Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] c6 zr1 or c7 zo6

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the one you can get now. Very few cars available today can hang with it. It's not like a C7 variant is going to blow the doors off the ZR1 and it's a ways out to boot.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
C7envy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaimerej
Get the one you can get now. Very few cars available today can hang with it. It's not like a C7 variant is going to blow the doors off the ZR1 and it's a ways out to boot.
I have to go drive a zr1 first but unlike many other people, I don't believe in garage queens (unless I had 5 nice cars). Therefor it has to be something I can live with every day. For example while the shelby is fun as hell to drive it is also pretty bumpy for a DD. I'm sure the vette is much better though with IRS and MR system. That being said the new c7 is also a further improvement with that.

Another thing is I like all the new tech the new c7 has. All the different drive mods and the different exhaust modes, and yes wait for it the better fuel milage (why not have it all?). But I'm going to go test drive one and see how it feels.

I don't really care for better performance than a zr1, that is pretty much the pinnacle of what can be used on the street which is what I care about. Only other places to go up is comfort, adjustments, and fuel economy.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Alligator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you basically want the latest and greatest?? Then you'll never be happy because there will always be something better...

Originally Posted by C7envy
See this is how I was when I bought my 13 gt500. Now because I wasn't patient and didn't know about the killer deals on new zo6s and zr1s right now I missed out on the better car. I'm trying to not make that mistake again, being I get a zr1 now and then later when the performance edition comes out for c7 and whoops the floor with the current zr1 I'm going to kicking myself in the *** again.

At least when the zr1 came out in 2009 (I think it was?) it will essentially be good till 2014-2015, so that is quite a bit of time to be king of the hill. I know a c7 version of a zr1 will ride 10x better and handle better than the current one.

ughhh decision decicions lol. I should have been car shopping for this stuff in like 2010 so a year after the zr1 came out that way I have many years to enjoy it before the new model is vastly superior.

This is why I won't buy a GTR either because it is going to get a complete redesign in like 3 years.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, get the car that doesn't exist.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I have to go drive a zr1 first but unlike many other people, I don't believe in garage queens (unless I had 5 nice cars). Therefor it has to be something I can live with every day. For example while the shelby is fun as hell to drive it is also pretty bumpy for a DD. I'm sure the vette is much better though with IRS and MR system. That being said the new c7 is also a further improvement with that.

Another thing is I like all the new tech the new c7 has. All the different drive mods and the different exhaust modes, and yes wait for it the better fuel milage (why not have it all?). But I'm going to go test drive one and see how it feels.

I don't really care for better performance than a zr1, that is pretty much the pinnacle of what can be used on the street which is what I care about. Only other places to go up is comfort, adjustments, and fuel economy.
you haven't driven one yet?

same 5 PTM modes.

NPP exhaust is already on ZR1.

you will never use near the ZR1's peak performance on the street---track maybe if you're really, really good, but never on the street.

Last edited by 05dsom; 02-17-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

another Shelby guy going to a vette........not surprised. Better act quick, new '13 Shelbys are getting cheaper by the day and that's a fact but try to sell this fact to the Shelby fanboys on the SVT site and they won't believe it......thinking it's so rare, now in it's 8th !!! year of 'rare' production. hahaha. Remember, you're is only worth what someone is willing to pay, you're not going to get msrp for a used one when someone can buy new. good luck with your decision.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:52 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
another Shelby guy going to a vette........not surprised. Better act quick, new '13 Shelbys are getting cheaper by the day and that's a fact but try to sell this fact to the Shelby fanboys on the SVT site and they won't believe it......thinking it's so rare, now in it's 8th !!! year of 'rare' production. hahaha. Remember, you're is only worth what someone is willing to pay, you're not going to get msrp for a used one when someone can buy new. good luck with your decision.
Lol spare me. Shelby at eliteautos as already offered me 70k. I've had other people offer me more than that. This car isn't a honda civic. Again people will be used ones for 3k off MSRP (which is still more than I paid), when dealerships are marking them up or only doing MSRP. I have yet to see a dealership besides mine go past 2k discount which are rare.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by 05dsom
you haven't driven one yet?

same 5 PTM modes.

NPP exhaust is already on ZR1.

you will never use near the ZR1's peak performance on the street---track maybe if you're really, really good, but never on the street.
Oh I see. But the c7 I thought has 4 modes for exhaust now?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by Alligator
So you basically want the latest and greatest?? Then you'll never be happy because there will always be something better...
Read clearly. Don't need latest and greatest. Like I said the zr1 is the greatest untill a c7 zr1 comes out. That is what 2009 to maybe 2015? So almost 6 years maybe even 7?

That is plenty long. Like I said only thing they can do is offer more comfort which even at that point there is a limit. They reached the performance limit with the zr1 but not the comfort limit, but they may very well with the c7. Again if the zr1 rides like a cadliace in tour mode like everyone says it should be fine. I just get seriously annoyed when driving a bumpy car every day, it really gets on my nerves especially when I am in a pissed off mood.

In actuality though the only car that probably has reached the limit in comfort and performance is the mclaren 12c but that is 250k I don't have sadly.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Oh I see. But the c7 I thought has 4 modes for exhaust now?
no.

you will want them open all the time anyway. First mod should be the NPP fuse pull.

Last edited by 05dsom; 02-17-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Read clearly. Don't need latest and greatest. Like I said the zr1 is the greatest untill a c7 zr1 comes out. That is what 2009 to maybe 2015? So almost 6 years maybe even 7?

That is plenty long. Like I said only thing they can do is offer more comfort which even at that point there is a limit. They reached the performance limit with the zr1 but not the comfort limit, but they may very well with the c7. Again if the zr1 rides like a cadliace in tour mode like everyone says it should be fine. I just get seriously annoyed when driving a bumpy car every day, it really gets on my nerves especially when I am in a pissed off mood.

In actuality though the only car that probably has reached the limit in comfort and performance is the mclaren 12c but that is 250k I don't have sadly.
"lightly used" 12c can be had for $219K.
Actually I have driven the 12C and the 458, Superleggera, 430 Scud, R8 and Aventador....both Lambo's were my favorites but not suited as DD's.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Hmmmm....

After reading this thread I would say you need to keep the Mustang.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
C7envy
Racer

no.

you will want them open all the time anyway. First mod should be the NPP fuse pull.
Nooo I like it quiet when I am driving and loud when I floor it. I get enough cop attention as it is.

"lightly used" 12c can be had for $219K.
Actually I have driven the 12C and the 458, Superleggera, 430 Scud, R8 and Aventador....both Lambo's were my favorites but not suited as DD's.
The only supercar I would DD is the 12c since it literally feels as soft as a rolls royce if you wanted it to be. But again 200k is too much. Maybe in 10-15 years.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Nooo I like it quiet when I am driving and loud when I floor it. I get enough cop attention as it is.

The only supercar I would DD is the 12c since it literally feels as soft as a rolls royce if you wanted it to be. But again 200k is too much. Maybe in 10-15 years.
True but it does lack something that's hard to put your finger on-- the visceral feeling of the Lambo's or Scud.

R8 also drives like a luxury sedan around town but like a champ on the track.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Z062008
Instructor

Why don't you get a lease for a three years? After your lease is up buy the C7 Z06...
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

OP - not sure what to tell that others haven't mentioned. All I can say is IF I get a C7 it will only be one that has equal or better performance than my ZR, and such C7 doesn't yet exist. And may never.

And if it comes to be, I won't be getting rid of my ZR to get one. My ZR is biggest kick in the pants, fun to drive car I've ever owned. It's a great machine. I've got HRE P40s on it along with exhaust, so it looks and sounds just like I want.

If a C7 comes along with equal/better performance I'll take a good hard look at adding it to the stable, while keeping my current ZR as it and me have made a nice connection. It is simply a no bulls**t, straight-forward, easy driving, record-holding, great looking supercar with bullet-proof durability.

Kinda fond of the 'ol girl.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
BubbaThaLuva
Instructor

If Las Vegas was taking odds on whether or not the C7 will ever see a ZR1 version, I'd put money on no. C4 did, C5 didn't, C6 did, I'd definitely bet C7 won't. The C7 is such a radical change over the C6 GM won't need to. Considering how similar the C5 and C6 were, the ZR1 was a no-brainer to help liven up the C6. The C7 won't need a ZR1 and I'm willing to bet that the C8 will be more like the C7 and will probably need something like a ZR1 to liven it up. So, as a current ZR1 owner, I love that my vette will most likely still be faster than any C7. As much as I love what they've done with the interior and as much as I'd love to put a C7 interior in my ZR1, I'll just be happy with what I have for at least another 6 years when its paid off.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 zr1 or c7 zo6

Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 AM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Hmmmm....

After reading this thread I would say you need to keep the Mustang.
This ^^^^^

(absafreakinlutley... where do I submit my request to get my ten minutes back? )
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic
This ^^^^^

(absafreakinlutley... where do I submit my request to get my ten minutes back? )

You mentioned several things you HATE about the ZR1, and you said the may-or-may-not-be-coming C7 Z-whatever will ride 10 times better than the current ZR1,and you HATE the push-in rear panel, and HATE the nav and layout of the C6. Geez, man, I'm at a loss for words to advise you. The push-in panel is actually a very clever way of not having to pay for expensive fix in minor contact accident. What's the problem with it? The layout of the C6 is one of, if not the best, in modern automobiles. The material is not first-rate, but the layout most definitely is. Someone else said changing the NAV is very simple. I did that, got a Kenwood unit with GPS, Bluetooth, Voice activation, .... everything. Regarding the not-first-rate material, you yourself mentioned Caravaggio, so for a few grands, they will give you an interior that's worthy of any exotic. I don't know why you're complaining and being indecisive, just drive your Mustang and enjoy it. Don't worry about things in the future nobody knows jack about.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX

You mentioned several things you HATE about the ZR1, and you said the may-or-may-not-be-coming C7 Z-whatever will ride 10 times better than the current ZR1,and you HATE the push-in rear panel, and HATE the nav and layout of the C6. Geez, man, I'm at a loss for words to advise you. The push-in panel is actually a very clever way of not having to pay for expensive fix in minor contact accident. What's the problem with it? The layout of the C6 is one of, if not the best, in modern automobiles. The material is not first-rate, but the layout most definitely is. Someone else said changing the NAV is very simple. I did that, got a Kenwood unit with GPS, Bluetooth, Voice activation, .... everything. Regarding the not-first-rate material, you yourself mentioned Caravaggio, so for a few grands, they will give you an interior that's worthy of any exotic. I don't know why you're complaining and being indecisive, just drive your Mustang and enjoy it. Don't worry about things in the future nobody knows jack about.
I'll sit in one today and see how it is. Maybe the dealer will even let me drive though I doubt that.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] c6 zr1 or c7 zo6