Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] •• Guide & TIR Measurements - New LS7 Heads••

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 AM
1981turbota
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ there is also no discernible taper with the bronze guides as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Very Interesting..... How did all the valve stems check?? Were any undersized??? Will you be cutting any of the exhaust valves open to check wall thickness and the drilling of the valve stem for being centered??

Thanks for the info.....

Mark
Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 08VRZ06
Very Interesting..... How did all the valve stems check?? Were any undersized??? Will you be cutting any of the exhaust valves open to check wall thickness and the drilling of the valve stem for being centered??

Thanks for the info.....

Mark

That was my next question. We know/conjecture/assume it's guides but what if it's guides and valves?
This (albeit generic) link mentions the top two reasons for failure:
(1) mechanical / thermal over stress
(2) Valve defect (1 in 5 failures)

So mechanical overstress would be - worn (or mis-machined) guides (or seats)
Thermal overstress would be - bad tune(or is it the ethanol in fuel???) or M1 not doing it's job
Valve defect could be machining error or metal defect.

EDIT: I found this interesting, though I can't verify the source:
wikipedia LS Engine article
"A 3-valve per cylinder design was originally slated for the LS7" ...but was shelved due to complexity and the ability of the LS7 to meet it's goals with two valves.

Was it designed to have two exhaust valves and then later "re-designed" in the name of saving money?

Last edited by jedblanks; 10-30-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08VRZ06

Thanks for the info.....

Mark
Valve stems were dimensionally perfect, at least with as measured with .0001 micrometer.

All the valves had small nicks below the valve lock area - see this on most of these - has to be done during assembly

Won't cut these valves -they are brand new - but I'll section one of those I have replaced.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
Valve stems were dimensionally perfect, at least with as measured with .0001 micrometer.

All the valves had small nicks below the valve lock area - see this on most of these - has to be done during assembly

Won't cut these valves -they are brand new - but I'll section one of those I have replaced.
Thanks.... I asked cause someone else cut some exhaust valves open and found that the holes were not drilled on center and the stem walls were very thin. Thats good to hear that the outside dimensions are good!! Could the nicks contribute to stress fracturing of the valve head?

Mark

Last edited by 08VRZ06; 10-30-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM
track junkie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
The seat TIR is not by any means horrible on these - it's just that I've seen many, many GM heads under this and was surprised.

Please bear in mind that TIR on the seat has several components that make the reading all the more difficult to repeat the measurements

(1) pilot guide condition -(a) how tight to the gage (b) how square to to indicator
(2) gage needle condition
(3) operator

For me, I like to have no more than .002 and typically measure .0015 - but in some cases we can also exceed .002.
The GM Engine Mechanical Service Information shows a maximum for valve seat runout of "0.002 in (Maximum)."

If your TIR readings are correct, both of the new heads you measured don't meet GM specifications on three of the eight exhaust valves for valve seat runout.

Last edited by track junkie; 10-31-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for you expertise, and the data you have provided. Much appreciated...

Last edited by LT5 John; 11-01-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Charlie. For your research and the great set of heads in my engine that went through your shop.

Quick Reply: [Z06] •• Guide & TIR Measurements - New LS7 Heads••