Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam opinions - LXL lobes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM
COVERT GUY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
How about this one?

That is one helluva graph, torque for daaays....
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000FRCZ19
stock intake or fast?
Stock ported intake and throttle body. But bear in mind that the heads are shaved .030 (~11.8:1 compression ratio) and ported. There may be a Fast intake in my future, but I spin the tires all over the place in first gear already, so I'm not in any hurry to add more power.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7nte-7S0M

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 12-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

that's the same set up I am running comp and intake. I have the same issues with traction in first even if I roll into it, it still wants to bust loose above 4000 rpms if I am not careful. on cooler days second can be an issue as well. I can't imagine how the blown guys get power to the ground effectively with the tq they put out.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
I too have spoken with Geoff on several occasions an he recommended the LXL lobes, they are designed for the 1.8 rocker with a soft seat landing.
I find that very curious. I'd bothered the **** out of Geoff over the pass year, and he never mentioned LXL lobes to me. The custom grind I bought from him uses his lobe on both IN/EX. His lobe does exactly what you just wrote that the LXL does... Why on earth would he recommend an off the shelf Comp lobe when has his own proprietary lobe???

Nevermind, I'll give him a holler and find out myself.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I find that very curious. I'd bothered the **** out of Geoff over the pass year, and he never mentioned LXL lobes to me. The custom grind I bought from him uses his lobe on both IN/EX. His lobe does exactly what you just wrote that the LXL does... Why on earth would he recommend an off the shelf Comp lobe when has his own proprietary lobe???

Nevermind, I'll give him a holler and find out myself.
They are different lobes. The EPS has a faster ramp rate and less lift for a given duration.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Did I say they were not?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

From what I understood they were very similar to his lobes, but not quite as fast on the ramp, the LXL was a little slower opening and closing than his lobes. I stressed to him about designing a very mild cam with excellent street manners and low valve train stress and stability. Patrick G also designs a lot of cams now with the LXL lobes. They are specifically designed for the 1.8 rocker by comp.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 AM
COVERT GUY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I should know how this 230/242 cam does by the end of today. I have a Airaid CAI, & Kook's 1 7/8" headers for bolt-ons. I will report dyno results later today, wish me luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by vertC6
From what I understood they were very similar to his lobes, but not quite as fast on the ramp, the LXL was a little slower opening and closing than his lobes. I stressed to him about designing a very mild cam with excellent street manners and low valve train stress and stability. Patrick G also designs a lot of cams now with the LXL lobes. They are specifically designed for the 1.8 rocker by comp.
Pat G. just speced me out a cam for my new build. Running an eforce and 1.82 comp rockers. He speced XE lobes for it, saying they are the most stable with high ratio rockers. Since I am far from an expert on cams, I am going with what he suggests.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

That is correct the XE lobes, aka extreme rpm, are very soft landing lobes and have great valvetrain stability. I am using this lobe on the exhaust and the LXL on the intake. Here is comps description of the LXL lobes

"The LXL series is based off the popular LSL profiles but are optimized with lower acceleration and a softer closing ramp for less valve train noise and better stability with higher (1.8:1+) ratio rocker arms. These profiles are an excellent choice on the exhaust when used with an LSL intake and perform well for both the intake and exhaust when used in either LS7 or other high ratio applications. These also are a great choice for road race type engines that require extended use at high engine speeds."

Here is a good thread on the subject

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...need-help.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam opinions - LXL lobes