Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
If you wait until it breaks, there is NO repair Paul; it's an entire engine that gets destroyed or even an entire car if you are going down the interstate when it drops the valve and destroys the block (puking its fluids under the car, at speed).

With a problem like this, you can't wait until it breaks (if you're out of warranty) to repair anything. Preventive maintenance is the only measure at this point that determines whether you spend 3,000 or 15,000 dollars. If you stand idley by, odds are it will be the latter of those prices.

-jeff
The context in which I said the thing about fixing something that wasn't broke was in relation to the guy who just sent his heads to WCCH to be 'fixed' and they weren't even out of spec...that's truly fixing something that ain't broke, hell it wasn't even worn, what a waste and there's gunna be a lot more of that happening with all this lastest sky is falling crap.

OF COURSE you don't wait until the valve drops to fix it. What you do is intelligently attempt to figure out IF you've got excessive wear going on, as opposed to just blindly going in and fixing ever single one of the 27,000 freakin Z06s out there.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by azZ06Mike
Got an email from WCCH and they will have my measurements later today but they did say in the email the guide wear was minimal but i only have 11,000 miles and already showing wear.
Did you get the specifics?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM
CorvetteThom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savaGe
What happens when you bring your car into the dealer, do exactly as you said, and the dealer tells you "we will NOT take off the heads and inspect them because if the engine does fail, we then would be liable to fix it".
This is what my local dealer told me. I explained to him that I would pay for the inspection, and they said they still will not touch it.
What a dumb thing for a dealer to say. I'd tell them to close the service side of their business. If they don't have confidence in their mechanics to complete an inspection, and replace the materials then they shouldn't be in the business. Even if the heads are fine, it's not like they're providing an indefinite warranty on the engine/valvetrain because they inspected it.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteThom
What a dumb thing for a dealer to say. I'd tell them to close the service side of their business. If they don't have confidence in their mechanics to complete an inspection, and replace the materials then they shouldn't be in the business. Even if the heads are fine, it's not like they're providing an indefinite warranty on the engine/valvetrain because they inspected it.
after reading bktmbill post (423). Im going back next week and going to raise hell. I've bought 2 silverado's, tahoe, camaro, equinox, cts , avalanche, and this vette. i shouldn't even have to pay for them to look at the heads. They should also give me a rental for at least the brand loyalty.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
The context in which I said the thing about fixing something that wasn't broke was in relation to the guy who just sent his heads to WCCH to be 'fixed' and they weren't even out of spec...that's truly fixing something that ain't broke, hell it wasn't even worn, what a waste and there's gunna be a lot more of that happening with all this lastest sky is falling crap.

OF COURSE you don't wait until the valve drops to fix it. What you do is intelligently attempt to figure out IF you've got excessive wear going on, as opposed to just blindly going in and fixing ever single one of the 27,000 freakin Z06s out there.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul since your the prefessional behind engineer on the forum please let us know what the issue is. I am sure if i waited until i dropped a valve in my built Z06 i would be out about 15k. So spending a few grand to ensure my car runs strong is well justified.

Just because you don't see an issue does not make you correct by any means. Please keep your opinion to yourself as you have no value in my opinion to this topic!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 AM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ssmoke
Did you get the specifics?
Will have in the morning but the guides did show some wear after 11,000 miles.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Guys, we need to get this thread back on topic. Now we are getting into dealer repair nightmare stories.. we could start a separate sticky or thread on that alone and it would go 50+ pages.

And my advice, FWIW ...a statement if any by GM again is going to be (as I've said already 100 times) most likely on Par with what Mike (OP) has stated on the first page. I see no reason why Mike would just conjure all this up.

I would stop speculating. Most folks mind is made up already, and most have decided to put faith/trust in Richard at WCCH which is fine. Then those of us are still waiting for more info from an additional resources before we have our minds made up the sky is falling or not.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bktmbill
just picked up 08z at dealership. dropped off 18 days ago for ticking noise at 2200rpm. history on car is as follows:

2008 z06 7800 miles
stock tune
no mods except for mgw shifter
oil changed every 2000-3000 miles mobil one 5-30
12 passes at drags 10-15 140mph pulls. best et. 12.19 121mph 2.0 60ft
bought with 2800 miles in july of 2011. garage queen owned by 60 yr.old dr.

around late may of this year with 6500 miles on odo noticed ticking sound at 1800rpm and at 2200 rpm. this was itermitting but then stayed at 2200 and was constant. didnt want to take any chances so took it to dealer. he called the nexy day and said they drove and definetly could could here it. tech put scope on it and said it was exhaust side of head on driverside. one week later approval from gm was given to remove heads. after inspection of heads had 4 exhaust valves wore greater than .010. i was then informed that heads would be replaced and all associated components inspected for wear or damage. checked back in a week and they said they were exspecting parts in a day or two. another week passes and i stop to see old parts and service manager said jod is done. he took me back to look at old heads. i did the wiggle test and they definetly had excessive play. rockers were also replaced they had a trianglular wear pattern on them that favored one side. they reused pushrods and lifters. the tech who performed this job said this was his first ls7he has done. long story short. this car is dead silent at any rpm. pulls noticably harder than when it had 2800 miles. exsaust note is different even in competetive mode no moore smoodge on exhaust tips either. i am very happy with repair there is not one scratch,dent,stripped bolt ,broken wire loom connector ect. absolutely perfect job. my personal opinion on these engines is that the guide bore dia. is oversize from the day they leave the vendors assembly point. just my opinion. i am just learning about the ls engine after many years away from cars. will try to post pictures if anyone is interested.
Exactly the experience I had except they also replaced my lifters and they told me to keep my car in my garage while we waited for the parts to arrive. It's definitely wothwhile to listen to your engine with the hood up and you outside of the car revving the engine slowly up to about 2,500 RPMs with your foot on the gas pedal.

Listen for a sound that is best described as a distinct tapping noise from the topside of the engine.

The sound of a faint ticking is normal injector noise. If in doubt about the sound you hear, take it to your dealer for an inspection.

Last edited by beden1; 09-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM
nzk
Burning Brakes

replacing guides and valves is a waste of money since we dont know what is CAUSING the guides to wear and valves to break. waiting for a couple of weeks now for GMs answer...
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Default Hello? GM, Are You There?

Just checking in to see when GM is going to release their statement re the LS7. I am sure that even as a recently bankrupt corporation and still a very financially weak one, that at least some of the outstanding $30 or so billion of taxpayer funding was diverted to buying the best lawyers and accountants.

Sooo, after having a several year history of questions re the LS7 valvetrain, and after learning supposedly several days ago that we will hear something "soon," the sounds of silence are deafening.

Tick, tock.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:57 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Just checking in to see when GM is going to release their statement re the LS7. I am sure that even as a recently bankrupt corporation and still a very financially weak one, that at least some of the outstanding $30 or so billion of taxpayer funding was diverted to buying the best lawyers and accountants.

Sooo, after having a several year history of questions re the LS7 valvetrain, and after learning supposedly several days ago that we will hear something "soon," the sounds of silence are deafening.

Tick, tock.
I think we all of course are anxious, we all understand GM is a massive corporation globally. I am sure we here would all like to think We are the priority, but with a corporation that size they have much bigger fish to fry..
I mean Stock Price, Labor Unions, Finance, lawsuits, I mean look at the VOLT LOL, according to reports they continue to loose lots of money on it.. etc etc the list goes on... based on what Mike (OP) posted here, we don't know where GM was in the process of releasing a statement... he was kind enough to tip us off that something is coming, but who knows, maybe when he found out they were just starting to draft it , and its still being worked on.

The implications on what they say are HUGE, so I can understand it taking time

I am in know way defending them, but if you step back and look at it, it does not surprise me one bit we have not heard anything yet...put it into perspective.

Also while the issue does date back, it has evolved as more motors have blown or been reported...I mean maybe back in 2006, 10 total LS7s blew for various reasons. We don't know at what point either GM got this on their radar, and what level of attention it got. I would assume now it is has traction since we are hearing they might say something.

We are in our little Corvette "bubble" here.

Last edited by FrankTank; 09-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Or... after they read countless threads racked with hate, comntempt and disappointment for GM they canned the whole statement.

I would have...
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Undy
Or... after they read countless threads racked with hate, comntempt and disappointment for GM they canned the whole statement.

I would have...
reasonable possibility I mean when you think about it, most people here are done with GM anyway countless folks it wont matter what they say .. I mean I can see it now..they come out with a statement that says only 09-11 cars are mainly effected and will be covered, and the over all failure rate for all MY is 2-3% even.. people will be trashing GM even more if it does not support their argument and theories. I can guarantee that.

Just look at the disrespect and rudeness some people treat Jason from Katech with when he tries to offer up information..and they are one of the top shops in the country.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankTank
reasonable possibility I mean when you think about it, most people here are done with GM anyway countless folks it wont matter what they say .. I mean I can see it now..they come out with a statement that says only 09-11 cars are mainly effected and will be covered, and the over all failure rate for all MY is 2-3% even.. people will be trashing GM even more if it does not support their argument and theories. I can guarantee that.

Just look at the disrespect and rudeness some people treat Jason from Katech with when he tries to offer up information..and they are one of the top shops in the country.
at best it's gonna be for 09 and up cars...that has already been said...and to be honest I don't think they will touch the valve issue one way or the other....as far as Katech goes the way I see it they get whats comming to them..I spent 5k in 2 months with them just to be called a troll on an open forum just because I disagree with some things said....and with that I'll never buy a thing from them again...and I do alot of builds and tell ever person I work with about it..
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Ofcourse i agree. The last sentence is 100% correct. And sad.

Last edited by DON T.; 09-13-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Why is it the guys who decide to 'fix' their heads feel the need to tell the forum all about just how great it makes them feel...seems to me if it truly was that satisifying there'd be no need to try and convince everyone else to do the same thing. For the record, I'm not trying to convince everyone to not 'fix' their heads, I'm just trying to point out that it might not be necessary and there are certain telltail signs which you can look for.

Cheers, Paul.
^^^^

This has to be one of the best posts on this subject since all of these threads have been created.

At this point even if GM released the number of failures, backed up by documented proof showing how low the failure rate really is, there would still be people on here trying to dispute it and blame somebody else.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

I think we all of course are anxious, we all understand GM is a massive corporation globally. I am sure we here would all like to think We are the priority, but with a corporation that size they have much bigger fish to fry..
I mean Stock Price, Labor Unions, Finance, lawsuits, I mean look at the VOLT LOL, according to reports they continue to loose lots of money on it.. etc etc the list goes on... based on what Mike (OP) posted here, we don't know where GM was in the process of releasing a statement... he was kind enough to tip us off that something is coming, but who knows, maybe when he found out they were just starting to draft it , and its still being worked on.

The implications on what they say are HUGE, so I can understand it taking time

I am in know way defending them, but if you step back and look at it, it does not surprise me one bit we have not heard anything yet...put it into perspective.

Also while the issue does date back, it has evolved as more motors have blown or been reported...I mean maybe back in 2006, 10 total LS7s blew for various reasons. We don't know at what point either GM got this on their radar, and what level of attention it got. I would assume now it is has traction since we are hearing they might say something.

We are in our little Corvette "bubble" here.
Yes, let's add some perspective.

1. First, nothing but respect here for Katech and I am not hurling insults at GM by stating they were bankrupt and are having continuing problems and they are in possession of approx $30 billion of taxpayer money. Now there are some who are more upset and perhaps too harsh. These are just facts.

2. LS7 has been in production since late 2005 and we are now in late 2012 - with 427s still coming off the line in 2013. That's a long time, and it is inconceivable to me that GM does not have very accurate empirical data over several years re LS7 failures. If they can prove they are minimal, then great! If not, they owe customers of some of their most expensive products, THE TRUTH. Will we get it? I am personally doubtful.

3. If GM cannot show enough consideration for their customers to provide us with a satisfactory response which clarifies whether or not there is an unacceptably high failure rate, and if so, what they will do, THEN I do feel vindicated to do my future shopping elsewhere for all my vehicle needs. That is my personal take on it, and my right as a customer to decide.

Honestly, after all of these years, does anyone feel it is unreasonable for customers to expect some response to their concerns? Don't you think if GM's internal data clearly showed that we are concerned over just a very, very minor incidence (under 1%) of LS7 valvetrain failure NOT caused by owner mods or negligence, that they would have been happy to share that with us? Given their marketplace woes, it would seem a matter of common sense to quickly share good news.

Well, my Dad always said that the least common element in these universe was common sense.

I dunno, but me personnally, I am growing weary of people and corporations doing whatever they can to avoid taking responsibility.

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
^^^^

This has to be one of the best posts on this subject since all of these threads have been created.

At this point even if GM released the number of failures, backed up by documented proof showing how low the failure rate really is, there would still be people on here trying to dispute it and blame somebody else.
minds are already made up. IMO Done deal. There are a few people (like myself) who are still not 100% decided on which direction to take, but the rest have either sent heads to WCCH, parked their cars or sold the car. The remainder have warranty and while concerned feel pretty safe.

Yes, let's add some perspective.

1. First, nothing but respect here for Katech and I am not hurling insults at GM by stating they were bankrupt and are having continuing problems and they are in possession of approx $30 billion of taxpayer money. Now there are some who are more upset and perhaps too harsh. These are just facts.

2. LS7 has been in production since late 2005 and we are now in late 2012 - with 427s still coming off the line in 2013. That's a long time, and it is inconceivable to me that GM does not have very accurate empirical data over several years re LS7 failures. If they can prove they are minimal, then great! If not, they owe customers of some of their most expensive products, THE TRUTH. Will we get it? I am personally doubtful.

3. If GM cannot show enough consideration for their customers to provide us with a satisfactory response which clarifies whether or not there is an unacceptably high failure rate, and if so, what they will do, THEN I do feel vindicated to do my future shopping elsewhere for all my vehicle needs. That is my personal take on it, and my right as a customer to decide.

Honestly, after all of these years, does anyone feel it is unreasonable for customers to expect some response to their concerns? Don't you think if GM's internal data clearly showed that we are concerned over just a very, very minor incidence (under 1%) of LS7 valvetrain failure NOT caused by owner mods or negligence, that they would have been happy to share that with us? Given their marketplace woes, it would seem a matter of common sense to quickly share good news.

Well, my Dad always said that the least common element in these universe was common sense.

I dunno, but me personnally, I am growing weary of people and corporations doing whatever they can to avoid taking responsibility.
I don't disagree, and you make some valid points..I guess I was just trying to say given the size/scope of a company, the financial situation they are in, and still having the Gov own about 25% of the company...its not surprising its taking them a while. Of course Corvettes are important to them, and corvette customers, but there are millions of other GM customers with their concerns too.

My take, they are either waiting for some top exec to approve the communication, or are still struggling with what and how to say what they want, without being on the hook for replacing thousands of engines...or even paying the dealers thousands of hours for labor and diagnostics on engines that may turn out to be fine.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

minds are already made up. IMO Done deal. There are a few people (like myself) who are still not 100% decided on which direction to take, but the rest have either sent heads to WCCH, parked their cars or sold the car. The remainder have warranty and while concerned feel pretty safe.

I don't disagree, and you make some valid points..I guess I was just trying to say given the size/scope of a company, the financial situation they are in, and still having the Gov own about 25% of the company...its not surprising its taking them a while. Of course Corvettes are important to them, and corvette customers, but there are millions of other GM customers with their concerns too.

My take, they are either waiting for some top exec to approve the communication, or are still struggling with what and how to say what they want, without being on the hook for replacing thousands of engines...or even paying the dealers thousands of hours for labor and diagnostics on engines that may turn out to be fine.
I beleive that most here are reasonable, and are just asking for some "corporate transparency." That said, I think it would be completely unreasonable to expect anything like what you stated in your last paragraph.

But, it would go a long way to show they are listening to their customers IF they would do the following:

1. Issue a statement acknowledging they are aware of some customer concerns re the LS7.

2. Stating that they retain full confidence in the engineering and soundness of stock LS7s that are maintained according to GM recommendations. Or, if they don't (very unlikely) stating in detail, the process Z06 owners need to follow to determine if there is concern of IMMINENT problem such as excessive oil use or excessive valve train noise, or visible smoke upon start-up, etc.

3. Issuing some sort of goodwill policy along the lines of warranty extension (time) to owners of cars currently covered under warranty. Issuing a limited warranty to Z06 owners of stock engined cars that are under a certain stated mileage ?????. Perhaps the limited warranty would cover the cost of new replacement parts with the owner responsible for labor. The repairs would be warrantied for ?? months, parts and labor.

I think that besides being fair and reasonable, its damn good customer relations. And we should not have to wait much longer to hear from them...
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

I beleive that most here are reasonable, and are just asking for some "corporate transparency." That said, I think it would be completely unreasonable to expect anything like what you stated in your last paragraph.

But, it would go a long way to show they are listening to their customers IF they would do the following:

1. Issue a statement acknowledging they are aware of some customer concerns re the LS7.

2. Stating that they retain full confidence in the engineering and soundness of stock LS7s that are maintained according to GM recommendations. Or, if they don't (very unlikely) stating in detail, the process Z06 owners need to follow to determine if there is concern of IMMINENT problem such as excessive oil use or excessive valve train noise, or visible smoke upon start-up, etc.

3. Issuing some sort of goodwill policy along the lines of warranty extension (time) to owners of cars currently covered under warranty. Issuing a limited warranty to Z06 owners of stock engined cars that are under a certain stated mileage ?????. Perhaps the limited warranty would cover the cost of new replacement parts with the owner responsible for labor. The repairs would be warrantied for ?? months, parts and labor.

I think that besides being fair and reasonable, its damn good customer relations. And we should not have to wait much longer to hear from them...
I'm not saying they shouldn't help us out or look out for their customers, all I'm saying it's going to take longer than most think. I'm just trying to prepare folks that are wishful thinking , I doubt GM is going to do any of what you suggest .. I hope Im wrong , we shall see

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed