Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 2011 ZR1 weigh in completed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 2011 ZR1 weigh in completed!

Peter (whatcop?) came over this morning in his 2011 ZR1 for a weigh in. We used a set of very accurate and calibrated corner scales to answer the question; how much does a ZR1 really weigh?

Well his weighed in at 3324lbs.

As you can see it's very nose heavy as anyone would assume.

Some more details about the car itself.
  • Has an aftermarket exhaust from the cats back. This system uses only ONE muffler vs the stock twin mufflers at the rear of the car. We are unsure of its exact weight but the stock x-pipe and rear mufflers weigh in @75lbs. We assume the aftermarket system is about 20-25lbs lighter than factory.
  • Car is a 3ZR trim package (Nav, fully adj drive/pass seats, leather dash, etc)
  • Car had right about a half tank of fuel at the time
  • Picture posted above represents a few personal bags and items in the car. Once we removed these things it dropped 20lbs so we are "leaving" that 20lbs as part of the equation to offest (add) the 20-25lbs the aftermarket exhaust saved to show a "stock" weight.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 02-29-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting
Thx for posting
Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Fizzex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weight of a ZR1 is already known. The weight GM gives is the shipping weight. That is, the weight with all necessary fluids and a measured amount of fuel put in the tank as they come off the assembly line at Bowling Green. I believe it's 6 gallons. Every ZR1 with the same option package weighs the same amount. And John Doe forum poster doesn't get some special version that somehow weighs a hundred pounds less (or more) than an identically optioned car.

And in this case the car has been modfied with an aftermarket exhaust, the exact weight of which you stated you don't know and are merely assuming. In other words, you didn't weigh the same car GM built.

You can take 100 identically optioned cars, all with the same measured amount of fuel in them, and they will all weigh exactly the same within a few grams of one another. Yet, people continually post that their car is 112 lbs lighter or 80 lbs lighter or some other arbitrary weight given how much fuel they believe is in it, give or take. For example, I've seen people claim their Z06 was 2984 lbs and was, and I quote, "bone stock". AMAZING!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fizzex
I believe it's 6 gallons.
Looks like you're making your own assumptions as well.

The "true" fuel level shipped from the factory has ALWAYS been in question and assumed. There have been numerous post with "published" ZR1 weights. So now we have one, although different exhaust, to get a more official weight and you knock on it.

And in this case the car has been modfied with an aftermarket exhaust, the exact weight of which you stated you don't know and are merely assuming. In other words, you didn't weigh the same car GM built.
To that point, I could have very easily left that piece of information OUT of the post but I didn't. I see honesty and full disclosure, which is not normally found on forums, is still not good enough for you.

How about you bring your stock ZR1 over here and I'll weigh it?

Last edited by LEAVINU; 02-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks LEAVIN thats great info!!!

For comparison my 2009 ZR1 with the ccw rear drag radials everything else in the car, owners manual, floor mats etc etc etc. Empty on gas I mean on the RED! on MIR's scale came in at 3270lbs. Take away about 35-40lbs for wheel/tire weight savings, the fuel I'd say we are right in the ball park. Good stuff GOOD STUFF!
My 2008 2LZ C6Z06 weighed in at 3160lbs w/o me bone stock on a non certified scale with I think it was a 1/4tank of gas. Makes the 2009 3ZR ZR1 vs. my 2008 C6Z06 about 165lbs lighter give or take a few lbs. I think they quote 180lbs difference right?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The weight of a ZR1 is already known. The weight GM gives is the shipping weight. That is, the weight with all necessary fluids and a measured amount of fuel put in the tank as they come off the assembly line at Bowling Green. I believe it's 6 gallons. Every ZR1 with the same option package weighs the same amount. And John Doe forum poster doesn't get some special version that somehow weighs a hundred pounds less (or more) than an identically optioned car.

You can take 100 identically optioned cars, all with the same measured amount of fuel in them, and they will all weigh exactly the same within a few grams of one another. Yet, people continually post that their car is 112 lbs lighter or 80 lbs lighter or some other arbitrary weight given how much fuel they believe is in it, give or take. For example, I've seen people claim their Z06 was 2984 lbs and was, and I quote, "bone stock". AMAZING!

Actually the reported weights were unknown to if they were 1ZR or 3ZR. Also it was interesting to see how the weight is distributed. The car is extremely unbalanced and you can feel it between hard shifts. It will be interesting to see how it behaves in the road course setting.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for the post !!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Empty on gas I mean on the RED!
Braver man than me. Once the DIC reads 40-50 miles till empty I avoid beating on it.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 02-29-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Fizzex;1580147893]The weight of a ZR1 is already known. The weight GM gives is the shipping weight.........QUOTE]

Our 2010 3ZR MSO Shipping Wgt showed 3278 LB ... hasn't been on a scales
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU

weighed in at 3324lbs.

As you can see it's very nose heavy as anyone would assume.

Thanks for posting the weight.

After trying to figure out WTF is up with the out of balance corner weights I have only been able to come up with a couple comments relating to what seems significantly out of whack...

1. I have to first point out that the ZR1 F/R weight distribution ratio is only 1% different from a Z06. Z06=51/49 ZR1=52/48 (that translates to 33 extra lbs in the front of a ZR1)

2. I will have to guess that front to rear weight distribution numbers, and corner weighting are done/assumed with an average driver's weight sitting in the drivers seat?...

3. Last point not as important as the first two but is still a factor nonetheless...adjusting stock ride height will affect the corner weight/balance of car.

Would love to see a bone stock Z and a bone stock ZR done on the same scale to have a fair comparison of the weights.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

One important info you may want to check: how much gas was in the tanks when the car was weighed?

As I understand if the tanks were not full you could also have a difference between the left and right tanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM
B-ZR1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the haters, Thanks for posting. It's cool to see.

I can see the front right being heavier maybe because the dry sump is on that side. The only thing I can come up with for the rear is maybe the 2 gas tanks are not equalized for some reason??

as far as the 6 gallons coming off the line, it is only something like 2 gallons (I can't remember what they told me at the plant).
Near the end of the line, the fluids are put in, then a tech cranks the car for about a minute to let a computer run some checks. Then it goes to final inspection, then "owner first crank with 0 miles" as pictured below. Then they drive the car for alignment and final tests/checks.
But look at the gas gauge in these pics taken when BAD ZR1 & I cranked the cars coming off the line.

About 1/8th a tank is all you get from the Plant.

My ZR1

BAD ZR1
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
3. Last point not as important as the first two but is still a factor nonetheless...adjusting stock ride height will affect the corner weight/balance of car.
That is correct. As an additional note Peter's car is still stock height.

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Would love to see a bone stock Z and a bone stock ZR done on the same scale to have a fair comparison of the weights.
I know there are a couple of ZR1's near me that I believe are still stock so the next thing is finding a Z. I've been passing a guy in a CE Z06 the past few days and told him about cars-n-coffee this wkd. If I see him there I'll see if he'd be willing to play along for our test.

To make it apples-to-apples I'd ask both parties to fill up all the way at the same gas station then drive to me together. That way the gas should be as identical as it can be, weight wise.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by B-ZR1
Forget the haters, Thanks for posting. It's cool to see.

I can see the front right being heavier maybe because the dry sump is on that side. The only thing I can come up with for the rear is maybe the 2 gas tanks are not equalized for some reason??

as far as the 6 gallons coming off the line, it is only something like 2 gallons (I can't remember what they told me at the plant).
Near the end of the line, the fluids are put in, then a tech cranks the car for about a minute to let a computer run some checks. Then it goes to final inspection, then "owner first crank with 0 miles" as pictured below. Then they drive the car for alignment and final tests/checks.
But look at the gas gauge in these pics taken when BAD ZR1 & I cranked the cars coming off the line.

About 1/8th a tank is all you get from the Plant.

My ZR1

BAD ZR1

Our guess is the dry-sump weight as well regarding the heavy right front. The rear could definitely be the tanks not being equal. Maybe we should have done a full tank(s) of gas instead as it would be easier to deduct the weight with simple math. We could then say for sure what it is dry, no gas only.

Oh man, you hurt some feelings with those assembly line pics. Six gallons my butt. At current gas prices that would be @$24 a car GM is giving away. Sure!

The 1/8 of a tank (2gals) sounds a lot more reasonable. Thanks again for sharing that.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
That is correct. As an additional note Peter's car is still stock height.

I know there are a couple of ZR1's near me that I believe are still stock so the next thing is finding a Z. I've been passing a guy in a CE Z06 the past few days and told him about cars-n-coffee this wkd. If I see him there I'll see if he'd be willing to play along for our test.

To make it apples-to-apples I'd ask both parties to fill up all the way at the same gas station then drive to me together. That way the gas should be as identical as it can be, weight wise.
When you do this, make sure they are out of gear without the parking brake off/level ground. All tires are at the same pressure, steering torque is zero. Also, crawl under and make sure the sway bar links are free with no preload on them .. if they do, correct that issue before weighing.

Last edited by MachAll 2005; 02-29-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can take 100 identically optioned cars, all with the same measured amount of fuel in them, and they will all weigh exactly the same within a few grams of one another.
While identical equipped car weights aren't going to vary by 100 lbs, they are going to very by more than a few grams. I have weighed brand new tires, sets of 4, same size/model with the same date code and batch number on there, that can vary as much as 1/2 lb from tire to tire. Same thing for OEM wheels as well.

All C5/C6's are light in the RR, for those of us with race cars, it typically takes a significant amount of ballast concentrated for the RR to bring them up even.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
When you do this, make sure they are out of gear without the parking brake off. All tires are at the same pressure, steering torque is zero. Also, crawl under and make sure the sway bar links are free with no preload on them .. if they do, correct that issue before weighing.
That seems way to scientific for me Mach.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 03-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 ZR1 weigh in completed!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
While identical equipped car weights aren't going to vary by 100 lbs, they are going to very by more than a few grams. I have weighed brand new tires, sets of 4, same size/model with the same date code and batch number on there, that can vary as much as 1/2 lb from tire to tire. Same thing for OEM wheels as well.

All C5/C6's are light in the RR, for those of us with race cars, it typically takes a significant amount of ballast concentrated for the RR to bring them up even.
Hey, where in the world have you been? You can't just come out of the wood works busting into my threads just because you are the king of lightweight.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
B-ZR1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't remember, so I went and checked what side the battery is on, and it is RR so that's not where the difference is.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
...Our 2010 3ZR MSO Shipping Wgt showed 3278 LB ... hasn't been on a scales

mine is the exactly the same.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 2011 ZR1 weigh in completed!