Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Service Active handling Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Larry T
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I had the Active Handling 'recall' serviced on my 06 Z06 a couple of years ago, clip installed at no charge; I continually get a recall notice card in the mail(last one two weeks ago)for this same recall...wish I had it to scan to you but I discarded the notice...Larry T
Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

I had the "Service Active handling" message.
Found DTC C0710
The dealer fixed it with clip # E9464. (Part # 19179794)
Bulletin # 06-02-35-002B.

2006 2LZ

It was done @ 18,176 miles. 19JUN2008.

No issues since.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 AM
c5goodlife
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Service Active Handling Message

Great info here. Thank you gentlemen.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Mrdowden33
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is a lot of confusion on the sequence of events when Active Handling activates when it shouldn't. There are three things we do know.

1.) When the Service Message is displayed the EBCM has already turned off Active Handling and as long as that message is displayed Active Handling is not functional.

2.) When the message is not displayed Active Handling is functional. Even if you turn it off with the push button it is still functioning in a suspended state just waiting for you to push the switch or for the car to override your selection due to a tire pressure issue.

3.) The EBCM resets with each ignition cycle so intermittent failures and the messages they cause will disappear each time you start the engine. If you have a hard failure the EBCM will display a message as soon as the engine starts or as soon as the internal self test is completed which occurs before the car gets to 10 mph.

There is nothing to say your problem is a safety related issue. The steering sensor can go bad and when the EBCM sees the wrong data from the sensor it turns active handling off.

The safety issue probably comes when the sensor or connector is close to failing the internal test and the EBCM sees spurious signals which although incorrect are not of range and thus it generates an active handling intervention when it shouldn't happen.

On some cars as the intervention occurs the EBCM detects an issue thus throwing a code that turns off Active Handling and displays the Service Message. What the driver experiences is a sudden pull on the steering, which is released at some point followed by the Service Active Handling message. This can occur quite fast and I suspect that since the driver is looking down the road and not at the DIC when the intervention occurs they think the message caused the intervention when it is the other way around. On other cars there will be no Service Message just the pulling of the steering wheel until the marginal condition disappears. I have a couple of nice videos showing that happening to my car on an autocross course. The in car video shows the steering wheel being yanked from my hands and then turning back and forth while the outside video shows what was happening with the car. I also had a passenger in the car who witnessed the whole thing. I had turned Active Handling off and at no time did the DIC show a Service Message. By the way my car has the clip in the connector and the connector isn't loose.

It is only when the DIC has no message there is a potential safety issue. While the Service Message is being displayed you are not in danger as the system will not reset until the next ignition cycle. If you have a solid Service Message when you start the car you don't have a safety issue.

If you are worried about the problem all you have to do is pull the ABS fuses thus killing the EBCM so it can't do a single thing. Of course you won't have ABS and the ABS and TC lights on the IP will be lit.

Bill

" The driver experiences is a sudden pull on the steering, which is released at some point followed by the Service Active Handling message."

This just happened on my 06' C6. What's the best permanent fix for this?? and how much $?? ...Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
dreamvette05 (07-17-2016)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,963 Likes on 5,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrdowden33
" The driver experiences is a sudden pull on the steering, which is released at some point followed by the Service Active Handling message."

This just happened on my 06' C6. What's the best permanent fix for this?? and how much $?? ...Thanks.
Not sure what a permanent fix would be right now. It depends on what happened in the system. The steering sensor, yaw sensor and lateral G sensor all provide inputs to the EBCM so it can decide what to do. Any of those could cause an unwanted activation under the proper conditions. That is why it is necessary to find out the codes so you know where to look and what tests need to be done.

Bill
Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Your recall is
Campaign Number 10V17200
Vehicles Affected built during March 2004 and January 2006
w/Tilt and Telescoping Column
Chevrolet 1-800-630-2438

So, if your car is not in that build date, then you have no recall. Get the code scanned and proceed from there.
The following 2 users liked this post by glenB:
dreamvette05 (07-17-2016), pj-c7 (02-24-2021)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 PM
billcar9999
Instructor

I've been off the forum for quite a while. It's funny that this issue is still around. I went through all of this on an 06 Convertible. The issue is that the EBCM looses communications with the rest of the system. The codes didn't paint the whole picture.

I'd been to the dealer 9 or so times and had two very interesting lane departures. I had a data collection module from the dealer (authorized by Chevy) because I wanted them to fix the problem or replace the car. They could not replicate the problem. Within 24 hours, I got the message, captured the data and got authorization from Chevy to replace the EBCM. After that, I never got the message again. Ever.

My assumptions are that the EBCM is the same in the Z06. The software has probably been tweaked as compared to the coupe or convertible but the system function is the same. If you've been through the connector fix and wiring replacement and wheel sensor replacement you're probably looking at the EBCM for the root cause. As far as I know, you can't prove it with standard diagnostics. You have to collect data from the car when the message appears.

Bill
Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exhaust system is on your car? I finaly cured my problem.I found on the CTSV forum that when they put cutouts on the car it would bring up the Stabilitrac light and hit the brakes.I took my loud straight exhaust off and haven't seen the light since.I had the recalls done and put my own SWPS in.It never helped my car tillI took the straight thru Bullits of thr car and went back to Corsa's. The loud exhaust actually vibrates the YAW sensor which in turn starts all the trouble.
The following users liked this post:
tbevins (05-11-2016)
Old 08-27-2012, 04:07 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

great info guys. I am now in the pursuit of the gremlin. I had my car tug the car to the right as i was going straight, doing about 30mph and i had been cruising around not any aggressive cornering. My car had the clip done, but i can turn the steering wheel and get the error. does this sound like the harness or connector?? or more the steering wheel sensor??
Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,963 Likes on 5,349 Posts

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
great info guys. I am now in the pursuit of the gremlin. I had my car tug the car to the right as i was going straight, doing about 30mph and i had been cruising around not any aggressive cornering. My car had the clip done, but i can turn the steering wheel and get the error. does this sound like the harness or connector?? or more the steering wheel sensor??
There are a number of reasons why you can get the Service Message. As long as that message is displayed the system is disabled so you don't need to worry about funny things happening while the message is on. Check the connector for loose fittings, poor connections and also check the sensor itself.

Bill
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I never updated my thread it seems. Sometime after I posted this, later April, I dug into the steering column, found the wire in question. On my car, it had already had the "fix" applied interestingly enough. A previous owner must have had it done. But it was loose. I shoved the plug and connector in and it has not come back since. Good luck everyone. Mine was just a simple loose connection.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll go digging in the column tonight. Yesterday i was cruising along and remembered someone here saying the steering column at full extension may also put added stress on the connector. So i hit the button to jog it forward just a tick and immediately the brakes engaged and yanked the car, haha. Not the best feeling in the world, and then seconds later the service active handling came on. hopefully i'll find a loose wire.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Tommy Langley
1st Gear

Default Lucky to be alive

I was driving on the highway then my service active handling light came on and my car started to ding, then i was thrown to my right across the highway into a wall. this just happened, and im trying to figure it out. can i sue? has this happened before? how do i prove it? idk what to do. i have a 2006 corvette c6 coupe.

Originally Posted by BrokerDon
Everybody who also had this problem should file a formal complaint with NHSTA online to demand GM's recall INCLUDE our Z06's too. Yes, that's right, the Z06 was EXCLUDED from GM's recall which leaves us to pay for these repairs out of our pockets even though we purchased GM's most expensive car! (or at least it was in 2006),

File your NHTSA complaint here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

It only takes about 5 minutes and if enough of us complain they can probably get GM to add our Z06's to this safety recall!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

wow, thats pretty rough...its going to be tough to prove that. Sorry to hear your car got smashed up.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Larry T
Racer

I took my 2006 ZO6 in for this recall years ago(no cost)and the 'clip' fixed the problem; records were not sufficiently updated and I continually get a recall in the mail for this recall...I just received one yesterday and it is written as an 'open recall for Chevrolet Corvette'...
Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Richard Lee Rivera
1st Gear

i suggested to a corvette owner that maybe it needs to be reprogrammed but for something to take control for you in driving is hard to concept .
Old 07-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Sub'd

Quick Reply: [Z06] Service Active handling Recall