Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Electrical Nightmare's again"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Desert Nomad,
I'll monitor this thread. Let us know what caused this and how everything works out at the dealership.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by Desert Nomad
Well, took the 'Z' out for a drive yesterday. Beautiful day, warm and not much traffic. Was on a rural country road mabey 60-70 miles from home and then it started. First indication was the theft deterent system warning along with ABS service warning. So I stopped, restarted the car and the warning's went away. Not more than a mile down the road all hell broke loose. Just about all warning lights came on as follows:

Fuel went to '0'
Oil pressure '0'
Water temp '0'
door unlock warning
Service engine soon warning
Service fuel system
Red infl rest warning on
Turn signal in-op
ABS warning on
Emergency Brake Light on
Exhaust flaps open(noisy)
Radio in-op
Windows would not open or close
Electical system completely unstable.

I believe the car went into a reduce power mode, but not sure. I babied the car the all the way back home approximatley 60-70 miles praying that it wouldn't shut down entirely. Pulled into the driveway and shut the car off. It was dead as a door nail. I couldn't open the door from inside. Luckily the window was open(wouldn't close anyway) and opened the door from outside. The passenger door wouldn't open at all so the wife the wife had to climb out my side. You should of heard all the whinning and complaining. Anyway. to make a long story shorter, put the "Battery Tender" on for about 5 hours and everything was back to normal. Car started perfectly with no warning lights. Now, this was the same basic problem I had earlier this year but dealer said battery was bad, which they changed along with replacing the fob batts. Did a complete download and update the system. Everything seemed to be 'OK' at that time. Seems to me that the battery is supporting the system and not getting charged enough some how properly although I'm not seeing it on the volt meter in the cluster. I can't remember what it was when all this was going on. I think it was the only instrument that was still working but can't remember the reading as I was concentrating on everything else that was going wrong and trying to get it home. I know the system must have experienced a loss of power or the battery had lost enough voltage to trigger all these warning to come on. The battery was definatley down as it normally wouldn't take that long to charge and top off. I love the car but I'm just so frustrated with these electrical problems. I'm afraid to take the car any distance anymore and the wife has lost all faith in it. Just not a reliable vehicle. Anyway, I'm off to the Chevy dealer in Long Beach first thing in the A.M. as its New's day today. God, I'm glad I got the extended GMPP. This could be a long and expensive repair. Its an '08' with 17K. No mod's, all stock except for a skip shift. I'll keep ya all posted on the out come. "Happy New Year".

Desert Nomad,
Torrance Ca.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I would discount the battery as the problem for now. Too many people jump on the battery when these types of things happen. Check all of the connections to the battery at the battery and at the other end. Frame ground and where the hot lead connects to the starter and alternator. Also check what kind of voltage you get in the +12V (B Plus) locations in the underhood electrical center with the car running and not running.

The problems you had are usually connection related and although cars with modern electronics act up when the voltage gets low cars of the time period before electronics would just die all of a sudden with no warning other than the radio quit just before the engine died.

Bill
Bill I agree with you, I think a bad connection somewhere in the 'Z's' electrical jungle is a real possibility, although a BCM as pointed out by 07Z06FAN above is viable suspect also. I think a load test of some kind would eliminate the battery as being the main culprit, especially when this is the second battery that exhibited the same problems. I'm leaving in a couple of minutes to take the car down to the dealer. I'll keep you all posted on the results. Thanks again for you input.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Desert Nomad,
I'll monitor this thread. Let us know what caused this and how everything works out at the dealership.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Thanks Justin, I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The battery is a new AC Delco, 8 months old. Chevy dealer installed earlier this year when I had the same basic problem. I wish it was just a battery, but got a feeling its something beyond that.
Sounds like the reset button got stuck for the DIC. I had It happen once and nothing would work and all the warning light were lit up.It also said E-Prom reseting.Tapped the button and all was good.

Last edited by Luweegy; 01-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Sounds like the problem I had. It was diagnosed as a bad battery. The car went into reduced power and everything you described. While getting the .battery they also did a download that reduces the drain aon the battery while the car is at rest. Ive been putting a tender on it when the the car sits for awhile and Ive been trouble free for 4 years now.

Clif
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

"Electrical Nightmare Update"

Checked with the dealer this morning. Initial finding for the electrical fault I had was a bad connector at the BCM. Seems that one of the male pins did not fit snuggly into the female receptacle on the BCM although the plug is fully seated. I was told that GM has a Service Bulletin out pertaining to this particular plug. The ECM had set no codes. But if I understand Tech correctly, the BCM had set about 50 codes. They drove the car about 15 miles with no codes popping up. I'm going back tommorow to hopefully pick the car up. I'm keeping my finger crossed that this was the "Gremlin" in the system. I'll give a final update once I have the car back and road tested.
Thanks again for all the input.
Desert Nomad,
Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

"Electrical Nightmare Update"

Checked with the dealer this morning. Initial finding for the electrical fault I had was a bad connector at the BCM. Seems that one of the male pins did not fit snuggly into the female receptacle on the BCM although the plug is fully seated. I was told that GM has a Service Bulletin out pertaining to this particular plug. The ECM had set no codes. But if I understand Tech correctly, the BCM had set about 50 codes. They drove the car about 15 miles with no codes popping up. I'm going back tommorow to hopefully pick the car up. I'm keeping my finger crossed that this was the "Gremlin" in the system. I'll give a final update once I have the car back and road tested.
Thanks again for all the input.
Desert Nomad,
Old 01-05-2012, 06:36 PM
southfloridavette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, took the 'Z' out for a drive yesterday. Beautiful day, warm and not much traffic. Was on a rural country road mabey 60-70 miles from home and then it started. First indication was the theft deterent system warning along with ABS service warning. So I stopped, restarted the car and the warning's went away. Not more than a mile down the road all hell broke loose. Just about all warning lights came on as follows:

Fuel went to '0'
Oil pressure '0'
Water temp '0'
door unlock warning
Service engine soon warning
Service fuel system
Red infl rest warning on
Turn signal in-op
ABS warning on
Emergency Brake Light on
Exhaust flaps open(noisy)
Radio in-op
Windows would not open or close
Electical system completely unstable.

I believe the car went into a reduce power mode, but not sure. I babied the car the all the way back home approximatley 60-70 miles praying that it wouldn't shut down entirely. Pulled into the driveway and shut the car off. It was dead as a door nail. I couldn't open the door from inside. Luckily the window was open(wouldn't close anyway) and opened the door from outside. The passenger door wouldn't open at all so the wife the wife had to climb out my side. You should of heard all the whinning and complaining. Anyway. to make a long story shorter, put the "Battery Tender" on for about 5 hours and everything was back to normal. Car started perfectly with no warning lights. Now, this was the same basic problem I had earlier this year but dealer said battery was bad, which they changed along with replacing the fob batts. Did a complete download and update the system. Everything seemed to be 'OK' at that time. Seems to me that the battery is supporting the system and not getting charged enough some how properly although I'm not seeing it on the volt meter in the cluster. I can't remember what it was when all this was going on. I think it was the only instrument that was still working but can't remember the reading as I was concentrating on everything else that was going wrong and trying to get it home. I know the system must have experienced a loss of power or the battery had lost enough voltage to trigger all these warning to come on. The battery was definatley down as it normally wouldn't take that long to charge and top off. I love the car but I'm just so frustrated with these electrical problems. I'm afraid to take the car any distance anymore and the wife has lost all faith in it. Just not a reliable vehicle. Anyway, I'm off to the Chevy dealer in Long Beach first thing in the A.M. as its New's day today. God, I'm glad I got the extended GMPP. This could be a long and expensive repair. Its an '08' with 17K. No mod's, all stock except for a skip shift. I'll keep ya all posted on the out come. "Happy New Year".

Desert Nomad,
Torrance Ca.

Take a look at the video posted as it may look familiar. To make a long story short (GM and the dealership I worked with throughout the entire situation were great), a 2009 Z06 that I purchased brand new had these problems starting at approximately 7400 miles. The problem was generally triggered when going over small bumps such as lane reflectors or uneven roads. It took several months and about 4000 miles to find the problem. This was trial and error. Most of the time, it took a couple of hundred miles for the problem to resurface. The last visit, the car was in the shop for about 2 and a half months at which point GM bought back the Z06 and put me into a car of my choice. By this time, I believe the problem had been fixed and traced back to a pin connector in the BCM. So you may be in luck. If your problem has not been resolved, let me know to see if I can be of help. That bulletin may have been my car.

In the video at around 9:50, I run over some lane reflectors and the faulty connection seemed to reconnect. And just like yours, most of the BCM codes were triggered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOdJN...afAUAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited by southfloridavette; 01-05-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
vibr8r
1st Gear

I had this problem on mine.. driving down the road all gauges went dead car still drove took it to my shop and it was a bad ground.. dealer told me it was a known problem...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

"ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE RESOLVED"
Bad connector pins at the BCM. This is what it was. Hats off to the folks at "Harbor Chevrolet" in Long Beach, specifically Jeff the Tech that found it. They did a great job. As stated above, there was a Service Bulletin on this specific connector and its associated wiring. The incident pointed out by "Southfloridavette" above may have been possibly why this SB was issued. His symptons were exactly the same as mine. Anyway, left the dealership and took the "Z" on a 120 mile road test today down to Camp Pendelton and back. Ran like a top. I feel this was the problem and I'm just glad its fixed, but since this is the second time its happened in a year I think I'll do some more long distance trips before I feel good about it. Thanks again to all the "Forum members for all your input and support.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by southfloridavette
Take a look at the video posted as it may look familiar. To make a long story short (GM and the dealership I worked with throughout the entire situation were great), a 2009 Z06 that I purchased brand new had these problems starting at approximately 7400 miles. The problem was generally triggered when going over small bumps such as lane reflectors or uneven roads. It took several months and about 4000 miles to find the problem. This was trial and error. Most of the time, it took a couple of hundred miles for the problem to resurface. The last visit, the car was in the shop for about 2 and a half months at which point GM bought back the Z06 and put me into a car of my choice. By this time, I believe the problem had been fixed and traced back to a pin connector in the BCM. So you may be in luck. If your problem has not been resolved, let me know to see if I can be of help. That bulletin may have been my car.

In the video at around 9:50, I run over some lane reflectors and the faulty connection seemed to reconnect. And just like yours, most of the BCM codes were triggered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOdJN...afAUAAAAAAAAAA
Hey "Southfloridavette", great video and that's exactly what I had. Hopefully all the headaces that you suffered resulted in the fix that was done on my car. Thanks again for the information.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Bwilliams58
4th Gear

Default Engine quits

For the last couple of months and a total of maybe 10 times.....I have been heading down he road and the next thing I know the engine has shut down. The first time I coasted to side of the road and restarted...now I just shift to neutral and restart. I have a 2005 coupe! It has also lately indicated hot nine and shuts the air cond off. My local mechanic says he thinks the cluster is bad. Anybody eerience this and comments on the cluster opinion? Car runs great otherwise but the shutting down with no warning can be a safety concern! Any feedback is appreciated!!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwilliams58
For the last couple of months and a total of maybe 10 times.....I have been heading down he road and the next thing I know the engine has shut down. The first time I coasted to side of the road and restarted...now I just shift to neutral and restart. I have a 2005 coupe! It has also lately indicated hot nine and shuts the air cond off. My local mechanic says he thinks the cluster is bad. Anybody eerience this and comments on the cluster opinion? Car runs great otherwise but the shutting down with no warning can be a safety concern! Any feedback is appreciated!!
You might have better response if you post in the correct forum as this is the Z06 forum (C6 - General Discussion).
Old 05-07-2012, 04:00 PM
GeorgeSSS
Racer

Your car will never run again. Give it to me and let me drive it for a couple of years. I'll let you know if it happens again.

Couldn't resist. It's a great car and little things can cause noisy kaputs sometimes. Your's doesn't sound too expensive.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am having similar issues, what has proven to be the fix?

Thanks

Tony

Quick Reply: [Z06] "Electrical Nightmare's again"