Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 09 LS7 Valve Spring Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
That sucks! Was hoping the 09 and newer where going to be less prone to failures. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Glad they took care of it so quickly for you.

I am glad to hear your getting a brand new engine asap, best of luck on getting back on the road.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

In the early years of the LS7, valve spring breakage was a lot more frequent of a topic then, than it is now.

It has been dormant for the most part, not much talk about broken valve springs. At that time, some discussions centered around a bad batch of valve springs causing the initial issues in those early cars.

On the forefront now, of course, is the valve guide wear and snapped valve issue.

It is disheartening to see a failed valve spring, in a street driven car with just 6700 miles on it, when we have not heard of one of these in a while.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Alchemist31
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being in Texas, low oil temperature is usually not an issue. I do wait until the temperature is over 130. I friend of mine has a BMW M6 and it has a governor that limits rpms until the oil temperature has reached its setpoint.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Alchemist31
Heel & Toe

I will ask them if they can measure the valve guides and post the results
Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mammoth713
From an engineering perspective, everything should be designed "ideally" with like 2.5x,if not more, reliability no? Seeing how the LS7 is one of GM's flagship engine designs, if not THE flagship, and seeing these failures (regardless if you argue there aren't that many, blah blah blah) in the smaller engine parts that wear, is really disappointing in general. Especially considering the fact these claims have been circling since 2007.. We are now in 2011, entering the 2012 model year. SO WHAT if the LS7 is a high power engine. So is the Saturn V rocket.. But they controlled it and sent men to the moon with it. If you're going to sit on this forum and tell me there isn't a problem here, then you are obviously just blind. With how much R&D GM does, there is no way in hell they didn't know about this. The worst part to me is it's not even narrowed down to one engine component: valves, valve guides, valve springs? Come on.

Seeing threads like this help me, personally, where I am a potential z06 buyer. It seems to me I am going to have far more interest in used z06's that have a factory warranty intact, compared to where I didn't care before.

Glad to hear it seems GM is helping you out immediately!

FWIW.

It is NOT (LS7) the flagship (so to speak)....it 'was' in late 2005, 06, 07 and 2008....but that all changed in 2009 when LS9 arrived....

LS9 IS the king/flagship model for Chevy now. Not intending to down LS7 either....it's what I own.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
That sucks! Was hoping the 09 and newer where going to be less prone to failures. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Glad they took care of it so quickly for you.
Just a reminder folks, we do not assemble the cylinder heads at Wixom!

We receive them put together and pre inspected. They are individually bagged, and we give a visual inspection before assembly.

Bummer to hear of broken valve springs, but not much your builder could do to prevent that. Especially when it happens after miles in service. Glad you are being taken care of.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Alchemist31
I will ask them if they can measure the valve guides and post the results

thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,527 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Being in Texas, low oil temperature is usually not an issue. I do wait until the temperature is over 130. I friend of mine has a BMW M6 and it has a governor that limits rpms until the oil temperature has reached its setpoint.
I had a 2003 M3 and it had the "warmup" variable yellow zone on the tach although it did not prevent using higher revs as a rev limiter would. That said, the BMW protocol would allow readline at a much lower oil temp. than I use myself (look to 160* oil before full throttle or near redline running).

That dicipline came from running a Nascar Ford 9:1 CR 358 CI with a 750 CFM carb, with dyno output of 479 lb-ft of torque and 605HP at 7200 RPM with a torque cam
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Even Comp Cams had a problem with their single bee hive springs breaking a few years ago.

High lift cams put a lot of stress on valve springs, and the LS7 has right at .600 lift.

A valve spring failure is pretty rare and random in the LS7. I know it will be included in the "list" of stock failures, but I'm not worried about it.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Alchemist31
Heel & Toe

I never meant to imply in any way that this was caused by the builder. I had stated that it was a faulty spring so it didn't matter who assemblied the engine. I have great respect for those of you who do. Being a Chemist and very familiar with different types of failure analysis, I know that you can't spot a valve spring that will fail 3 years down the line by a visual inspection. Keep up the good work at Wixom. Hope you built the replacement engine!

Last edited by Alchemist31; 11-08-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see that GM is taking care of you.

Valve springs issues happen with any LSx motor, and any motor in general. Some of the best springs made have had bad batches and break. It's a fact of life when you have a performance car... even in stock form. It's not just the LS7 that has broken springs stock, I've seen just about every LSx do it.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir

Valve springs issues happen with any LSx motor, and any motor in general. Some of the best springs made have had bad batches and break. It's a fact of life when you have a performance car... even in stock form. It's not just the LS7 that has broken springs stock, I've seen just about every LSx do it.
Agree. Sometimes poop happens.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had one of the good aftermarket valve springs break in my 2010 camaro and causing the valve to drop with some more damage!

sory to hear about your issue OP. I am glad GM is taking care of you
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
It is NOT (LS7) the flagship (so to speak)....it 'was' in late 2005, 06, 07 and 2008....but that all changed in 2009 when LS9 arrived....

LS9 IS the king/flagship model for Chevy now. Not intending to down LS7 either....it's what I own.
N/A flagship technically but yes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 679 Likes on 506 Posts

Alchemist31,
I'm glad to hear they took care of you so well (and quickly). Keep us updated. Have a great day!

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

On Thursday, November 3rd, as I was driving my 09 Cybergray Z06 at about 50 mph, the service active handling and service traction control messages started alternating. Since I was less than 1/2 mile from work, I slowed down and continued on. Could hear some clicking noise, which I thought might from the active handling/ traction control units. After I parked, I tried to restart it but only heard the starter turning. Called the local Chevrolet dealer (Champion in Austin) that I use for oil changes and my service advisor, Patrick, told me to have it flatbedded in. He called me when the Z06 arrived and said that there was a major issue with the engine.They needed to take the engine apart to identify the problem. He called me this morning (November 7th) and told me that the engine was apart and that the valve spring on cylinder #1 had broken and caused major issues. There were metal pieces inside the engine. I went over to look at the engine and took several pictures. Later this afternoon, he called me and told me that GM was replacing the engine with a new one and it should arrive later this week. The Z06 had only 6700 miles on it and was never abused or tracked. I must say that I am impressed by the quick resolution of how this was handled. I managed to take several pictures and will try to post them as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35027124@N00/I added link to flickr for some pictures that I took
Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I never meant to imply in any way that this was caused by the builder. I had stated that it was a faulty spring so it didn't matter who assemblied the engine. I have great respect for those of you who do. Being a Chemist and very familiar with different types of failure analysis, I know that you can't spot a valve spring that will fail 3 years down the line by a visual inspection. Keep up the good work at Wixom. Hope you built the replacement engine!
I dont think you came across this way. Just one of those things! I do like you attitude and the fact they fixed it quick! I am sure your good 'tude helped expedite this process!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
LS6-M22
Instructor

Just out of curiosity what is the build date on the car?

Get notified of new replies

To 09 LS7 Valve Spring Failure

Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

10000%
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
prestostark
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... Is there any consensus on which replacement spring might be the best? Rather than wait for a failure, why not preempt with a relatively cheap and easy valve spring replacement? There must be some way to toughen up the LS7. Is anyone making replacement heads with complete bullet-proof valve trains? Dart? Edelbrock? I know the CompCams trunion kit seems like a decent place to start, but that doesn't address springs and guides. Let's figure this one out. Glad GM is stepping up in this case.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Alchemist31
Heel & Toe

Justin,

Thanks. From some stuff that I read on the forum, I was pleasantly surprised on the quick action, both by the dealer and Chevrolet warranty. I will keep everyone abreast to the progress. The engine is to arrive in the next day or two. this is my 3rd Corvette and I will keep on buying them

Quick Reply: [Z06] 09 LS7 Valve Spring Failure