Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Post Warranty LS7 Piece of Mind

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 AM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Post Warranty LS7 Piece of Mind

No, I am not offering it, I am asking how to get it.

After reading about the potential issues of LS7s and more generally, their exhaust valves, what is the most cost-effective thing someone could do after buying a used Z06 that was ineligible for a GMPP? How much does your method cost? I imagine most people will mention mailing your heads off to get beefed up springs, rockers, exhaust valves, etc. I have no idea how much that costs.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:17 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Dont mail anything out,have a reputable local shop do the work and its that simple.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by valet_devil
No, I am not offering it, I am asking how to get it.

After reading about the potential issues of LS7s and more generally, their exhaust valves, what is the most cost-effective thing someone could do after buying a used Z06 that was ineligible for a GMPP? How much does your method cost? I imagine most people will mention mailing your heads off to get beefed up springs, rockers, exhaust valves, etc. I have no idea how much that costs.
Look into getting an extended warranty from someone other than GMPP, like Vehicle 1.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
musicmankeb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around 1,200-1,300 if you don't replace any valves and just have the valve guides replaced, heads cnc ported, and milled. If you replace the intake valves then it's about $1,280 more plus figure on shipping costs. Now add springs I'd say another $250 and retainers another $250.

With all that said, I'd recommend doing a cam at this point since you have everything torn down anyway.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Look into getting an extended warranty from someone other than GMPP, like Vehicle 1.

Why not from GMPP?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
Why not from GMPP?
No problem with GMPP if he can get it.

Just saying that if he can't get it, to look into one of the other warranty options.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Just saying that if he can't get it, to look into one of the other warranty options.

Ohh cool. Yeah GM told me to come back before my warranty expired and get the 3/36 extended plan. The Major guard was like $2200 for 4 year 50K. I bought a 2008 with very low miles and she was trying to get me to buy the 4 year. I kept asking her why I would buy the 4 year now when I have 1 year of CPO? She said the 3/36 would cost more later due to the car being 1 year older. I said that I would take my chances.

Do you think the Major Guard is needed? It covers everything.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
Ohh cool. Yeah GM told me to come back before my warranty expired and get the 3/36 extended plan. The Major guard was like $2200 for 4 year 50K. I bought a 2008 with very low miles and she was trying to get me to buy the 4 year. I kept asking her why I would buy the 4 year now when I have 1 year of CPO? She said the 3/36 would cost more later due to the car being 1 year older. I said that I would take my chances.

Do you think the Major Guard is needed? It covers everything.
Yes, if you can get it.

I think it even offers some towards a rental during the time your car is down.

One problem with some of the warranties is the overlap in coverage.

That is, you buy a GMPP when you first get the car for say 4 yrs or 5yrs.

All that does really, is extend your bumper to bumper because your power train is covered for 5yrs anyway with the factory warranty.

On the one hand, you can get the GMPP cheaper because the car is new.

But on the downside of it, it only "extends" the power train part of your warranty by whatever amount in terms of "years" it runs from the date you got it.

If that's "less" than what you have left on your factory power train warranty, then all you really have done is extend the bumper to bumper part of the warranty, all but the power train.

If it's more than what you have left on the factory power train warranty, then so much the better.

Timing, when you buy an extended warranty, is everything.

Personally, I would not but one until the 3/36 was about to run out.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Yes, if you can get it.

I think it even offers some towards a rental during the time your car is down.

One problem with some of the warranties is the overlap in coverage.

That is, you buy a GMPP when you first get the car for say 4 yrs or 5yrs.

All that does really, is extend your bumper to bumper because your power train is covered for 5yrs anyway with the factory warranty.

On the one hand, you can get the GMPP cheaper because the car is new.

But on the downside of it, it only "extends" the power train part of your warranty by whatever amount in terms of "years" it runs from the date you got it.

If that's "less" than what you have left on your factory power train warranty, then all you really have done is extend the bumper to bumper part of the warranty, all but the power train.

If it's more than what you have left on the factory power train warranty, then so much the better.

Timing, when you buy an extended warranty, is everything.
Exactly. I tried to explain this to the sales woman. She just wanted to make the sale. I said ill buy it right now if it starts after my CPO runs out. She said it didn't. I said then I'm paying for 1 year of extended warranty while I was still under a CPO. She just had a blank look on her face. LOL

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up a comprehensive powertrain warranty on my 07'Z from Fidelity. 6yr, 60k miles AFTER my original warranty had expired. Cost:$1700
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...Timing, when you buy an extended warranty, is everything.

Personally, I would not but one until the 3/36 was about to run out.

my philosophy exactly...
Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I just picked up a comprehensive powertrain warranty on my 07'Z from Fidelity. 6yr, 60k miles AFTER my original warranty had expired. Cost:$1700
That's worth considering.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember the specifics, but I bought a GMPP just before my 3/36k ran out. I was told that I would not be able to buy another because the car would be too old when the GMPP ran out. If you buy one when the car is new, you might be able to maximize the length of warranty coverage. Of course, this is assuming you will keep it that long and not drive over the miles.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Some very intelligent replies to a post where I didn't even spell "peace" right. Proud day for me and my family.

So the gist of it is, get a GMPP if you can or another reputable aftermarket warranty or pay about a grand more than that and do preventative maintenance. I think I might lean towards the warranty since you're never sure what could go wrong.

Any warranties to clearly stay away from? They didn't pony up at the moment of truth?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
That sounds like a pretty good deal.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
.... If you buy one when the car is new, you might be able to maximize the length of warranty coverage.....
No doubt, you will.

But you will pay a lot to extend it beyond the 60 month power train warranty already on it.

You have 5yr's on the factory power train the day you take delivery of a new Vette.

In order to extend that to say 6yrs beyond that initial deliver date, it's going to cost you a good amount to do so, plus you will be paying to overlap the 5 yrs you have already.

Really then what you have, is a 1 year extension on the original power train warranty. Plus another 36 months on the non power train items.

But the warranty company, does not look at it as a 1 year power train warranty extension. They look at it as a 6 year warranty .......So really what you are paying all of that dough for is 1 extra year of power train warranty over what the car comes from the factory with, and another 3 years of coverage on the non power train stuff.

That's why I believe it better to hold off extending your warranty until the 3/36 is about to run out.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

These only apply if the original warranty hasn't expired yet correct?

I'm living in Germany for now, and I couldn't find any extended warranties that applied to me here overseas understandibly so.

As it is my original warranty expired last September.

Get notified of new replies

To Post Warranty LS7 Piece of Mind

Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to consider, when you can't get a gmpp and are shopping alternatives, make sure you do your homework on some of these companies.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
dagartdan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently purchased a GMPP Major Guard Plan through Dennis Fichtner at Fichtner Chevrolet, a member here on the Forum. If your original warranty is about to expire, give him a call. My 09 was near the end of its original warranty and I was able to purchase a plan that fit my needs and budget. Dennis offered several GMPP plans and options, all at reasonable prices. Example, 5yrs/ 40000 additional miles/ $0 deductible/ $250 a year.... ! Cheap insurance if you ask me! It can also be extend once again before the end of the term.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Post Warranty LS7 Piece of Mind