Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 400 mile LS7 getting new heads (due to bad valve guides)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Default 400 mile LS7 getting new heads (due to bad valve guides)

Edit: Motor was a SEP12 build, well after the Feb11 100% inspection of all LS7 heads.

Previous post about my blown LS7:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...30k-miles.html

Dropped the car of at the dealer yesterday to get a "Service Active Handling", "Service Traction Control" and Check engine light diagnosed on my brand new 400 mile replacement LS7.

When I dropped it off, Mark (my service tech that installed the new motor) hooked up the TECH2 device and it showed that I was getting a misfire on #5 cylinder when rpm exceeded 2000 rpm, #8 cylinder was also showing misfire (just not as often). Mark said that misfires can cause the TC and AH to malfunction and he would check it out. BTW, the misfires were imperceptable to me.

Well, he just called. Seem that my 400 mile LS7 has excessive valve guide wear. #5 intake was at .007 when measured using the (apparently GM approved) technique of measuring the valve stem tip movement with the valve spring removed.

Mark said he borrowed a borescope from another tech so he could observe the valve from inside the cylinder as it contacted the valve seat. He observed that the valve was centering as it contacted the valve seat (he was manually moving the valve stem in/out from the top of the head). This means that when the guides have excessive wear, the valves are not contacting the valve seat the way the engineers designed them. I highly doubt hollow stem valves are designed to last 100K miles when they are slamming into the valve guide on off center and then get pushed to the center of the valve seat.

Anyway, new heads (both L & R, less valves, springs, retainers) inbound from Michigan, be here next week.....

Asked Mark (my service tech) to thoroughly check the guides for proper clearance prior to re-assembly as GM's 100% inspection of all LS7s since Feburary 2011 (see sticky - GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed) is now highly suspect in my opinion. I'm just glad Mark will have to assemble the heads, so someone I trust will be checking for proper guide clearance. The Wixom suppliers/inspectors probably need a drug test.

Anyway, WTF GM and GO GM cuz it's still under warranty, but Damn.

For everyone else that thinks the LS7 is perfect as delivered, please get out your wallet and get your heads checked. Consider it a one time $450 insurance payment to potentially save you $15,000.

Let the "Sky is falling", "No it's not, my child (Z06) can do no wrong" bickering commence.... can't we all just get along

BTW, love my Z. But that newer younger C7 is looking kinda sexy.

Last edited by CGZO6; 11-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

WTF....I feel bad for you.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so much for the 100% inspection test they did on heads after 2011!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CGZO6

Dropped the car of at the dealer yesterday to get a "Service Active Handling", "Service Traction Control" and Check engine light diagnosed on my brand new 400 mile replacement LS7.

When I dropped it off, Mark (my service tech that installed the new motor) hooked up the TECH2 device and it showed that I was getting a misfire on #5 cylinder when rpm exceeded 2000 rpm, #8 cylinder was also showing misfire (just not as often). Mark said that misfires can cause the TC and AH to malfunction and he would check it out. BTW, the misfires were imperceptable to me.

Well, he just called. Seem that my 400 mile LS7 has excessive valve guide wear. #5 intake was at .007 when measured using the (apparently GM approved) technique of measuring the valve stem tip movement with the valve spring removed.

Mark said he borrowed a borescope from another tech so he could observe the valve from inside the cylinder as it contacted the valve seat. He observed that the valve was centering as it contacted the valve seat (he was manually moving the valve stem in/out from the top of the head). This means that when the guides have excessive wear, the valves are not contacting the valve seat the way the engineers designed them. I highly doubt hollow stem valves are designed to last 100K miles when they are slamming into the valve guide on off center and then get pushed to the center of the valve seat.

Anyway, new heads (both L & R, less valves, springs, retainers) inbound from Michigan, be here next week.....

Asked Mark (my service tech) to thoroughly check the guides for proper clearance prior to re-assembly as GM's 100% inspection of all LS7s since Feburary 2011 (see sticky - GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed) is now highly suspect in my opinion. I'm just glad Mark will have to assemble the heads, so someone I trust will be checking for proper guide clearance. The Wixom suppliers/inspectors probably need a drug test.

For everyone else that thinks the LS7 is perfect as delivered, please get out your wallet and get your heads checked. Consider it a one time $450 insurance payment to potentially save you $15,000.

Let the "Sky is falling", "No it's not, my child (Z06) can do no wrong" bickering commence.... can't we all just get along

Holy $#!*. You have GOT to be kidding me.

Not trying to "convince" anyone here, but the dough I spent on my heads looks like a better investment with the passing of each day, and I don't even believe that a month has gone by yet, but I can tell you what, after stories like this one and this one, since I have had them done, I have no regrets at this point.

"Go GM" ????? ...... I can see; "Wake up, GM".

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-24-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

This is crazy. How can GM be so lax in their QC?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Just WOW! I'm not even sure what to say at this point. Thanks for putting this out for all of us to see.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:56 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

So you paid $450 to get your car diagnosed?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

let's all paraphrase together now: "...the problem is only limited to certain 2008--2011 LS7 engines, and has been fixed, and 100% of all suspect engines were inspected..."

Any further questions ?

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 10-24-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: correction
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Bill in another thread said it was $850. Did they tell you its only $450 at this dealership?

Looks like you are in good hands and that GM is backing their warranty as they should

sorry for this ..............

GO GM !!!!

DH
JetBlue427
Racer

Originally Posted by gatti-man
This is crazy. How can GM be so lax in their QC?
since there built by another company...they would of had to disassemble them to do a QC check after they were recieved. Hopefully that business looses the contract on any further work with GM
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
since there built by another company...they would of had to disassemble them to do a QC check after they were recieved. Hopefully that business looses the contract on any further work with GM
GM said they check the guides 100% after feb 2011. Or are we just saying anything GM says at this point is a lie?

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Bill in another thread said it was $850. Did they tell you its only $450 at this dealership?

Looks like you are in good hands and that GM is backing their warranty as they should

GO GM !!!!

DH
I can't tell if you are joking or serious anymore.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
"Go GM" ????? ...... I can see; "Wake up, GM".
Shameless plug for Dirtie Howie
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

GO GM !!!!

DH
i was quoted 14 hours plus parts and supplies...so where is this shop that only charges $25 bucks/hr lol
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
GM said they check the guides 100% after feb 2011. Or are we just saying anything GM says at this point is a lie?

I can't tell if you are joking or serious anymore.
I'm serious

You will know when I'm not !!

DH
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
So you paid $450 to get your car diagnosed?
No, I did not. Motor is a brand new, 400 miles on it, LS7 warranty replacement. See carnage of first engine in link at post #1.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How can this happen in 400 miles?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

I'm serious

You will know when I'm not !!

DH
Then you seriously need to wake up. GM isn't doing right by owners. They essentially gave this guy a time bomb as new. What if he doesn't drive it and it fails out of warranty like others? Or mods it and falls victim to this manufacturing fault and GM doesn't cover it. This isn't right and GM is legally obligated to check every engine. I will start saying go GM when they issue a TSB for all owners and take care of their responsibilities.
The following users liked this post:
gtxmex (06-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 400 mile LS7 getting new heads (due to bad valve guides)

Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
How can this happen in 400 miles?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

had to be out of spec when delivered to Wixom by the supplier--the heads arrive fully assembled.

Similar issue recently reported in the ZR1 section: "LS9 valve guide wear" thread...
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

To avoid confusion:
My tech did NOT have to remove the heads to check for excessive valve guide wear. He used the (apparently GM approved) method of removing valve covers and valve springs, then checking how much the valve stem tip will move (radial play - Left/Right, Up/Down as your looking directly at the valve stem tip).

He told the GM advisor that #5 intake had .007 of play.
.002 is the max leaving the factory, .005 is beyond the service limit.

EDIT: He did not use the Super Duper Finger Wiggle method, he used a Micrometer to properly measure the movement.

Tech told advisor that #8 was misfiring as well.
Advisor said replace both heads.

All under warranty.

Last edited by CGZO6; 10-24-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 400 mile LS7 getting new heads (due to bad valve guides)