Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

Well put Jason.

Go ahead and get started on the research and don't let any of this other junk impede that progress.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to your results.

Rick.
I would expect nothing less from Katech, and I mean this as a compliment. All the Katech "haters"... not those that disagreed with Jason, but those that did so in a disrespectful manner can STFU , get out of the way and let the professionals do some work.

Let's keep this thread on track for once as a few others have stated, its not about Guide Wear..root cause etc...

Jason, I join the others in thanking you and Katech for your help and information and time. Will be great to see your results.

Patiently we wait
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ramairws6
.....and it "still" doesn't explain why the exhaust guides are bad and on the exact same head the intake guides are perfect. Jeeshh, what part of this does not help you understand why we still question GM's (and Katech's) answer to the issue!????
In our experience we have seen heads with intake guide wear also. If there are heads that have exhaust only, I can believe that it's possible that the machining operations could be separated so that errors could come up on either intake or exhaust only.

Again though, let's not debate guide wear in this thread. It's about valvetrain dynamics.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....and it "still" doesn't explain why the exhaust guides are bad and on the exact same head the intake guides are perfect. Jeeshh, what part of this does not help you understand why we still question GM's (and Katech's) answer to the issue!????
What part of "please do not turn this into a debate" did you not understand?

there offering a valuable free service to this forum...no other shop has been willing to offer up any data on this...so out of respect please keep the thread clean of debate! exercise your "freedom of speech" in anyone of the 100 other debate threads on the issue.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
In our experience we have seen heads with intake guide wear also. If there are heads that have exhaust only, I can believe that it's possible that the machining operations could be separated so that errors could come up on either intake or exhaust only.

Again though, let's not debate guide wear in this thread. It's about valvetrain dynamics.
Originally Posted by JetBlue427
What part of "please do not turn this into a debate" did you not understand?

there offering a valuable free service to this forum...no other shop has been willing to offer up any data on this...so out of respect please keep the thread clean of debate! exercise your "freedom of speech" in anyone of the 100 other debate threads on the issue.
Amen
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Amen
I would imagine this testing will take dozens times ( a lot ) of man hours costing who knows what!!!! And its being done without asking for anything! except ideas from US on our forum. I have never heard of any company offering such a service the way Katech has this week. NOT ONE Charge on Katech

Last edited by DON T.; 01-11-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
I would imagine this testing will take dozens times ( a lot ) of man hours costing who knows what!!!! And its being done without asking for anything! except ideas from US on our forum. I have never heard of any company offering such a service the way Katech has this week. NOT ONE Charge on Katech
Hahahahahaha, and not one thing in return like selling thousands of Katech cam, springs and valve packages. You guys are hilarius
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Hey its a win win for us.. shhhh!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is the guides because some of them were machined incorrectly. GM has stated this.
Thank you for re-stating this for those who missed previous key statements.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Hahahahahaha, and not one thing in return like selling thousands of Katech cam, springs and valve packages. You guys are hilarius
WOW!!! Free enterprise comes from hard work!!!! You have to spend money in order to make money!! Nothing else to say, do not want to knock this thread off course...

Last edited by DON T.; 01-11-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is the guides because some of them were machined incorrectly. GM has stated this. Please lets not turn this thread into another debate on whether or not that is the problem. This thread is about valvetrain dynamics testing different valves, not a guide wear debate.
Yep and this is the same announcement which stated the problem did not exist in '06, '07, and 08 MYs, yeah a lot of credibility there Care to enlighten us about exactly what the machining error was and how one can go about determining IF your '09 or newer car was subject to the error...now that would be useful information

And don't go blaming me for stinking up your thread, Ricky stated it by going on about how this was going to be real research unlike that in the other thread you and he both sh*t on...didn't see you telling him not to start the debate again

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 01-12-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Our vendors need to make money in order to support the site and keep it "free" for all of us.

Katech sponsors "Track Attack", a near annual event for Corvette enthusiasts, many of whom are regulars on this board, and has sponsored it for a few years now, and sponsors this forum.

As such, I have no problem, none whatsoever, with them making a profit off their research. If what Katech finds in their observations, should result in them offering a new product, or products, well then so much the better. We all benefit.

I, for one, own their products, and run them in my own car, and am very happy with their current products. Products no doubt, developed through research not much unlike that which we see them about to embark on even now with this new study.

Some compensation is due them for their efforts.

Those of us already running SS valves, really have nothing to lose, no matter the results of Katech's research.

If they find out that another spring works better with a given weight SS valve, well then we simply change springs if we want.

So whatever the results, because of the good track record of SS valves in these cars, those already running them, really have no down side. If the spintron testing shows someone's setup in an unfavorable light, well then the option for making changes, exists, if changes are deemed necessary.

This is a big part of the reason why many of us already running these setups are so excited about this research. If Katech comes back and says a beehive spring worked better than my dual springs with my cam and weight valves, well then I can consider whatever beehive spring they tested, at any time, should I so desire.

However there are those, who have railed and preached against the validity of using SS exhaust valves in these cars at all, who have everything to lose with the results of this testing. And apparently do not want to see it happen.

And right now, are scared to death, that Katech is going to actually find a setup, during their testing process, which will be proven stable through their Spintron testing. If/when that happens, look for them all to crap cobblestones.

Indeed, they can't stomach the fact that Katech is even about to do this research, because Katech may well find a combo which works.

This is why they try and poo poo it, with that "it doesn't get to the root cause" crap. Jason has said that they aren't looking for any "root cause". This is valve train testing. They are looking to Spintron test different setups. How much more clear can he be?

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Yep and this is the same announcement which stated the problem did not exist in '06, '07, and 08 MYs, yeah a lot of credibility there Care to enlighten us about exactly what th machining error was and how one can go about determining IF your '09 or newer car was subject to the error...now that would be useful information

And don't go blaming me for stinking up your thread, Ricky stated it by going on about how this was going to be real research unlike that in the other thread you and he both sh*t on...didn't see you telling him not to start the debate again

Of course I know enough intimate details about a particular 500CID build to have a slightly different view than most on this forum

Cheers, Paul.
If you don't like the thread man, why don't you just leave? Why do you keep bringing up my name?

So now, both Jason and me, what did you call it,.... "sh*t on" a thread?

Quit accusing both he and I, and bellyaching. We are trying to have a discussion. What a big baby. "Ricky started it."????? , What on earth?? Unbelievable.

By saying that it was time for "real research", and that I was glad to see an endeavor of "real research" embarked upon by Katech, I "started" it?? Unreal. Started what exactly? What on earth are you talking about? Grow up and quit acting like a child. If you don't like the thread, then just leave.

Do yourself a favor Jason and don't even respond to him.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
However those like Paul, who have railed and preached against the validity of using SS exhaust valves, have everything to lose with the results of this testing.

And right now, are scared $#!*less, that Katech is going to actually find a setup which will be proven stable through their spintron testing. If/when that happens, look for them all to crap cobblestones.
Wow that's one amazing imagination

What on earth do I have to loose if SS valves can be well controlled by a good spring...I have stock valves and guides which work perfectly and were actually measured to be in spec as of last week! So far it's looking like I may have one of those Zs which will go a couple hundred thousand miles trouble free

There are very few things in life I am scared sh*tless about and trust me Ricky, whether the heavy valves in somebody else's engine can be controlled reliabily, is absolutely not one of them

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
track junkie
Instructor

Thank you Katech for going above and beyond by conducting this valve-train stability comparison.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Yep and this is the same announcement which stated the problem did not exist in '06, '07, and 08 MYs, yeah a lot of credibility there Care to enlighten us about exactly what the machining error was and how one can go about determining IF your '09 or newer car was subject to the error...now that would be useful information

Of course I know enough intimate details about a particular 500CID build to have a slightly different view than most on this forum

Cheers, Paul.

It seems like some things need to be clarified.

GM made the announcement, not Katech. You have the right to question them, but we were just the messenger.

I don't know EXACTLY what the machining error was. I don't work for GM. Unless GM states there is some way to determine VIN breakpoints for the machining error, I don't see how we'll ever know. Again, Katech has no way of knowing this because we're just the messenger.

I think there is a hatred for GM brewing over this issue and I don't understand why Katech is getting all wrapped up in it for simply relaying GM information and also stating our personal opinions. We have no affiliation with with GM. We're a private company.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Wow that's one amazing imagination

What on earth do I have to loose if SS valves can be well controlled by a good spring...
Face. Because you have been talking so loudly about "heavy assed SS valves" being such a bad thing.

I have stock valves and guides which work perfectly and were actually measured to be in spec as of last week! So far it's looking like I may have one of those Zs which will go a couple hundred thousand miles trouble free
Well, don't look now, but it's not about you and how many hundred thousand miles you go. That's not what the thread is about. People are trying to find out about the stability of various valve and spring setups, through Katech's planned testing procedure, described in this thread.

Some of these people are either currently running, or plan to run some of the setups Katech is considering testing.

That has nothing to do with how many miles YOU may or may not travel.

There are very few things in life I am scared sh*tless about and trust me Ricky, whether the heavy valves in somebody else's engine can be controlled reliabily, is absolutely not one of them

Cheers, Paul.
Well then why are you talking here about "costs" in other people's cars?

Look at what you just wrote.

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Paul

Do you preclude the possibility that the SS valve and correct corresponding spring could actually be more stable at and even above 7000 RPM than the OEM ??

DH
No I would not preclude that possibility, in fact it would seem completely possible, the only question would be "at what cost"...and I'm not just speaking of money. It would seem unlikely that the additional stress created in such a situation would allow for truly long term reliability, but then again maybe with expensive enough parts it would be possible???

Cheers, Paul.
What does it matter to you, what the "cost" in terms of money or otherwise, would be for those folks? It's not your car?

So no, I don't believe for one minute your tripe about "There are very few things in life I am scared sh*tless about and trust me Ricky, whether the heavy valves in somebody else's engine can be controlled reliabily, is absolutely not one of them

You seem above to be worried about what it is going to "cost" "somebody else".

No, the fact is, you're scared Paul. And you just showed it.

Scared that you are going to look like a fool, if, or more likely, WHEN, Katech comes back with a SS valve and spring setup, which stands up to spintron testing.

That is why you are giving Jason such a particularly hard time, then go on to issue some thinly veiled "threat" towards him, apparently to disclose information on this forum, about a "particular 500CID build."

I wonder what the point was in bringing the following up, and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering why you would play this particular "card", unless it was as some show of "power" or "force". Almost sounds like blackmail. Sounds like a threat to "spill the beans" about something that not all know, and IF they knew, it would change their minds about Katech:

Cheers, Paul.

You are deathly afraid that their testing, might reveal that a setup out there already in use, is stable to well above 7K RPM. If that happens well then, because of all of the previous talking you have been doing, you look even worse.

You've been hanging your hat on, cutting people down, and basing your arguments on solid stainless valves being "too heavy" to work.

Now Katech is about to embark on real research, and with plenty of resources at their disposal, which threatens to debunk that. And you're upset that they are about to maybe do it. And you're shaking.

So you just sit there and continue to brood and HOPE that somehow, some way, Katech doesn't come up with anything indicating that an inexpensive, and reliable SS valve and spring setup will work.

But because of the large number of springs and valve options out there, plus Katech's possible current, or future, financial motivation for finding such a combination, stacks the odds against you.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
mistermog
Drifting

guys, can you take your arguing somewhere else. jason is doing us a HUGE favor here by publishing these results for us. don't make him regret it.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

It seems like some things need to be clarified.

GM made the announcement, not Katech. You have the right to question them, but we were just the messenger.

I don't know EXACTLY what the machining error was. I don't work for GM. Unless GM states there is some way to determine VIN breakpoints for the machining error, I don't see how we'll ever know. Again, Katech has no way of knowing this because we're just the messenger.

I think there is a hatred for GM brewing over this issue and I don't understand why Katech is getting all wrapped up in it for simply relaying GM information and also stating our personal opinions. We have no affiliation with with GM. We're a private company.
You didn't do anything wrong Jason.

The guy just has an axe to grind.

Carry on with your research, because everyone who is someone in here, appreciates your efforts and are looking forward to the results.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Ti is more maliable than stainless. It is a very reasonable assumption that the exh would wear more.

You've made your opinion clear, over and over and over again. No worries, you can say I told you so if you end up being correct. Now please go play with the other children and let the adults talk.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all wanna know "WHY" but this doesn't appear to be the thread to discuss the "assignable cause" issue.

Thats exactly why I asked Jason what the goal of the testing was. He has graciously laid out the goals, test plan and even offered that some other sample configurations could be added based on machine availability/capacity.

I certainly appreciate the efforts. If there are other questions to be posed possibly that could take place on a new thread......

Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by RFE-57; 01-11-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for taking this on, Jason!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum