Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another Valve Guide Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
The production guide tolerance spec is.0010 to .0025. They likely were produced to that spec. However, if the seat concentricity was off, the valve could have hammered the valve guide out of spec very early on.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quick, did you find the link to the thread with Z06_505's failure? Didn't we all read that recently and determine there were no guide measurements to show they were in spec? I thought I recalled seeing the quote, "some wear" as the description in that thread, but nothing definitive. I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking, no tone intended if it comes across that way.

I don't really care about anything else right now except finding if any valves have failed with guides in spec, and I guess this is the one data point to look at now.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
Quick, did you find the link to the thread with Z06_505's failure? Didn't we all read that recently and determine there were no guide measurements to show they were in spec? I thought I recalled seeing the quote, "some wear" as the description in that thread, but nothing definitive. I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking, no tone intended if it comes across that way.
Yes, see post #38.

I again point out that I find it curious that Mark200X points to Chad's video of a 2010 which dropped a valve and shows excessive guide wear.

But dismissed the Z06_505 dropped valve case where there was no excessive play in the guides.

But aside from the Z06_505 case, what other cases can we find where there were actual guide measurements to show they were in, or out of, spec?

I don't really care about anything else right now except finding if any valves have failed with guides in spec, and I guess this is the one data point to look at now.
I wish you the best in that endeavor. But until it becomes a matter of routine, or near a matter of routine, we do not, and will not have such information, and it is indeed crucial information in this matter.

However when I take into account variations of wall thickness discovered by a forum member here, variations in sodium quantity found inside the stock valves by another, milling marks inside the stock hollow valve stems, I am not ready to dismiss the prospect that the valves themselves might be a major player in these valve failures, merely on the "strength" of us not finding any "exhaust valve failures inside of in spec guides", which we seldom if ever look for to determine anyway.

In a nutshelll, some believe that it is the valves, the guides and the rockers, and change all three. WhiteDiamond, tjwong.

Some believe that it is potentially the guides and the valves and so change both. Several others in here have done so.

Some believe that it just the guides and the other's the valves and the rockers are not a potential issue, and so change the guides only.

The option to do whatever, is the car owner's based on a gathering of the available facts, weighing said facts, and an honest assessment of which facts would be beneficial, but are as yet unavailable.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
The production guide tolerance spec is.0010 to .0025. They likely were produced to that spec. However, if the seat concentricity was off, the valve could have hammered the valve guide out of spec very early on.
The guide tolerances were NOT checked at Wixom by the engine assemblers (please correct me if I'm mistaken here), and I doubt they were even after inconsistencies were admitted by GM.

You are right, there is a production tolerance, but to my knowledge the subcontractor was in charge of actually verifying that tolerance (because the heads arrive at wixom fully assembled). Just as GM announced there were machining errors in later year heads, these errors were also based on "tolerances" that were simply missed by the subcontractor and that which GM assumed were accurate (until physical inspections proved otherwise).

So, realistically, it doesn't matter what the spec is - people still assume that 240,000+ sintered guides are all going to be within spec, or that the subcontractor is checking each and every one (and the diameter of the exhaust valve that goes into it) to ensure uniformity. I think we all know that, realistically, that each part will have variation and only random checks are being done to ensure consistency. Based on these samplings, "specification" is being extrapolated to entire lots of product to meet the desired result: guide tolerance that should be within 0.001 to 0.0025".

Unfortunately, every manufacturer slips out a lemon or three - so that's why one of my big issues with some who assumue the valve itself is the sole culprit: we have to assume each and every guide is made "to spec" before that logic can be believed (a loose guide tolerance = oil coking = poor heat transfer and increased wear/fatigue = snapped valves).

Having one or two late-model Z's show up with out-of-spec guides with no more than a few hundred miles on the odometer (combined with the successes of aftermarket shops using OEM valves) leads me to believe this idea may be distorting what we think we know. Food for thought.

Last edited by Random84; 03-13-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

When in doubt or in those circumstances when conflicting opinion is offered, one should seek out an expert on the subject...If the person can provide actual evidence of and proof of solution, then this is the guy I will accept until proven otherwise..

The expert I called upon was Katech...No additional info needs to be provided as to their qualifications on the LS7 or this subject..Katech say's the problem with the LS7 valve drop is the OEM guides..Their recommendation was to replace them with Bronze and OEM ex valves along with a change to the intake valve for compatibility to the bronze..
Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
The expert I called upon was Katech...No additional info needs to be provided as to their qualifications on the LS7 or this subject..Katech say's the problem with the LS7 valve drop is the OEM guides..Their recommendation was to replace them with Bronze and OEM ex valves along with a change to the intake valve for compatibility to the bronze..
But they also said this :
http://ls1tech.com/forums/17205783-post64.html
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Yes, see post #38.
I didn't see guide spec measurements anywhere in there. Are they available? I'd really like to look at each guide spec and compare it to the one that failed, and then compare it to our own measurements in the spec thread.

I see chad's offer to mail one of us the head, but then I would just have to mail it to WCCH, what a hassle. From what you are saying there are measurements available and they show the guides within the service limit per GM correct? I just want to be clear as people tend to mud up their posts and most don't care to sift through the banter. Nobody is calling anyone out here, just clarifying as this would be a critical piece of data and the very first proven case of in spec guide/failed valve.

Last edited by ConfusedGarage; 03-13-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I didn't see guide spec measurements anywhere in there. Are they available? Was this a wiggle test or are there actual measurement? From what you are saying there are measurements available and they show the guides within the service limit per GM correct? I just want to be clear as people tend to mud up their posts and most don't care to sift through the banter. Nobody is calling anyone out here, just clarifying as this would be a critical piece of data and the very first proven case of in spec guide/failed valve. Does anyone else see the specs that I am missing?
What I'm saying is that this was the report from two forum members who are familiar with Z06_505's case.

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
The problem with doin SEM micrography on a broken valve is the fact that the crack propagation site is often damaged during the mayhem after the valve separation. I had a set of valves sent to me with one broken with hopes to do the same...but i was unable to find the site of the crack because of how mashed both the stem and the head were. Keep in mind the failed valve showed NO signs of a worn guide.
Originally Posted by chadyellowz06
if your talking about z06-505 the guides were all in spec...i still have the head if you want i can ship it to you...
If you would like more specifics and are more curious as to how they arrived at their assessments, then I strongly encourage you to contact both forum members with regard to that as your best option for getting a first hand account of just how they made their determination.

As they are the ones who would have performed any measurements, they, better than I, would be able to tell you what they measured with.

I see chad's offer to mail one of us the head, but then I would just have to mail it to WCCH, what a hassle. From what you are saying there are measurements available and they show the guides within the service limit per GM correct? I just want to be clear as people tend to mud up their posts and most don't care to sift through the banter. Nobody is calling anyone out here, just clarifying as this would be a critical piece of data and the very first proven case of in spec guide/failed valve.
And I can respect that.

Why don't you contact Chad, Z06_505, and 240sx2jz if you would like more specifics and wish not to "sift through the banter"?

In the meantime though, I would like to repeat my request that you post up 5 cases of exhaust valve failure in here where the guides were shown to have been out of spec, following the failures, using the same measurement techniques which you are calling for in the Z06_505 case.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-13-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM
fnunez
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 valve guides (exhaust)

Found this link on youtube, guy seems to know what he is doing/talking about. I own a 2008 Z06 with a new 2011 engine replaced by dealership under factory warranty because of the valve guide issue. This new engine only has 800 miles on it, I will remove the heads ASAP and repair all that is wrong with them or not wrong with them, so that I may feel safer when racing, good luck.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
Did my homework and found a wealth of information on head problems with the L7. I am impressed by the number of tech heads who know every nut, bolt and quirk of Z06s. So maybe you can help me decide what to do.

I could not find a single case of a 100% stock 06 Z06 with valve guide or rocker arm issues, but I did not read every single post/thread either. It seems 2007 is the most problematic year, with 08s and 09s following closely behind and the vast majority of these cars are modded. Are stock 06/Zs for the most part immune to this problem?

I drive a 2006 Z06 with 11k miles, is 100% stock and tracked once or twice a year for some spirited driving but never abused.

Should I play it safe and have the heads done or is this a non issue for stock 06/Z06s?

Thanks in advance for your help.
You can search my threads. My '08 lost motor most likely to valve guide wear and broken valve head. My replacement '11 motor had excessive guide wear after about 30k miles. Now I have rebuilt stock heads by WCCH

My car was and is stock but I do track it once a month.

DH
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,012 Likes on 5,373 Posts

Did my homework and found a wealth of information on head problems with the L7. I am impressed by the number of tech heads who know every nut, bolt and quirk of Z06s. So maybe you can help me decide what to do.

I could not find a single case of a 100% stock 06 Z06 with valve guide or rocker arm issues, but I did not read every single post/thread either. It seems 2007 is the most problematic year, with 08s and 09s following closely behind and the vast majority of these cars are modded. Are stock 06/Zs for the most part immune to this problem?

I drive a 2006 Z06 with 11k miles, is 100% stock and tracked once or twice a year for some spirited driving but never abused.

Should I play it safe and have the heads done or is this a non issue for stock 06/Z06s?

I don't think you can assume any stock engine is not going to drop a valve. My completely stock 08 LS7 engine dropped the exhaust valve in #1 cylinder at ~ 24K miles. Engine was stock right down to having the original air filter. It had 40 track days (not drag racing, hard track miles) on it. My replacement engine was built in May 2011 and I don't know whether there is an issue with it or not.

Bill
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

His conclusion of "that's insane" pertaining to the exhaust valve guide wear is correct ... it is insane.

It's the same BS GM pulled with the failing valve spring issues on the LS6 ... they did nothing special for a major screw up except to fix it if something failed under warranty.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 03-13-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fnunez
Found this link on youtube, guy seems to know what he is doing/talking about.
I'm sure z0sicktanner (who's a regular on this forum) will appreciate those words.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

I had z06-505's heads...valves were all in spec. I have the specs at home.. but from what i remember the worst valve was .0019 top .0016 mid .0021 bot...if im wrong I will change when I get home...
Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by spicytuna
I'm sure z0sicktanner (who's a regular on this forum) will appreciate those words.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by fnunez
Found this link on youtube, guy seems to know what he is doing/talking about. I own a 2008 Z06 with a new 2011 engine replaced by dealership under factory warranty because of the valve guide issue. This new engine only has 800 miles on it, I will remove the heads ASAP and repair all that is wrong with them or not wrong with them, so that I may feel safer when racing, good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0nXv...layer_embedded
Nice find...
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Chad has a video up on YouTube showing shot guides on a 2010 head with a dropped valve. So, there's one.

You're welcome

(Thanks, Chad )
Hey NO prob.....but this head in the vid was out of spec bad.... .0100 plus on 2 exhaust valves

Get notified of new replies

To Another Valve Guide Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine is a "100% Stock" 07, No mods, 43 K miles and heads were junk.
Properly maintained, never tracked.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Hey NO prob.....but this head in the vid was out of spec bad.... .0100 plus on 2 exhaust valves
Well the video is sure a shocker with guide slop like the vid shows - no wonder the valves break.

However what I cannot fathom is this. Why is the problem only affecting the exhaust valves as shown in the video with good tolerances on the intakes wiggle test. Seems difficult to believe the exhaust valves would be the only ones to have been fitted with out of tolerance guides.

I read someone talking about concentricity of guide and valve but surely that couldn't be the cause otherwise it would have shown up either visually or with misfiring due to bad seating caused by the mismatch seat to valve face. That just makes no sense to me.

Any answers I have missed that could sanely explain why this is only exhaust valves?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
I had z06-505's heads...valves were all in spec. I have the specs at home.. but from what i remember the worst valve was .0019 top .0016 mid .0021 bot...if im wrong I will change when I get home...
Please let us know what you find here Chad.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another Valve Guide Thread