Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Was I wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Default Was I wrong?

Took my 11 yr old for a ride the other day. He's really getting the car bug, so I wanted to show him a little of what a Z can do. Went behind a closed school in an empty parking lot....shut off trac. control and stopped.....Told him to hang on.....Dumped the clutch at about 3500 and proceeded to light the big meats up....several smoky spins later he's freaking out and grinning from ear to ear! We slowly idle out and back home where he's lectured about never trying something like that on a public road, etc. (and don't tell your Mom!) Sorry no vid, but it was fun. Need tires anyway!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Depends on the kind of kid you raised. Some kids can see adults doing adult things and not act on them and some kids feel like trying the same adult things as soon as possible. My parents never had sports cars and never acted stupid even once...**** look at me now. Sooo who knows. At least he had fun!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go read freakonomics makes you wonder about the whole parenting deal. I've seen kids 2 years apart go opposite ways parenting matters but ultimately they will make their own choices later in life.

As far as lighting up the meats Hell remember it forever
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

You did no wrong.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
9sec383
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same scenario but my 11yr old daughter responded with "Now let me try it Dad".....yea I'm screwed...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

This is a tough one....I want my kids (when I finally have one) to be into cars and stuff but OMG if they do half the **** I did on a bike or in a car I would flip my top. I think I will take the stance of "Be a daredevil, but keep it off the streets". I think getting kids into karting is cool. They get their need for speed if they have it and its pretty safe.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 AM
blkscls1z
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No. Now he definitely will be a future gearhead when he grows up!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:00 AM
vbjimbo
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Really doesn't matter if you were right or wrong now as the smell of tire smoke is engrained in him and he won't be able to get it out lol!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm sure more than half of us gearheads are the way we are due to well-deserved exposure to cool cars and possibly a few "exhibitions of speed" when we were kids?

I know my first "cool car" exposure was my parents' '77 Firebird. After that was a '78 Z28. Awhile after that, my Dad built an S10 with a 350. What a rocket! P.O.S. S10 that would pull ~150 MPH NO PROBLEM!!!

..... yup, my driving "habits" are 100% genetics
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I see it like this.... He has experienced the raw power of the Domestic fury of the Z06 Corvette. However when he brags to his buddies they will all have stories more lavish and embelished about their dads 89 honda smoking vettes and burning out at 200mph. Your son will most likely believe these allegations because they are his friends and they dont lie. At this point he will start to veer towards the import side of the car scene. As he starts to show the interest in the import scene as many youngsters do these days. You will disown him like a gay son that you never really wanted. In his rebellion he will slowly turn to his friends doing weak azz burnouts in honda civics and toyota smelicas smoking pot, robbing quicky marts all across the east coast for gas money and drugs. The only bright side to this he may run over one of the cast members from Jersey shore and people will rejoice and have a Merry Christmas. All because you had to go burn up your overly expensive tires cause you wanted a excuse to do so with your son. What is the world coming to? The End

Last edited by Fartpipe; 12-15-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
I see it like this.... He has experienced the raw power of the Domestic fury of the Z06 Corvette. However when he brags to his buddies they will all have stories more lavish and embelished about their dads 89 honda smoking vettes and burning out at 200mph. Your son will most likely believe these allegations because they are his friends and they dont lie. At this point he will start to veer towards the import side of the car scene. As he starts to show the interest in the import scene as many youngsters do these days. You will disown him like a gay son that you never really wanted. In his rebellion he will slowly turn to his friends doing weak azz burnouts in honda civics and toyota smelicas smoking pot, robbing quicky marts all across the east coast for gas money and drugs. The only bright side to this he may run over one of the cast members from Jersey shore and people will rejoice and have a Merry Christmas. All because you had to go burn up your overly expensive tires cause you wanted a excuse to do so with your son. What is the world coming to? The End

Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fartpipe

LMFAO, now that was funny !

Make sure you children have a constructive outlet and the time to do it(just enough time to do it). I wish my parents where more involved in what I did when growing up, it would have made a huge difference. Sports, raceing and the like, they will be fine.

P.S. if you have American muscle in the garage they will stick with it!!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
timber wolf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now sign him up for gokarting so he can learn true vehicle control so that by the time he gets behind the wheel he will be awesome!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I typed out a "spirited" reply to this thread and then deleted it. Sometimes speaking your mind ends up sounding just too unpleasant.

I will say this: When a grown man , a father , behaves like this in the presence of his children he can expect to reap what he sows. That could be tragic in years to come when your kids learn to drive.

"Do as I say not as I do." Have you ever heard that one?

Showing off in an automobile is showing off in an automobile. It should never be done, it is potentially dangerous, it could have gotten you arrested or cited, and it sent a really negative message to your passengers.

Keep in mind, I pulled just about all the punches in settling for this weak reply.....just to keep things civil mind you.

There are a whole lotta things you can do with a car and other things to spend time with your children besides things like this. I'd suggest you grow up.

signed,

an older man
Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

^ SOMEONE SHOULD WASH YOUR KEYBOARD OUT WITH SOAP!!! Potty keyboard!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:42 PM
blkscls1z
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh No! Your kid is going to grow up being addicted to burn outs! Such a bad father.

You should know that Corvettes are only used for car shows and you should be teaching your kid that .

Last edited by blkscls1z; 12-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Was I wrong?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blkscls1z
I got 99 problems, but a GT-R ain't one..
I like this guy!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Mregor
Instructor

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Keep in mind, I pulled just about all the punches in settling for this weak reply.....just to keep things civil mind you.
Lighten up Francis.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I will say this: When a grown man , a father , behaves like this in the presence of his children he can expect to reap what he sows. That could be tragic in years to come when your kids learn to drive.

Showing off in an automobile is showing off in an automobile. It should never be done, it is potentially dangerous, it could have gotten you arrested or cited, and it sent a really negative message to your passengers.

There are a whole lotta things you can do with a car and other things to spend time with your children besides things like this. I'd suggest you grow up.
Of course, "you're right" (we all "know" that) but that's only because the government and Chicken Littles of the world are overly concerned with protecting people from themselves. Rules and laws have gotten so damn strict .......... I'm sure the majority of people these days are way more "lame" than our parents, or our parents' parents were.

The reason we have laws AGAINST this type of behaviour is because the law can only see black or white, no gray. Doing a burn-out in the middle of a crowded parking lot = bad. Doing a burn-out in a deserted parking lot = no risk to anybody (and please don't say "what it" the throttle stuck ), but the law sees no difference between the two scenarios.

See my point?

I highly doubt Ed's kid will be emotionally scarred, and chances are, he'll turn out to be a gearhead REGARDLESS of what Daddy did with him in the car ... just hanging out around like-minded people at car shows, and watching videos on TV, videos on the internet ... he's going to get to know what cars will do, and what people do with cars, and he'll eventually "try it himself". Better off having Dad try to teach him the "safer" way of being stupid, than lighting up the tires in the middle of traffic or a crowded lot.

I'm sure this is an issue that we'll all likely have to "agree to disagree", because I really don't agree with the over-protective, hyper-sensitive, worry-wart mentality of the world these days. LIVE A LITTLE ..... it's good for the soul and you'll live longer .

EDIT: you'd be surprised at the profound and POSITIVE effect of father/son bonding such as this. You may see it as completely and utterly wrong, but if a guy has a good relationship and good communication with his kid, chances are, the kid will respect him and actually "do as Dad says", vs. thinking Dad is a total lame duck who doesn't know what he's talking about, and undeserving of the kid's respect. Probably a higher likelihood of rebelling against a father who always cries "the sky is falling" and never has (or lets a kid have) any "fun" .

Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 12-15-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Was I wrong?