Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Problem with Z06 5th gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 AM
LS6-M22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem with Z06 5th gear grind

As of lately I have been experiencing a grind going into 5th gear under hard acceleration out of 4th.It happens even when the car is fully warmed up.If I shift easy under little to no throttle it wont happen(normal driving).I would bring it to the dealer but you really have to be breaking the law to get the car to grind into 5th so I don't think they will even consider it a problem.Is there any one out there with advice or similar problems to this?The car is a '09 Zo6 with less then 4K on the odometer.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:37 AM
hefti2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 0.02: Maybe your reverse lockout solenoid at the tranny is defective?! Did you have an aftermarket exhaust underneath? Sometime the plug of that solenoid slides out while installing a new exhaust (proximity to each other).
If so this might be the culprit.. Just check while normal driving if you can move the shifter to the very right position (DON´T PUSH INTO REVERSE!!) right behind the reverse gear position. If so that´s it.
I have the similar issue- the lockout switch is sometimes working, sometimes not.. I don´t know why...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
LS6-M22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the car is totally stock and it seems I just started having this problem.I never really heard of a 5th gear syncro going in these trannys but I guess anything is possible.Well I'm sure if it is anything bad it will get progressively worse over time and start doing it all the time so then I can bring it to the dealer and do a demo without having to go 100+mph
Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem on my 08.....it was a bad 5th gear syncro...go figure.....but it was covered under warranty....FWIW.....I don't drive/beat the car or shift it hard....just one of those things...(.for a moment there I just thought I had short legs and wasn't engaging the clutch in all the way)......ha.........butbe advised... it is a major tear down to replace.....but all is well and AOK...it should be covered under the power train....

Last edited by PatriotZ; 03-29-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Let me or Evan know how it goes at the dealer. Feel free to contact us if you need any other assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (filling in for Evan).
Old 03-15-2016, 05:17 AM
David Tatlonghari
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gear grinds

i have a 2001 base corvette. 5th gear wont go through it just grinds so bad. 1st to 4th gear works just fine. any help would be appreaciated.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by David Tatlonghari
i have a 2001 base corvette. 5th gear wont go through it just grinds so bad. 1st to 4th gear works just fine. any help would be appreaciated.
With an '01 (C5) you're in the wrong forum Dave, this is C6.
Post your question here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/

However, IF you're experiencing grinding it's probably a bad synchro, at least 5th. It has to be repaired, can only get worse & possibly damage other components.
Not a cheap fix.
Rear-end/tranny has to be dropped out. Lots of labor.
Hopefully there's a competent independent speed oriented shop(s) close to you, experienced w/ C5 & C6 a must.

Also can search for any/all local Corvette Clubs. Larger metro areas have more than one, all depends where you live. Write an email to the hyperlink always listed on CC sites, usually the 'Pres' gets emails.
Ask who they w/could recommend for this job, they're happy to help & steer you in the right direction. G/L
The following users liked this post:
David Tatlonghari (03-22-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with Z06 5th gear grind

Quick Reply: [Z06] Problem with Z06 5th gear grind