Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Talked to Rich at WCCH today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Here is what you need to know right now to assess whether you are individually at risk. If you have excessive valvetrain noise or oil consumption you should have it looked at. If you are in warranty and your engine is not modified it will be covered. If you have an aftermarket cam it will not be covered. I'm not sure of what other aftermarket modifications dictate whether or not it will be covered, but we should know more about that soon. Further info is coming soon.

The proper fix if the vehicle is out of warranty or modified is bronze guides with Ti/Mo intake valves and OEM exhaust valves such as Katech has been doing all along. It was our experience in the C5-R and C6.R racing programs and the bronze guide/molybdenum coated intake valve which brought us to this conclusion. C5-R heads with 15,000 race miles showed virtually no measurable wear on the valve guide.
For those looking to modify their LS7 heads I really don't see how much more clearer it can be stated than this! Here is your fix if you want to redo your heads, coming from the one company who has more experience than any other company when it comes to BUILDING and PROFESSIONALLY RACING Corvettes and these ENGINES for Corvette Racing (or just a street driven heads/cam LS7)!!!!!!

Also, Jason provides great info above as to what the warning signs are if you think your Z is going to have an issue, thanks Jason.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 08-31-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The ti/mo valves are super expensive though over 1200$ that's almost more than the head work itself. Specially when we haven't seen failures.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
The ti/mo valves are super expensive though over 1200$ that's almost more than the head work itself. Specially when we haven't seen failures.
Yes. I'm a little amused that part of the approved solution to exhaust valve guide wear is replacement of intake valves.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,101 Likes on 581 Posts

If the OEM intakes aren't compatable with the bronze guides then why not sintered iron guides for the OEM intakes and silicone bronze for the exhaust??
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
hoefi
Racer

So, I take this as Katech is officially saying that THERE IS A PROBLEM.

The important thing is not what Katech can do to solve the problem. It's what GM can do to solve the problem. Give a customer the same engine after the first one is blown is a joke. Eventually, the customer runs out of warranty, then what happens. Everyone lines up outside Katech after their warranty is out with their credit cards in hand?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is what you need to know right now to assess whether you are individually at risk. If you have excessive valvetrain noise or oil consumption you should have it looked at. If you are in warranty and your engine is not modified it will be covered. If you have an aftermarket cam it will not be covered. I'm not sure of what other aftermarket modifications dictate whether or not it will be covered, but we should know more about that soon. Further info is coming soon.

The proper fix if the vehicle is out of warranty or modified is bronze guides with Ti/Mo intake valves and OEM exhaust valves such as Katech has been doing all along. It was our experience in the C5-R and C6.R racing programs and the bronze guide/molybdenum coated intake valve which brought us to this conclusion. C5-R heads with 15,000 race miles showed virtually no measurable wear on the valve guide.
Thank you.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Thanks, that helps. Anxiously awaiting your update.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for commenting Jason. Too much uncertainty to move to SS valves. What people who accuse you of covering for GM don't realize is you build engines with the same oem exhaust valves. AND put a warranty behind it.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:40 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

thank you for posting . It will be nice to see you're findings so we can finally put this to rest .
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have there been ANY intake valve issues with production Z's?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
Have there been ANY intake valve issues with production Z's?
Yes, there have been intake failures as well, just less of them.

I'm sort of surprised that some above drive a car at this price point but balk at the cost of Ti/Mo valves. They are a little pricey I guess. However, I would think if you're really set on not spending much, maybe only have bronze guides pressed into your exhaust valves and replace those valves with OEM units. Not sure if there is a downside to this, but I just did it all with bronze, OEM exhaust and katech Ti/Mo intakes. I drive my car hard and don't think about it anymore, well worth a few grand to me. To each their own.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If I'm reading you right, then it's sounding like the valve guides were the problem, and going from the powdered steel valve guides to the bronze valve guides is the way to go.

However in doing that, then keep the stock exhaust valves, but change the intake valves to ti/mo coated.

So was it the valve guides which were causing the exhaust valves to fail?

I ask that question because you're not saying throw out the exhaust valves themselves, but you are saying throw out the stock (exhaust) valve guides (as well as the stock intake valve guides)and go from there.

This all would imply that there was a problem with some bad guides.

Also with regard to the part in bold above, would you please clarify:

"The proper fix if the vehicle is out of warranty or modified is bronze guides with Ti/Mo intake valves and OEM exhaust valves such as Katech has been doing all along."

Is this also the proper fix for a car which is still in warranty????
Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Jason! Someone should make this post a sticky! (not the whole thread)
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Thanks for commenting Jason. Too much uncertainty to move to SS valves. What people who accuse you of covering for GM don't realize is you build engines with the same oem exhaust valves. AND put a warranty behind it.
EXACTLY, Hello, is ANYONE home!!!!!

But that is what fear and paranoia does to a person!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Thanks for your help Jason. My question is how can we explain (demonstrate)to a dealer that the car has excessive valve train noise when all they do is say its normal.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:27 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

Lingenfelter uses OEM exhaust valves also. I consider us both leaders in the industry so take it for what it's worth.
I didn't know that, but that's good to know. And for what it's worth Jason, my post wasn't meant as an assault against Katech. I'm not looking to point a finger at anyone or to throw anyone under a bus. I'm just a concerned owner doing the best I can to sort through the various opinions and data, hoping to come to a solution that doesn't involve me replacing a motor, that's all. My '06 Z has 24k on it, I'm just hoping to hear that there's a concrete solution to this situation. I don't disbelieve Jason or anyone else. I just want to make sure when I tear the car apart it gets done right, not repaired with a band-aid. It makes me a little nervous that waiting could potentially cost me a lot of money, or nothing at all. So if anything, take my posts regarding this subject as a concerned owner that admittedly knows nothing about this, not a guy that claims to know more than anyone.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so the two questions i have is...what is WCCH doing for the intake valves? cause there using bronze guides
and who does Katechs heads? If i went to Katech do they rebuild them there or send them out?

Get notified of new replies

To Talked to Rich at WCCH today...

Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Thanks for your help Jason. My question is how can we explain (demonstrate)to a dealer that the car has excessive valve train noise when all they do is say its normal.
I have wondered that myself....does anyone have a sound clip of a bad valve train? mine seems quiet while driving...other then what i assume is a small injector noise coming into the cabin
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy
Yes. I'm a little amused that part of the approved solution to exhaust valve guide wear is replacement of intake valves.
I've posted about intake guide wear before.

Originally Posted by Undy
If the OEM intakes aren't compatable with the bronze guides then why not sintered iron guides for the OEM intakes and silicone bronze for the exhaust??
That is an option.

Originally Posted by hoefi
So, I take this as Katech is officially saying that THERE IS A PROBLEM.
Nothing changed. I've been saying to replace the guides with bronze all along.

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
If I'm reading you right, then it's sounding like the valve guides were the problem, and going from the powdered steel valve guides to the bronze valve guides is the way to go.

However in doing that, then keep the stock exhaust valves, but change the intake valves to ti/mo coated.

So was it the valve guides which were causing the exhaust valves to fail?

I ask that question because you're not saying throw out the exhaust valves themselves, but you are saying throw out the stock (exhaust) valve guides (as well as the stock intake valve guides)and go from there.

This all would imply that there was a problem with some bad guides.

Also with regard to the part in bold above, would you please clarify:

"The proper fix if the vehicle is out of warranty or modified is bronze guides with Ti/Mo intake valves and OEM exhaust valves such as Katech has been doing all along."

Is this also the proper fix for a car which is still in warranty????
Sure, you can do the bronze guides if you're in warranty, but GM won't pay for aftermarket parts on a warranty. You would be on your own in that case.

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Soon you will have a way to do this.

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
ok so the two questions i have is...what is WCCH doing for the intake valves? cause there using bronze guides
and who does Katechs heads? If i went to Katech do they rebuild them there or send them out?
WCCH has been polishing the stock intake valves. We say improvement when doing this, but not to the standards we were looking for.

WCCH has been doing Katech's heads as dictated by us with bronze guides and Ti/Mo intake valves.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Jason, appreciate you staying involved and sharing your findings. Just curious but do you know why this is only affecting a small number of engines and not all of them?

Any idea why GM changed part # for 2009 and later exhaust valves?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Talked to Rich at WCCH today...