Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, on the LS3 it is actually the intake valves that are hollow stem. The exhaust valves are solid stem.

Last edited by Rock36; 10-03-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 AM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad, guess I was mistaken after all!

But I'm pretty sure LS3 does not have titanium intake valves, only hollow stem stainless. Or am I mistaken on that as well?

I saw it on that TV show about the different generations of small blocks, where they had an original 350, and LS1 and LS3. They claimed the LS3 had sodium valves to aid heat transfer. I was surprised to be honest, turns out it's wrong after all.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

The LS3 does not use titanium intake valves. They are hollow stainless steel.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Yeah you're right, the intake valves are not titanium. Getting my engines crossed.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 AM
torqjunkie
Advanced

Originally Posted by oicw
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the LS3 use sodium fill exhaust valves as well?

So it seems that the valve may not be the cause... Katech seems to support the theory, which is the excessive guide wear being the problem, not so much the valves.
Well considering some cars has failed as early as 5000 miles that are completely stock and others at 20 to 30 k that are cammed and tuned is the problem that has left us all chasing our tails. How can it be a Guide Wear Issue at 5k on a bone stock car? I am starting to wonder if it is not an overev / missed gear problem. I have seen several yella terras broken on LS3's from this so on the LS7 it just goes to the next weakest point. Just a thought. Either way I bought a set of Brodix heads from Richard at WCCH just to be safe. Talking with him he seems 100% sure the valve / guide is the issue. He told me directly that they are simply too thin to take any kind of abuse.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by torqjunkie
Well considering some cars has failed as early as 5000 miles that are completely stock and others at 20 to 30 k that are cammed and tuned is the problem that has left us all chasing our tails. How can it be a Guide Wear Issue at 5k on a bone stock car? I am starting to wonder if it is not an overev / missed gear problem. I have seen several yella terras broken on LS3's from this so on the LS7 it just goes to the next weakest point. Just a thought. Either way I bought a set of Brodix heads from Richard at WCCH just to be safe. Talking with him he seems 100% sure the valve / guide is the issue. He told me directly that they are simply too thin to take any kind of abuse.
Could be a QC issue with some of the valves themselves.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 586 Posts

Information I've received says that a lot of guides/seats are delivered already out of spec or near out of spec from the Vendor in Canada that makes the heads.

Remember, to machine the valve seat requires utilizing the head's guides for the seat cutting tool. If the guide is already out of spec then the valve seat will be cut out of spec, losing concentricity with the valve. As the valve repeatedly impacts on a non-concentric cut seat with a loose guide it fatigues over a period of time as the valve hits the seat at odd angles. Then... Viola, the head snaps off.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
Information I've received says that a lot of guides/seats are delivered already out of spec or near out of spec from the Vendor in Canada that makes the heads.

Remember, to machine the valve seat requires utilizing the head's guides for the seat cutting tool. If the guide is already out of spec then the valve seat will be cut out of spec, losing concentricity with the valve. As the valve repeatedly impacts on a non-concentric cut seat with a loose guide it fatigues over a period of time as the valve hits the seat at odd angles. Then... Viola, the head snaps off.
Interesting theory.

The latest information that I got centers around the valves themselves and "differences" in them.

So it could be both the valves and the guides, or it could be the valves or the guides. That's why I got rid of both.

But your theory above on the mass produced stock heads, I have heard elsewhere as well. It seems tp make sense, and I feel a lot more comfortable after having the work done on my heads

I agree, that it's not just guide wear, or bettter put, not consistently guide wear that might be at the root of this matter. The potential for poorly crafted parts like the valves as well as the guides, exist.

The inconsistent wall thickness of the hollow stemmed valves is probably playing a role as well, as well as the consistency or lack thereof, of the weld.

That was described here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581414149

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581427075

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581422693

The valves when they fail, often times fail at or near the weld.

Look at the pictures of the failure in this last 2009. At this time, I am waiting to hear more information about these welds, and the part number change and how the two may be related.

But the point is, it's not just valve guide wear.

I'm beginning to wonder if there were not QC issues with some of the valves themselves, and not just the guides.

I certainly don't know the answer, in fact this whole matter leaves more questions than it does answers. But like any other concerned owner, and Z06 enthusiast, I would wonder about the two areas which are being heavily discussed. The guides, and the valves.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM
torqjunkie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Undy

Makes sense. Bottom line is I guess we will never know for sure as the 427's are already out of production. But we do know a fix. If the car is out of warranty or modded, make the fix

Last edited by torqjunkie; 10-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Interesting theory.

The latest information that I got centers around the valves themselves and "differences" in them.

So it could be both the valves and the guides, or it could be the valves or the guides. That's why I got rid of both.

But your theory above on the mass produced stock heads, I have heard elsewhere as well. It seems tp make sense, and I feel a lot more comfortable after having the work done on my heads

I agree, that it's not just guide wear, or bettter put, not consistently guide wear that might be at the root of this matter. The potential for poorly crafted parts like the valves as well as the guides, exist.

The inconsistent wall thickness of the hollow stemmed valves is probably playing a role as well, as well as the consistency or lack thereof, of the weld.

That was described here:

Look at the pictures of the failure in this last 2009. At this time, I am waiting to hear more information about these welds, and the part number change and how the two may be related.

I'm beginning to wonder if there were not QC issues with some of the valves themselves, and not just the guides.

I certainly don't know the answer, in fact this whole matter leaves more questions than it does answers. But like any other concerned owner, and Z06 enthusiast, I would wonder about the two areas which are being heavily discussed. The guides, and the valves.

Just because they fail at or near the weld doesn't mean its the valve problem. Sure its the weak point on the valve but thats like saying if you get punched in the face and your nose shatters causing you to lose the fight its a nose problem. No, I think it was the punch to the face. If you blocked that punch your nose wouldn't be broken.

The guides are the problem. I think you could safely run the sodium filled no problem as long as the guides are in spec. The effect on the exhaust valve is from the guides being out of spec causing heat problems and or vibration and chatter. If the guides were in spec the issue would be negated and the sodium filled valve wouldn't have any problems and be operating outside of its spec. Its used in many other applications without issue.

I would personally rather stick to what the engine was designed to run. Taking an extra step is more like an insurance policy. To each their own though. If it makes you sleep better than it was worth it.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
torqjunkie
Advanced

Check out the 2:30 mark in the vid. Yes it is relative to the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9JOg...feature=colike
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by torqjunkie
Check out the 2:30 mark in the vid. Yes it is relative to the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9JOg...feature=colike

Check the sticky above. I posted the same link yesterday and the time! Great minds think alike.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Interesting theory.

That was described here:

Your statement about the valve guides being an issue is interesting to me. I see quite a bit of people opting for the bronze valve guides and for someone like myself who is a amateur to all of this, I've had a hard time understanding the benefit. Meaning, when I speak to vendor "X" they say leave the guides alone, swap the valves. Vendor "Y" says, absolutely swap out the guides with bronze. I know its like anything else we buy in life, one opinion differs over another.

I could be added to this list or will be in the next 2-3 weeks. I decided to go with Jeremy Formoto at Fasterproms because of his reputation as a tuner and the fact that he lives 11 miles from me. He is going to do a fully ported head job, stainless valves, new stock valve guides, cam, headers w/hi flow cats, comp dual springs, titanium retainers, etc..

One of the parts I asked him about was the bronze valve guides. While he said he could install them, he recommended just using new OEM guides as he does in his builds.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Check the sticky above. I posted the same link yesterday and the time! Great minds think alike.
Fiat probably has a better supplier in Europe!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 AM
quicked
Advanced

from my experience with my 07 zo6 purchased new,DONT DRIVE after camkit install with those hollow exhaust valves in heads,,,my ls7 lasted under 2 months and 400 miles after cam install and a few track runs before valve dropped and piston-cylinder came apart... so beware!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by quicked
from my experience with my 07 zo6 purchased new,DONT DRIVE after camkit install with those hollow exhaust valves in heads,,,my ls7 lasted under 2 months and 400 miles after cam install and a few track runs before valve dropped and piston-cylinder came apart... so beware!
That's unfortunate. Seems if you have a non stock cam running stock valvetrain, you're destined for failure.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little late to respond.

I had lots of blue smoke when my engine would come down from high revs after about 22 track days. Sent the car to ECS and found both heads were shot except for the Ti valves.

-Replace 16x valve guides with bronze guides, valve job
-New vavlespring set
-APR head studs
-Mill and bead blast
-New plugs
-Stainless Steel valves
-New Valve seats
-New 02 sensors

Approx $2500 for repair, car had 16k miles went it, and now has about 19k. So far so good.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
nupsi
Intermediate

I have just received my new brodix heads from WCCH. They have solid stainless valves in them. I did this for peace of mind on my 07 Z06. I will install them in the spring when I get the car out of storage. I am still trying to figure out which cam to use.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM
gsxrbb
Racer

Originally Posted by LFZ
That's unfortunate. Seems if you have a non stock cam running stock valvetrain, you're destined for failure.
Not always...

I know of a BIG cam'd car with stock heads w/ 50k total miles and has been cam'd for 10k with no problems (yet)...and he drives the **** out of it.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking into upgrading the stock valves and guides but the builder I want to use says that solid valves aren't ideal for a high reving engine like the ls7. He recommends sodium filled valves because they are a little lighter. Anyone running sodium filled valves other than the OEM? opinions?

Last edited by logan1080; 11-15-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?