Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] c6 z06 need info or opinon on oil canister losing oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 AM
catchmes2000
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 z06 need info or opinon on oil canister losing oil

Hi Guy's,

Well i had my car now since 2008, i do my oil change since i had the car... Now i know by experience wen you check the oil on dip stick there is 3 mark's or should i say 3 hole's bottom middle and top, now i know for a fack that this car you have to start it and let run to running tempurature then wait 5 min then check oil level because it is a dry sump and has to pressurise the system... but i know for a fack wen car is warm and wait 5 min level should be at top hole or top mark... wen cold the oil should be between the lower mark and middle mark...

NOW my question i did a cam swap last week did everything by spec's i had to lower oil pan for oil pump instalation also i change the 2 seal's on the 2 hose coming from the oil sump canister that go's to the oil pan...

Now i have a problem i start my engine oil pressure is perfect and i shut car off wait 5 min and check oil and everything is were it should be at top hole on dip stick... the nex day check oil level and the oil is at the middle hole on dip stik... did not start the car that day... i waited a extra day check oil again and NO MORE OIL ON STICK... It never did that before...

Were is the oil going back to the oil pan... not a good sign i dont want to start it dry i have no leek's and the other thing was wondering if there is some kind of check valve that would stop the oil from going back to the pan... now probably if i started the car everything would pressurise back up and the oil level would be good.... but my question is y do's it started doing this since i install my cam... there is nothing i did to prevent this and just dont like what i am seing...

If anybody can help me i would appreciated.

Thanks Jeff
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

You are only capable of checking the oil properly for about 20 mins after running the car up to temp. It's normal for it to drain out of the dry sump. That's why there are 2 drain plugs.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
You are only capable of checking the oil properly for about 20 mins after running the car up to temp. It's normal for it to drain out of the dry sump. That's why there are 2 drain plugs.
I agree. Also I have found that if you check the oil 5 minutes after shutdown when the oil is 175* and it reads at the middle hole, if you do it again the same way later that day and the oil is at 240*+ it will be at the top hole. So temperature and expansion are significant factors on where the dipstick level reads.

Doing a cold reading does not give a valid reading.

OP, check it again after you get the oil up to 175*, 5 min. after shutdown.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM
catchmes2000
Racer

yess i agree that that is the best way of checking it to have accurate reading but my question is do's anybody ever check there oil cold and do's it read anything on dip stick or nothing....

Thanks Jeff
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by catchmes2000
yess i agree that that is the best way of checking it to have accurate reading but my question is do's anybody ever check there oil cold and do's it read anything on dip stick or nothing....

Thanks Jeff
Mine hasn't been driven since Tuesday. I just checked the dipstick and cold, the level is below the lowest (3rd) hole by about the same spacing as the holes, so yes it has drained down well below "normal".

I am confident that a 175* reading would be at the middle hole, which is where I run it so as not to be over the top on track days with 250* oil. (my 09Z holds 10 1/2 Quarts, earlier models were 8 to 8 1/2 quarts and they probably want to run full on the track.)
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine works the same way. After a couple days sitting it doesn't touch the stick
Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by catchmes2000

Thanks Jeff
My 07 would drain completely.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I never check mine cold as it is a waste of time. And I always check it at the same temp 180-190* and always 5 minutes exactly after shut down.

And (not picking on you )

There = Their
Fack = Fact
Do's = Does

Please don't look for mistakes in my posts. You won't find any *** I am perfect

DH
Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 AM
catchmes2000
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I never check mine cold as it is a waste of time. And I always check it at the same temp 180-190* and always 5 minutes exactly after shut down.

And (not picking on you )

There = Their
Fack = Fact
Do's = Does

Please don't look for mistakes in my posts. You won't find any *** I am perfect

DH
Hahaha What can i say my dad is English and Mom is French ...
Old 02-10-2012, 07:15 AM
catchmes2000
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Mine hasn't been driven since Tuesday. I just checked the dipstick and cold, the level is below the lowest (3rd) hole by about the same spacing as the holes, so yes it has drained down well below "normal".

I am confident that a 175* reading would be at the middle hole, which is where I run it so as not to be over the top on track days with 250* oil. (my 09Z holds 10 1/2 Quarts, earlier models were 8 to 8 1/2 quarts and they probably want to run full on the track.)
Ok Thanks for checking for me i realy appreciated!!! This will take a edge of my shoulder's since i taught because of cam swap something was left behind...

Get notified of new replies

To c6 z06 need info or opinon on oil canister losing oil

Quick Reply: [Z06] c6 z06 need info or opinon on oil canister losing oil