Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Royal Purple Add

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Royal Purple Add

I am very uneasy with the video shown on CF (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/misc...8&prx_t=196299)
This test has little to do with the operation in a modern engine. As our LS engines are very well designed, you will not break the boundary lubrication as the video suggests. Please be aware that what GM recommends is the best for your engine .. an to all aspects meeting their standards none the less.
To bad adds such as this are blocked so comments can't be added to them.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
GoForTheGold
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
I am very uneasy with the video shown on CF (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/misc...8&prx_t=196299)
This test has little to do with the operation in a modern engine. As our LS engines are very well designed, you will not break the boundary lubrication as the video suggests. Please be aware that what GM recommends is the best for your engine .. an to all aspects meeting their standards none the less.
Thanks
Also on this forum at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/misc...4&prx_t=196298
This dumb video makes me to NEVER want to use RP! Never trust a comparison test done by the "winner".

Here is Mobil 1's response. No BS test results, just facts.
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...al_Purple.aspx

Last edited by GoForTheGold; 11-23-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GoForTheGold
Also on this forum at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/misc...4&prx_t=196298
This dumb video makes me to NEVER want to use RP! Never trust a comparison test done by the "winner".

Here is Mobil 1's response. No BS test results, just facts.
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...al_Purple.aspx
I hate to tell you, but referencing a test done on another oil companies site is almost as bad. You need to find independent third party tests to compare.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM
GoForTheGold
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I hate to tell you, but referencing a test done on another oil companies site is almost as bad. You need to find independent third party tests to compare.
I agree .. need 3rd party testing with results. BUT I didn't reference anything regarding testing. All the web site did is state the current situation --- i.e.
"
Question:
How Does Royal Purple Compare to Mobil 1?
How does Royal Purple stack up to Mobil 1? It seems everyone is pushing it.
-- Blaine Page, Riverton, UT

Answer:
Let's put it this way:

Mobil 1 is the World's Leading Synthetic Motor Oil
Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as Chevrolet Cadillac, Corvette, Mercedes AMG, Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren and Porsche.
Mobil has the following approvals for Mobil 1 5W-30, to use just one viscosity grade example:
API SM, SL, ILSAC GF-4, ACEA A1/B1, A5/ B5
GM 6094M, Ford WSS-M2C929-A, Chrysler MS-6395,GM 4718M
Honda HTO-06 (only motor oil to meet these stringent conditions)
More than half of all NASCAR teams use Mobil 1 in their cars
Mobil 1 is available in the US market at retail stores, lube oil centers, car dealers, etc, and
Mobil 1 technology is proven worldwide, in the lab and on the road.
"
Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

5W30 has the lowest amount of antiwear (phosphore and ZDDP) of their entire inventory...Somebody already posted a comparo, and granted, I believe M1 makes good oil, but their 5w30 is just garbage (especially the new mix with the super low anti wear). After reading that and seing the data, I'll be switching to 10W40 high mileage synthetic which contains almost twice the amount of anti wear than the 5W30... Our P car runs M1 0W40 by the way...only GM and American car company use thiner oils (to help gain MPG). I wish I had known that infor 2 years ago I would have switched then...

edit: found it:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

food for thought...check out the racing application oil at the bottom and it's levels of anti wear....interesting isn't it?

Last edited by mirage2991; 11-24-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Conversations not worth starting.

The sad part is that having a discussion about oil is about as useful as having one about politics or religion. All you are going to get is a bunch of different opinions, a lot of people angry and flaming each other and nothing ever really proven in the end. Everyone is convinced they are right and have the 'facts' to back it up.

Almost every oil based thread I have ever seen usually ends up getting locked when they get nasty or personal. So while I can respect your opinion on trying to save everyone from the oil company marketing you don't agree with I would say just use the oil you like and not even bother starting a flame war trying to have a reasonable discourse on the subject.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default For future reference

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005

Royal Purple ADD

Thanks
About add vs ad
Advertisement” is abbreviated “ad,” not “add.”

add Meaning(s)

(n) a condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders
(v) make an addition (to); join or combine or unite with others; increase the quality, quantity, size or scope of
(v) state or say further
(v) bestow a quality on
(v) make an addition by combining numbers
(v) determine the sum of
(v) constitute an addition

ad Meaning(s)

(n) a public promotion of some product or service
(r) in the Christian era; used before dates after the supposed year Christ was born

Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Trapper Sean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaxian
The sad part is that having a discussion about oil is about as useful as having one about politics or religion. All you are going to get is a bunch of different opinions, a lot of people angry and flaming each other and nothing ever really proven in the end. Everyone is convinced they are right and have the 'facts' to back it up.

Almost every oil based thread I have ever seen usually ends up getting locked when they get nasty or personal. So while I can respect your opinion on trying to save everyone from the oil company marketing you don't agree with I would say just use the oil you like and not even bother starting a flame war trying to have a reasonable discourse on the subject.
Partially correct because not all of the objective facts we need for decisions are readily available to us.

But mostly wrong because many objective facts are available to us .... it's just that some of us are not so good at critical thinking and feel more comfortable relying on subjective criteria, what we've always done, etc.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Road to nowhere.

Originally Posted by Berto
Partially correct because not all of the objective facts we need for decisions are readily available to us.

But mostly wrong because many objective facts are available to us .... it's just that some of us are not so good at critical thinking and feel more comfortable relying on subjective criteria, what we've always done, etc.
Sorry, I have read a hundred threads on oil on different motorcycle, boat and automobiles sites over the years and the useful information that can be gleaned from any of them pretty much comes down to believing who you want to.

Everyone has an opinion, tons of facts they post that clearly show they are right....until the next person posts right after them with just as viable and supported facts that show the exact opposite conclusion.

Again, trying to pick an oil by reading message board threads rather than doing your own due diligence and research for your specific situation is for the most part completely pointless. As are threads discussing the topic because of that fact. They are usually just an intro to a flame fest.

(I mean take a look, this thread has like 9 posts and already has a Grammar **** post, the hallmark of a pointless thread)

Get notified of new replies

To Royal Purple Add

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Royal Purple Add