Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thinking about making the switch... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM
CorvetteGuy86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about making the switch... thoughts?

Home from work with the flu was been doing some research. Basically, grew up with LT1 and LS1 camaros. Finally got done with college, got a job, and while I was still single, got a Vette. First one ever! Car is an 2008 AO M6 targa Z51. Picked it up with 4k miles. Absolutely love it...

but....

I never thought I would say this, but I just need more performance. Been browsing the Z06's today, so decided to grab a VIN and call GEICO. Only $9.70 more per month to put me in a Z. Gotta be the most amazing insurance company ever, I was expecting a ton more!

So yeah, I'm thinking about making the switch. I have never been in a Z, so my question is how big of a performance (acceleration and just raw power) difference is it from mine? I know the specs and all, but not something I have felt yet.

This is going to sound lame, but the only thing holding me back is how much I love love love the targa top. What you guys think? Should I make the switch?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy86
I have never been in a Z, so my question is how big of a performance (acceleration and just raw power) difference is it from mine? I know the specs and all, but not something I have felt yet.
It's big, don't trust me/us though.
IF you've not yet driven a Z06, now's the time.
One drive & you'll be telling us all about it.

This is going to sound lame, but the only thing holding me back is how much I love love love the targa top. What you guys think? Should I make the switch?
Not lame, many prospective Z06 buyers who own or owned targa topped C6s ask the same thing often. Legit question, IMO.

Using myself as an example? Came from a '03 AE C5 and '06 C6 Z51 car. Both had removable tops as did two Camaros before the Corvettes. I loved the open air shtick as much as anyone.

Then, came my Z06.
The power, torque, increadible drivability quickly made me gladly forget all about open air riding. For real. Any gearhead has to experience a Z06 once before they cack.

OTOH if money isn't an issue? New 2013 special edition offers a LS-7 in a ragtop. For open air lovers, best of ALL worlds; although, not an inexpensive proposition as these cars will undoubtably carry a hefty premium.

You've got some deciding to do, my friend.
However one drive in a Z06 & all your questions will be more than answered. Just try one.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

I will tell you one thing, please do not go down to the dealer and test drive a Z unless you're 100% ready to buy. There wont be going back and you wont like your current c6 after the test drive.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 99 Coupe to my Z....... You wont miss the removable top at all. The power will consume you to the bone, the Z51 will seem slow and almost boring.

Enjoy the Z ! (you know you're gonna get one)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here, let me start your next thread for you......

TARGA SCHMARGA, I made the Switch!!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Home from work with the flu was been doing some research. Basically, grew up with LT1 and LS1 camaros. Finally got done with college, got a job, and while I was still single, got a Vette. First one ever! Car is an 2008 AO M6 targa Z51. Picked it up with 4k miles. Absolutely love it...

but....

I never thought I would say this, but I just need more performance. Been browsing the Z06's today, so decided to grab a VIN and call GEICO. Only $9.70 more per month to put me in a Z. Gotta be the most amazing insurance company ever, I was expecting a ton more!

So yeah, I'm thinking about making the switch. I have never been in a Z, so my question is how big of a performance (acceleration and just raw power) difference is it from mine? I know the specs and all, but not something I have felt yet.

I've never owned a removable roof Corvette. My Grand National has T-tops that I haven't removed since the '90's. Unless you're a dyed in the wool sun on your face kind of guy, you won't miss the targa top and will love the extra rigidity of the fixed roof. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the engine and handling are nice, too.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah they are amazing until they drop your z06 after 6 months. And then expect you to keep you truck insured with them still. Lol... Only because my car came with a harness bar. IMO unless you are on the track or just have tons of money the jump isn't worth the extra cost of maintenance and tires and brake pads and worrying about a $14000 motor blowing (I couldn't afford one under warrenty)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by erichg1000
Yeah they are amazing until they drop your z06 after 6 months. And then expect you to keep you truck insured with them still. Lol... Only because my car came with a harness bar. IMO unless you are on the track or just have tons of money the jump isn't worth the extra cost of maintenance and tires and brake pads and worrying about a $14000 motor blowing (I couldn't afford one under warrenty)
Oh brother....here we go again.
If you can't afford the brake pads, get a Smart car. The tires are the same as the GS and if you can't afford those, again, get a Smart car. The motor will blow if you mod it, drag race it and are not careful as with any car. Geico hasn't dropped me yet after 18 months and yes it was only about 100.00 more per year.
I came from a Z51 equipped vert w/6spd manual. I knew when I ordered that car that I really wanted the Z06. I should have done just that. I don't miss dropping the top either. The Z is incredible. Solid and rides on rails, fast as heck. I had a C5 coupe and rarely took the top off on it. Try to drive one so you make make the call for yourself.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
CorvetteGuy86
Instructor

Guess you guys pretty much answered this for me. Money is not a big issue, but Ive only been in the working world 7 months... so I need to keep it reasonable.

Would love a new C7, but probably dont need to spend it. So, I'll start browsing the C6 world.

To you gurus... anything to look out for on the Z06? From what I can tell, there has been no performance changes throughout the C6 years with the Z06s? I do believe I'm going to avoid the 07s, after reading the sticky with the rocker issues at times. Any just useful info would be good. Guess I need to drive one
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the things to look for is if the car has been modded/tuned. If so, you can bet that it's been driven pretty hard. Quite often, the mods have been removed prior to it going up for sale so just be vigilant when looking. I've always been kind of a "factory stock" kinda guy as that is some assurance that things haven't been brought to their limit, although not guaranteed. The '06 through current are pretty much the same car, save for interior upgrades, exterior options, new trans part number for '08 and later, stronger axles and things like that. Same engine all the way through.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
palindrome1H
Racer

While on paper it only looks like 75 extra HP or so, it feels like 200. It feels like taking your 08 and putting 12 lbs of boost through it. Its a whole new beast. The torque is tremendous. Pull the trigger. You will NOT be disappointed!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Let me put it this way. My 2012 GS was just 2 months old and great. Then I drove a Centennial Z06. And drove it home. Yeah, one drive and you're going to get it.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Guess you guys pretty much answered this for me. Money is not a big issue, but Ive only been in the working world 7 months... so I need to keep it reasonable.

Would love a new C7, but probably dont need to spend it. So, I'll start browsing the C6 world.

To you gurus... anything to look out for on the Z06? From what I can tell, there has been no performance changes throughout the C6 years with the Z06s? I do believe I'm going to avoid the 07s, after reading the sticky with the rocker issues at times. Any just useful info would be good. Guess I need to drive one
No need to avoid the 07's. 32K miles and going strong. The motor runs strong and silent. No need to pass up a mint one.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 PM
HighPro
Racer

I bought an 09 and love the BlueTooth. I think 09 was the first year for it. As for the power, I had an 05 base coupe with a CAM that was making about 435 HP and I thought it was really fast. The Z is a monster. Take it easy with it until you get used to the torque.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
SVTLOL
Racer

Z06 - When you want to go fast.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Larry Gonzalez
Racer

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
No need to avoid the 07's. 32K miles and going strong. The motor runs strong and silent. No need to pass up a mint one.

40K on my 07Z runs like an rocket, came from a 2003 Z06 with a pro-charger and no regrets at all, its a torque monster...
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
SRVfan09
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

One member on here but it well when he said:

C6 Z51 = Scalded Ape
C6 Z06 = Scalded Ape shot out of a cannon

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about making the switch... thoughts?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Landru
It's big, don't trust me/us though.
IF you've not yet driven a Z06, now's the time.
One drive & you'll be telling us all about it.

Not lame, many prospective Z06 buyers who own or owned targa topped C6s ask the same thing often. Legit question, IMO.

Using myself as an example? Came from a '03 AE C5 and '06 C6 Z51 car. Both had removable tops as did two Camaros before the Corvettes. I loved the open air shtick as much as anyone.

Then, came my Z06.
The power, torque, increadible drivability quickly made me gladly forget all about open air riding. For real. Any gearhead has to experience a Z06 once before they cack.

OTOH if money isn't an issue? New 2013 special edition offers a LS-7 in a ragtop. For open air lovers, best of ALL worlds; although, not an inexpensive proposition as these cars will undoubtably carry a hefty premium.

You've got some deciding to do, my friend.
However one drive in a Z06 & all your questions will be more than answered. Just try one.

I came from a C6 convertible with MN6/Z51 pkg ('09).

The Z06, you realllllly need to drive one. Your questions WILL be answered.

I NEVER rode in/drove one (Z) before I bought mine (bought new sight unseen over the phone). I just knew I wanted a 427 Vette. period. I was NOT disappointed.

I'm holding on to this one. I will pick up a C6ZR1 OR a C7 (if I realllly like them) in another 18 months when C7 arrives.

But realizing everyone else is not a 427 freak like me, you really need to go drive one. Something tells me you WILL be sold when you do.
Good luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM
07Z06FAN
Advanced

Had an 02 Trans Am with T-Tops. Rode with them out the first couple of years, but the last several I rarely took them out. You won't miss them as much as you think. My insurance with Alfa went up 11.00 a month from the TA to the Z06. That is 11.00 well spent. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Make the jump. I too have Geico and my insurance on my 08 Z is cheaper than my 03 cobra was. Maintenance will only increase if you abuse or mod the car. Bridgestones came on mine and they're known to have pretty good tread life and still will outperform the stock tires. I did what you're thinking and avoided the 07 cars. Sure most of them are ok but why chance it when have a choice, then end up with one of the bad ones? Start your search at 08 and go from there. I smoked a few base C6's in my modified Cobra but this car is an absolute beast in stock form. Bought mine sight unseen too from 800 miles away. Had driven one.

Last edited by Mdm23; 02-28-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thinking about making the switch... thoughts?