Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
All tests are done. We will evaluate the data and see if there is anything else we want to change and re-test.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 AM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All tests are done. We will evaluate the data and see if there is anything else we want to change and re-test.
Really looking forward to the results.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
TFavor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The suspense is killer...

Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TFavor
The suspense is killer...

Although, I'll say right now the next 20 threads of "I told you so" and "but they didn't do _____ with brand _____ parts so ______...." will be almost as bad as the countless valve/guide argument threads already populating the subforum.

Doesn't matter if solid valves prove stable to X,000 RPM or some other variant - I have confidence that there will be no shortage of $hit slinging once the results are posted (no matter what the results say).
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84

- I have confidence that there will be no shortage of $hit slinging once the results are posted (no matter what the results say).
Unfortunately, you are probably right. It will be classic case of "No good deed goes unpunished".
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Although, I'll say right now the next 20 threads of "I told you so" and "but they didn't do _____ with brand _____ parts so ______...." will be almost as bad as the countless valve/guide argument threads already populating the subforum.

Doesn't matter if solid valves prove stable to X,000 RPM or some other variant - I have confidence that there will be no shortage of $hit slinging once the results are posted (no matter what the results say).

I'm pretty sure I already know what will be said and it isn't going to settle the valve debate.

Looking forward to the results, though I'm kind of skeptical about what kind of value they'll be.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, as long as it helps people buy the right parts (for their comfort level) the first time around, regardless of the outcome I think it's going to be a good thing for the community.

I think 95% of the people waiting for this could care less about winning arguments on the internet, and really just want more confidence in "what to do and where to go" for their preventative head work - And it's a huge credit to Katech for undertaking this endeavor for a community that has at times questioned their motives (unfairly, IMHO).

Now post up the results already! I'm getting tired of bouncing back and forth between this thread and the C7 forum.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 PM
jtjohn1
Instructor

Well, as long as it helps people buy the right parts (for their comfort level) the first time around, regardless of the outcome I think it's going to be a good thing for the community.

I think 95% of the people waiting for this could care less about winning arguments on the internet, and really just want more confidence in "what to do and where to go" for their preventative head work - And it's a huge credit to Katech for undertaking this endeavor for a community that has at times questioned their motives (unfairly, IMHO).

Now post up the results already! I'm getting tired of bouncing back and forth between this thread and the C7 forum.

Not planning on having the work done until early next year but I have been researching this issue and scratching my head.

I just want to know what's the most bullet proof without hurting performance that much (I will be doing both heads and cam when I have the work done) Not interested in squeezing out that last little bit just want tough and bullet proof.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

This week is crazy. It's crunch time for The Belle Aisle Grand Prix. We have 4 cars with Katech engines competing over the weekend. Some of our staff leaves tomorrow, some Friday.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are likely right, especially for those who may or may not grasp what the results mean. Hell some people still don't realize the problem with the first SS exh valve test was with valve bounce and not valve float.

If I need to take my redline down a few notches based on the results, so be it. I will say this, for my purposes and plans, I'm not looking for an 800 rpm "cushion" above 7K
Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Katech's Ethics

Katech's Ethics are beyond reproach. Period.

Back in 2006 we had the first Killer Bee for the Z06 dyno tested A-B vs. the stock OEM intake on the Katech engine dyno and the results were 12 HP/11lbs-ft torque vs. stock on the same motor.

The K&N did 13 HP/ 9lbs-ft torque on the same test motor. Needless to say, I did not want to post those results after the buildup we did promoting the first Gen Killer Bee, but Jason talked me into it.

He said, let the chips fall where they may, but at least you're being 100% honest. I did just that.

In 2007 we came out with the Beehive which turned our intake into a cold air platform, vs. the hot air K&N, where most folks did their own math to come up with their own conclusions.

In 2009 we came out with the Super Bee CF112 (carbon fiber version first) and it banged out 15 HP vs. stock, which has been the record for many years since then. It is promoted and used by Katech now, but the dynos were done with the kind of integrity GM respected and of course Halltech was very pleased.

We do not normally brag about the Katech dynos these days, but rather let the market and personal testimonies replace hype. (I'm good at that).

The numbers that Katech will post will not have their agenda attached to it, of that I am certain. In fact, if some of the new combinations prove to be better than old combos, guess what? That's what they will recommend.

There will be some surprises, so settle down and enjoy the movie. Oh and turn off your cellphone!

Last edited by Halltech; 05-29-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great points. I do think the information will be helpful for everyone.

My point earlier around value is that I still think folks who made up their mind will run what they think is best, regardless of what the results show.

People who think Hollow is best because its light will still run them even if SS is stable. "GM used the lighter valves for a reason!'

And people who think SS is best because of the endurance thus far will still run them even if they're shown to be unstable. 'The OE still fails and SS has proven to be reliable!'

Might help the folks on the fence though, though personally I'd be hesitant to run the OE valve in either case.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Halltech

Back in 2006 we had the first Killer Bee for the Z06 dyno tested A-B vs. the stock OEM intake on the Katech engine dyno and the results were 12 HP/11lbs-ft torque vs. stock on the same motor.

The K&N did 13 HP/ 9lbs-ft torque on the same test motor. Needless to say, I did not want to post those results after the buildup we did promoting the first Gen Killer Bee, but Jason talked me into it.

He said, let the chips fall where they may, but at least you're being 100% honest. I did just that.

In 2007 we came out with the Beehive which turned our intake into a cold air platform, vs. the hot air K&N, where most folks did their own math to come up with their own conclusions.

In 2009 we came out with the Super Bee CF112 (carbon fiber version first) and it banged out 15 HP vs. stock, which has been the record for many years since then. It is promoted and used by Katech now, but the dynos were done with the kind of integrity GM respected and of course Halltech was very pleased.

We do not normally brag about the Katech dynos these days, but rather let the market and personal testimonies replace hype. (I'm good at that).

The numbers that Katech will post will not have their agenda attached to it, of that I am certain. In fact, if some of the new combinations prove to be better than old combos, guess what? That's what they will recommend.

There will be some surprises, so settle down and enjoy the movie. Oh and turn off your cellphone!
Whats the saying, Birds of a feather flock together. I trust you and your product because of how it performs, how it was designed, how it was tested, and who recommended it!! Oh! my cell is now off..
Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jason, I presume the OEM pushrod was used for all the tests, and was wondering if you have done any deflection tests on it in the past and if you think it is suitably stiff for higher lift and pressures (such as the Torquer on PSI-1511's, for example).
Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Jason, I presume the OEM pushrod was used for all the tests, and was wondering if you have done any deflection tests on it in the past and if you think it is suitably stiff for higher lift and pressures (such as the Torquer on PSI-1511's, for example).
Yes, the OEM pushrod was used and it is suitable for use with the Torquer and PSILS1511s.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Data doesn't lie.............it's all about test conditions and how you interpret the results.

Go Jason.....

Drumroll please

Get notified of new replies

To Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
You are likely right, especially for those who may or may not grasp what the results mean. Hell some people still don't realize the problem with the first SS exh valve test was with valve bounce and not valve float.

If I need to take my redline down a few notches based on the results, so be it. I will say this, for my purposes and plans, I'm not looking for an 800 rpm "cushion" above 7K
Except I likely would not even drop my redline. If the cushion difference is only a couple hundred RPM vs stock, then I certainly wouldn't have a problem with leaving things as is with my stock redline.

Any package they don't offer, except perhaps #3, probably won't "pass" this testing, i.e. offer an 800 RPM cushion above stock.

You guys ever stop and wonder how much money is on this?

You don't referee a game you're playing in.

You don't officiate a horse race with three of your horses running in it.

You don't referee a prize fight with a fighter from your gym in it.

As such, any result is likely to come under scrutiny.

Originally Posted by Halltech

Katech, is not in the CAI business, and does not endorse any particular CAI with their packages.

Thus they had no horse in the CAI race which you are referring to above.

They may as well have been testing headers. They aren't in the header business either. So what would it matter to them whether or not Pfadts made more power than ARH's?

The results of such a header test, would have no more potential bottom line impact on their bottom line, than did the test you describe above in your post.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM
jtjohn1
Instructor

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Any package they don't offer, except perhaps #3, won't "pass" this testing.

You guys ever stop and wonder how much money is on this?

You don't referee a game you're playing in.

You don't officiate a horse race with three of your horses running in it.

You don't referee a prize fight with a fighter from your gym in it.

As such, any result is likely to come under scrutiny.
If somebody reputable does the testing (Even if it's biased one way or the other) it doesn't really matter a great deal to the vast majority of us.

If Katech comes out and say's "this passes all of the tests and here is the data" I could care less if they tested something from LPE or any of the other major brands.

Katech took the time to certify their setup. Their setup works. More than likely it's not going to be mega more expensive than other manufacturers so I will buy Katech's recommended setup. Simple as that.

If other builders want to use their own dime to run the same tests with their products more power to them (Then we would have choices that are KNOWN to be good). Frankly if Katech tested anything OTHER than their products (Or products/setups available from them) then more power to them (Good for them)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjohn1
If somebody reputable does the testing (Even if it's biased one way or the other) it doesn't really matter a great deal to the vast majority of us.
What?

Originally Posted by jtjohn1
If Katech comes out and say's "this passes all of the tests and here is the data" I could care less if they tested something from LPE or any of the other major brands.

Katech took the time to certify their setup. Their setup works. More than likely it's not going to be mega more expensive than other manufacturers so I will buy Katech's recommended setup. Simple as that.

If other builders want to use their own dime to run the same tests with their products more power to them (Then we would have choices that are KNOWN to be good). Frankly if Katech tested anything OTHER than their products (Or products/setups available from them) then more power to them (Good for them)
A conflict of interest is easily identifiable in this study.

Now whether one prefers not to admit it, or avoid dealing with any implications that may have, or any potential impact that may have on those at a level above Jason's pay grade, is their prerogative.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-30-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum