, some gasolines contain only the
minimum amount of additive required to meet U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency regulations. To help
keep fuel injectors and intake valves clean, or if
your vehicle experiences problems due to dirty injectors
or valves, look for gasoline that is advertised as TOP
TIER Detergent Gasoline. Also, your dealer/retailer has
additives that will help correct and prevent most
deposit-related problems."

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-27-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM
StreetRacingGuy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 bottle of SEAFOAM engine treatment in the tank yearly. Nothing more is needed.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:26 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
According to GM, if you use a "Top Tier" gasoline, you don't need any additional fuel services/maintenance.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the responses. I think it must be a "Dealer recc. service" from the looks of it. I'm not having any problems at present with the fuel system. Just like to keeping up with reccomended maintenance. Think I'll just stay with the Techron additive and like I said, I only use Chevron, so I'm sure its considered a top tier gas.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:20 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

$140 to put a bottle of cleaner in you tank? Either that stuff is worth it's weight in gold or they are just generating a pay day at your expense. Personally, and this is just my opinion, insinuating that it is required and charging $140 equals fraud. If it isn't fraud, I will buy the stuff and they can send all of their customers to me and I will do it for $135 all day long. I don't think it will take me long to get that ZR1 I have been dreaming about.
Gary
Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
$140 to put a bottle of cleaner in you tank? Either that stuff is worth it's weight in gold or they are just generating a pay day at your expense. Personally, and this is just my opinion, insinuating that it is required and charging $140 equals fraud. If it isn't fraud, I will buy the stuff and they can send all of their customers to me and I will do it for $135 all day long. I don't think it will take me long to get that ZR1 I have been dreaming about.
Gary

The Buick/GMC dealer in Northeast Dallas (on LBJ Freeway) always tried to get me to do it on my Yukon.

Since i started going to Chevy dealersship they have NEVER tried to get me to do this.

FWIW, my Yukon just turned 91k this week. Last week I had the 100k service done to it. The spark plugs were 'beautiful' for 90k miles. Not one speck of carbon build up or burnt oil. It runs as good today as it did on day one (new). It idles perfectly smooth.

I have ALWAYS used top tier gasoline in my Yukon. Every once in awhile I add Techron. I do the same with my Z06 and expect I will see same result.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 PM
UARPerformance
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
The Buick/GMC dealer in Northeast Dallas (on LBJ Freeway) always tried to get me to do it on my Yukon.

Since i started going to Chevy dealersship they have NEVER tried to get me to do this.

FWIW, my Yukon just turned 91k this week. Last week I had the 100k service done to it. The spark plugs were 'beautiful' for 90k miles. Not one speck of carbon build up or burnt oil. It runs as good today as it did on day one (new). It idles perfectly smooth.

I have ALWAYS used top tier gasoline in my Yukon. Every once in awhile I add Techron. I do the same with my Z06 and expect I will see same result.
Since oil is entering the intake Manifold from PCV system No TOP TIER gas is gonna clean the intake manifold or throttle body. The intake manifold will have oil in it which is entering the combustion chamber under heavy acceleration which is never good on a performance engine. Not sure where a can in the tank is gonna do jack. It has to be done with high pressure entering the throttle body. It is a night and day service . That's where oil catch cans came into play to keep oil out of the combustion chamber. Anyone not doing this on there corvette belong driving camry's instead.

Get notified of new replies

To "Fuel Induction Service"

Quick Reply: [Z06] "Fuel Induction Service"