Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Installing the Halltech mf103 superbee

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
I would have thought that for $500 this thing would have come with instructions, but I did not get any.
Are there supposed to be air holes cut out in the front of the filter area?
Where all does the gasket pieces go?
We send video instructions to all of our customers; If you purchase from our dealers, they are supposed to send you the links:

You can email me personally 24/7/365 or call during business hours:

jim@halltechsystems.com

262-965-4300

Thanks,

Jim

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That's what I'm talkin bout. After this cai I'm not sure my car even needs a cam. Any cam.

I remember a saying once, and not sure quite what it means, but it was something like...
Everybody likes a little ***, but no one likes a smart ***.

I could be in this group as well as a few who have posted on this thread. I apoligize if that's the case...kinda.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Hmmmm, well let's see here. Fifty-fiftyteen. Sounds very similar to me (kidding of course) but I have seen where they have been touted as gaining 37hp.

As far as mechanically inclined...well I am not a rocket scientist, but since this isn't rocket science and having done 5-6 cai before...but I have to again point out-in none of the previous cai I have done was there not accompanying instructions. I don't even recall seeing mention on this site or anywhere else that the product would not come with any and you'd need to see a video. It is somewhat of a no-brainer until you get to the shroud that on my car was just NOT going to drop in there, angled or not without removing the bolts that let the existing plastic shroud on top of the radiator move back and even then the front of the beehive shroud was rubbing paint off to drop down in there, as well as pulling the filter and tube out. Good thing the video points out on the passenger side the need to get the shroud behind the a/c line. That was a tight mama also.

In no way am I saying the product does not work or perform as advertised. I am saying, even a note in the box concerning some of this, or where to go look at a video install would save a guy some time, and for $500 should be included. At 10pm it was good to have some helpful responses. Some of the others...not so much. And maybe my car has something wierd, but the shroud was NOT going to just drop in there without some persuasion, nor (IMO) with the filter and tube in place.

But at least I am going to see a 100hp gain, so it will all be worth it.

As a side note: My G spot meter showed a crappy 12.3 for a 1/4 mile and afterwards showed an 11.8. Wow. Now that is some HP!!!
The 33 to 37 HP was with Power Tuning, which is not necessary for the 15 HP that comes in the box.

Power tuning is completely optional. You will not get codes, which is the primary reason some intakes require tuning. Closed loop MAF read issues create problems with some intakes, not at all with ours. Open loop power tuning is just another step in the search to unleash what GM has hidden away in open loop by keeping air fuel ratios way too rich for a naturally aspirated motor. Be aware though, that tuning can void your warranty if the dealer feels that it has led to a problem with any driveline component.

Jim Hall
Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Prime Target
50 HP from an intake and filter??? I've got a bridge for sale i think you'd be interested in...
Maybe with our Super Bee MF103/Williams Performance 102 TB/FAST LSXR intake manifold, and super tuning. You can get close to those numbers, but it takes more than just our intake since the point of induction restriction becomes the 90mm TB after our intake and then the FAST 98.7mm 102 intake.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 02-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HoustonSVT
I can relate to the shourd giving some problems going in, just have to keep fooling with it though. Glad you got it all worked out. Are you saying after the install you went from 12.3 to 11.8? If so that is a huge improvement good job.
Gary Hillen went from the low tens to the high 9s!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Jim,

Thanks for all the info. It sounds as if I should have directed some of my ire towards the supplier, southern car parts. I did not know if they just had you guys drop ship it or what.

On the other hand...some of these guys are making more of this (and my tongue in cheek humor) then I expected. Once I looked at pics here most of it was self explanatory. Up until the shroud install I had 10 minutes into the removal of the stock pieces and installing your product in it's place. For whatever reason the shroud was very uncooperative, so I just did what needed doing to get it in there. It really was no big deal and once I removed the new tube and filter and worked the shroud in I buttoned it up shortly.

I was having a little fun with some of the guys that seem to take it a little too seriously. No big deal on my end. Now about that 50hp...and that cool little superbee decal to put on the shroud. Can I get that right from you?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Jim,

Thanks for all the info. It sounds as if I should have directed some of my ire towards the supplier, southern car parts. I did not know if they just had you guys drop ship it or what.

On the other hand...some of these guys are making more of this (and my tongue in cheek humor) then I expected. Once I looked at pics here most of it was self explanatory. Up until the shroud install I had 10 minutes into the removal of the stock pieces and installing your product in it's place. For whatever reason the shroud was very uncooperative, so I just did what needed doing to get it in there. It really was no big deal and once I removed the new tube and filter and worked the shroud in I buttoned it up shortly.

I was having a little fun with some of the guys that seem to take it a little too seriously. No big deal on my end. Now about that 50hp...and that cool little superbee decal to put on the shroud. Can I get that right from you?
I wish we had them. The Yellow Super Bee is a photoshop pic only. We can't get anything to stick to polyethylene.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

The only way I will be completely satisfied is a sticker that nets me 150hp. (I'm guessing it would have a ZR1moniker on it)

Well the sticker was the whole reason I bought it. Damn.

Plans are to go void the warranty with a dyno tune later this week. Thx!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I meant to check back on this thread sooner. Looks like you got it installed.

I gained 38 HP and 26 TQ with my Halltech and a tune.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

The Halltech CAI systems are the best money can buy PERIOD. And as far as the install, its pretty much like tying your shoes...its that easy! if you can remove the original one, then you def. can install Halltech system. The HP gains are accurate about 15hp as is and as much as 35 or so with a tune...done. do a search and see......... for a great product!! Thanks JIM!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

One more thing to remember If the Beehive were trimmed more to fit a lot easier, it wouldn't block off as much hot air. That would negate some of the benefits. And yes, mine took a little persuading also.
Gary
Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Initially I considered trimming the corners that were hanging up and then realized that very thing, so got out the dish soap and sledge hammer.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Initially I considered trimming the corners that were hanging up and then realized that very thing, so got out the dish soap and sledge hammer.
Go to 6 minutes into the video and you can see expert installation of the Beehive

Unedited as you might be able to tell

Halltech and Katech now have carbon fiber parts that reduce the Z06 by 61lbs:

Last edited by Halltech; 02-22-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Even then it went easier then mine. But the plus side is...it should seal it all off and create that 75hp gain that everyone is talking about. I feel like now I need wheelie bars. Man do these gy run flats really hook.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thinking about upgrading from my Killer Bee I to one of the new ones which should I buy the MF103 or MF107R? I have a tune already will it require a good bit of changes to my current tune like require me to redyno for AFR corrections?

Sorry I know its off topic lol
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

I would hold out for the "Super Killer Bee". I have heard rumors that it has a scooped ram air setup and best of all...that snazzy Georgia tech wannabees decal emblazoned on it. Now we be talkin!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

I don't want anything like the Vette Air scoop so I'll pass lol. Too many issues from what I hear when tuning for them/actually driving with them and the Vararam

Get notified of new replies

To Installing the Halltech mf103 superbee

Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Really??? I thought it saw gains of another 15hp at speeds over 75mph? What's the downside? (I'd buy it just to get the cool looking bee thing on it)
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Seen another guy on LS1tech mention on his car ran like crap after he put on a VetteAir and he was tuned by a very good local tuner from him thats pretty well known. Plus my actual tuner is not a fan of either one so I'll stick to Halltech for my Intakes with no air scoop. Among other things I've read but thats just my opinion
Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Okay. Good to know there are some trade offs.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Installing the Halltech mf103 superbee