Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Cup tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think those settings just effect the shock stiffness, not the spring tension, so it wouldn't help.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No place to put a "rubber" in on these cars to stiffen springs is there

Ian
Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by isnider
I would get as much camber as I could. The fact is that the inside of the tire has harder compound and will hold up just fine. The outer outer of the tire softer compound (where there is virtually no tread) is the part you have to protect with the negative camber. I would go -2.0 without hesitation specifically with the Sport Cups.

Ian
OK Ian, you have convinced me to try the -2.0 camber and 0 toe on all 4 corners. Any downside or negative characteristics you have noticed when street driving on the PS2s? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isnider
With those temps and Cup Tires you better do a couple warm up laps at 50%!

I would probably run the PS2's to be honest...not worth the risk IMHO.

I ran the Cup Tires at VIR in February and it just was too scary for me in the mornings slipping and sliding around. I got the car sideways a couple times and almost got hit by the car behind me.

Everyone wants to try and keep up with the ZR1's on the track and they don't seem to understand if you aren't hauling a$$ the first lap out and it was just plain dangerous in that regard.

Ian
I agree. The PS2s are on the car and will likely stay on for this one... hopefully there will be plenty of hot sticky track days for hot sticky track tires this summer. It is pretty cool that the car is so good right off the showroom floor.

Noel
Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicecal
OK Ian, you have convinced me to try the -2.0 camber and 0 toe on all 4 corners. Any downside or negative characteristics you have noticed when street driving on the PS2s? Thanks.
No noticeable difference on the street to be honest. If you check the spec's of the PS2's, they are very similar to the Cup tire in that they have a harder compound on the inner part of the tread with additional cording to deal the loads of additional camber and to minimize distortion under load.

We all know the tires on the ZR1 are mega wide and no matter what tire or alignment, they like to follow ruts in the highway. What amazes me about both Michelin tires is how quiet they are compared to the Goodyears.

I'm back at VIR in two weeks, tires are rotated (a lot of people don't realize these tires can be rotated and are NOT directional like the Goodyears), new brake pads installed, new brake fluid, toe-links greased, oil topped off!

Can't wait!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I think those settings just effect the shock stiffness, not the spring tension, so it wouldn't help.
the MR shocks can have an "spring" effect which is why the vehicle rides so well in the street setting but can dialed in for the track (the ride/handling engineers can reduce spring rate and allow the shocks to perform some of the spring's job under the more agressive settings) However, I am not certain that full jounce would be avoided in your specific case. so my long winded comment is....maybe it would help...

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Cup tires