Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you get that in writing?

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
He's real GM didn't fix my car or anything but he made all my appointments and was treated really good at the dealer. Again they didn't fix anything just told me drive it if it breaks we will fix it.
Hope you got that in writing from GM and the dealer. I've had dealers assure me of similar promises only to find when I went back, "Who did you talk with last time, sorry we don't do that here"
B
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,037 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by RFE-57
Hope you got that in writing from GM and the dealer. I've had dealers assure me of similar promises only to find when I went back, "Who did you talk with last time, sorry we don't do that here"
B
Yes I did get it all in writing

BTW I just saw Evan replay today on the C6 section on a thread about warranty
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

is his email still valid?

I have a 2008 Z06 -- only 22K miles on the clock, with a warranty expiring in april of 2013. I'd like to talk to him and see what can be looked at now instead of later.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
is his email still valid?

I have a 2008 Z06 -- only 22K miles on the clock, with a warranty expiring in april of 2013. I'd like to talk to him and see what can be looked at now instead of later.
I to have a 2008 Z06 with 9k miles. I sent a email to Evan who was off at the time and Tricia who took his place informed me that she would be sending me a claim number and to take it to the dealer in which I did . They listened to the valve train noise and said all is normal but to drop back by in May just before my warranty expires. She did send me my claim number in which I informed the dealer. I hope its just not wishful thinking. !!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oskee
I to have a 2008 Z06 with 9k miles. I sent a email to Evan who was off at the time and Tricia who took his place informed me that she would be sending me a claim number and to take it to the dealer in which I did . They listened to the valve train noise and said all is normal [...]
Normally I'd hesitate to be rude but that is beyond stupid (on the part of the dealer).

Of course GM is not going to tear down and inspect every Z06 cylinder head that is driven up to their door (although they should).

My conclusion is that the owner has to verify the problem (out of spec valve guides) on their own, then take it to the dealer and agree to pay for an inspection with the understanding that if the dealer finds the guides bad then the cost of the inspection and the repairs is on GM's dime. That is what I intend to do.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Normally I'd hesitate to be rude but that is beyond stupid (on the part of the dealer).

Of course GM is not going to tear down and inspect every Z06 cylinder head that is driven up to their door (although they should).

My conclusion is that the owner has to verify the problem (out of spec valve guides) on their own, then take it to the dealer and agree to pay for an inspection with the understanding that if the dealer finds the guides bad then the cost of the inspection and the repairs is on GM's dime. That is what I intend to do.
I don't agree. My dealer listened to mine when I brought it in for them to listen to the tapping noise. They diagnosed and determined there was a problem and took care of it under warranty.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I don't agree. My dealer listened to mine when I brought it in for them to listen to the tapping noise. They diagnosed and determined there was a problem and took care of it under warranty.
You can't hear bad valve guides.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
What did they do to fix the problem?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 AM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Seeing as how my warranty is out in april -- I emailed Evan, and hope to hear something back.

Im happy yet sad that I'll only have about 4 months of "worry free driving" before my 5 year warranty expires and if something pops or explodes it's on my dime.

Flat truth is that if my 2008 Z06 did explode, I would be forced to sell the shell as I do not have 15K sitting around for any sort of repair. (sucks but just the truth)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 AM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by gatti-man
You can't hear bad valve guides.
All I can say to that statement is that you have been misinformed.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
What did they do to fix the problem?
Replaced the valves, springs, head and lifters. The entire valve assembly on the right side of the engine.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If somebody buys their Corvette just to use it as a regular driver, that's one thing. But if you buy the car as more of a 'collector' a 3-yr warranty is of little matter then - instead you are counting on the quality and reliability of the car - as you may be planning to keep the car 10, 15 or more years. Such is the case with with 427 Convertible. The 60th Anniversary Edition. Last of the 427s, etc. And GM totally plays this up in marketing the car. And the factory extended production into February precisely because demand for the 427 was so strong - lots of folks jumping on this (get one of the last great Corvettes, etc.) And then the 'fine print' ...enjoy it for 3 years, but we cant really say it will be reliable after that...

And even if we're talking more about a Z06, and less about being a collector, what happens to your resale value regardless of your personal experience? Two years from now, who's wanting to buy a car with an LS7 if there's a lingering reputation that GM never stepped up to clarify or resolve? That's not fair to anyone who owns an LS7.

GM needs to step up here, clarify, respond completely, and stand behind this car that is marketed with such high promises (for $80K+)...
Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
If somebody buys their Corvette just to use it as a regular driver, that's one thing. But if you buy the car as more of a 'collector' a 3-yr warranty is of little matter then - instead you are counting on the quality and reliability of the car - as you may be planning to keep the car 10, 15 or more years. Such is the case with with 427 Convertible. The 60th Anniversary Edition. Last of the 427s, etc. And GM totally plays this up in marketing the car. And the factory extended production into February precisely because demand for the 427 was so strong - lots of folks jumping on this (get one of the last great Corvettes, etc.) And then the 'fine print' ...enjoy it for 3 years, but we cant really say it will be reliable after that...

And even if we're talking more about a Z06, and less about being a collector, what happens to your resale value regardless of your personal experience? Two years from now, who's wanting to buy a car with an LS7 if there's a lingering reputation that GM never stepped up to clarify or resolve? That's not fair to anyone who owns an LS7.

GM needs to step up here, clarify, respond completely, and stand behind this car that is marketed with such high promises (for $80K+)...
Yup - if you own an LS7 (as I do) you can't help but feel, even in a small way, you are getting the shaft. In 2008 I plopped down a LOT of money for one of these beasts because it was the absolute best GM offered. To be ignored is a huge turn off. Even if it is just a "tiny" percentage, we are still left with no details and it's not fair to think every time I drive my car it could be the last time due to them not specifying a vin range, or anything useful.

Again, love love my Z06 -- but I don't have 15K for a rebuild. Warranty expires in April 2013. And unless GM magically starts talking or offering solutions I can easily say I wouldn't even consider getting a C7 or any other GM product if halo car owners are left out in the cold just so the exec's can get their bonus this year. I'd be happy if GM simply said "for any Ls7's that specifically have a valve drop, we are going to stand behind the product past the 5 year mark. (seriously i have 22k miles on my 08 so that seems pretty fair)

I'm fine with them not covering ANYTHING else on the car, but for an issue like this that turns your motor into a bomb... yeah I'd like a little reassurance.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Maybe you can hear bad valve geometry too.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
The problem with an after market set of heads is:
1) Will they warrantee their heads for 5 years/100,000 miles?
2) If you blow your engine, who's fault is it? GMs or the after market heads. Both will blame the other.
3) Maybe your whole drive train warrantee is invalidated because you changed part of it.
If your out of warrantee then none of the above applies.
number 3.....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Amazing we get a internet customer service guy from GM who can't give us any information on a real cause of the issue's with the LS7. However over on the LS1Tech.com there is supposedly an engineer in the power train division posting daily to questions about the new LT1 and he answers questions about the previous LS* engines.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-block-17.html
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The LS7 head assemblies come from Linamar Performance Center in Guelph. Ask for the QA Manager or Engineering Manager.

Linamar Performance Center
30 Minto Rd
Guelph, Ontario
N1K 1H5
Phone 519-822-4068

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Amazing we get a internet customer service guy from GM who can't give us any information on a real cause of the issue's with the LS7. However over on the LS1Tech.com there is supposedly an engineer in the power train division posting daily to questions about the new LT1 and he answers questions about the previous LS* engines.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-block-17.html
I agree I have been following his posts for the last few days...this is quite the statement to make considering what you see and here on this forum on a day to day basis...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-block-20.html

3. With GM allowing/asking you post on this forum, why hasn't GM posted on the corvetteforum regarding the LS7 dropped valve issue? Having read ALL your posts you make it very clear a GM STOCK LS7 will not drop a valve. Seems the issue has gotten out of hand over there. Just a thought...

1.There is no dropping valve issue with in the LS7, or the LS7 would have been recalled. I've covered this within this thread before I'll say it again. Metal is not bias for GM OR THE CUSTOMER...Metal tells a story just like any other accident (plane crash, car crash, etc) Experts or the engineers that designed the plane or car etc are called in to figure out the cause and effect of the accident. A stock LS7 will ONLY drop a valve during "down shift/over revving" to 8125 RPM's this is beyond the computer capability and beyond the valve springs specs. The Valve will throw in the towel and let go. 2. A LS7 will drop a valve if "POORLY DESIGNED CHEAP HEADERS" are applied which causes higher EGT -200.00f or +200.00'F over 1300'f degrees. Combined this with AFR TUNED that hasn't combined EGT tuning. Yes the VALVE will deformed .003 due to heat stress and fatigue, it's going to throw in the towel. GM cannot and will not cover this aftermarket modification. WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THIS. We know what the damage looks like there is tell tell signs all over the engine. There is no problem with the LS7 in OEM form. When a person goes into modifications that person is own his own, make all recommended changes by that parts supplier and the installer.

Once again if there was a problem with the LS7 engine it would have recalled. There is NOT a problem with the LS7 engine. There is NO design issue with the LS7 HEADS. GM admitting there was a defect from the supplier. Which was corrected, and all 33 effected engines that dropped the valve due to this were replaced. And once again after receiving the engine with drop valves, of course it is inspected to determine the causes, a machining defect from the supplier was determined. This has nothing to do with the engineering a design. This is NOT A DESIGN FLAW in the LS7 layout. And yes a LS7 engine will drop a valve from excessive heated attributed by "poor designed headers" and "down shifting." We know what details and clues to look for which this happens.
The fox in the hen house, gives the flock anxiety and shock. This is nothing more than culminating anxiety among many that the situation with the valves letting go on all LS7 engines. Which is purely untrue,this is why engines have a warranty. When defects occur they can be replaced.

Bigg Gunz

Last edited by JetBlue427; 12-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

http://ls1tech.com/forums/16968551-post395.html

Once again if there was a problem with the LS7 engine it would have recalled. There is NOT a problem with the LS7 engine. There is NO design issue with the LS7 HEADS. GM admitting there was a defect from the supplier. Which was corrected, and all 33 effected engines that dropped the valve due to this were replaced. And once again after receiving the engine with drop valves, of course it is inspected to determine the causes, a machining defect from the supplier was determined. This has nothing to do with the engineering a design. This is NOT A DESIGN FLAW in the LS7 layout. And yes a LS7 engine will drop a valve from excessive heated attributed by "poor designed headers" and "down shifting." We know what details and clues to look for which this happens.

The fox in the hen house, gives the flock anxiety and shock. This is nothing more than culminating anxiety among many that the situation with the valves letting go on all LS7 engines. Which is purely untrue,this is why engines have a warranty. When defects occur they can be replaced.

Bigg Gunz

The person above is representing himself as working at GM Combustion Engineering. Once again if he can post about the LT1 engine on LS1Tech, why can we not get someone with a clear engineering background to answer the questions from GM?

Does anyone really believe only 33 LS7's were affected by this problem on a 2 engine build?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
http://ls1tech.com/forums/16968551-post395.html

Bigg Gunz

The person above is representing himself as working at GM Combustion Engineering. Once again if he can post about the LT1 engine on LS1Tech, why can we not get someone with a clear engineering background to answer the questions from GM?

Does anyone really believe only 33 LS7's were affected by this problem on a 2 engine build?
Only 33 were replaced. That means GM only claimed 33 and found a loop hole on all the rest. Modified, didn't change oil, belt was cracked, had a rock chip in the hood, glass wasn't cleaned with proper cleaner, etc. I believe it could have been a supplier issue but don't believe it was only 33.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed