Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My engine blew up

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM
qtr_c6z06
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Contact local GM rep first and see what they say then go up the food chain. They know this is happening all over so maybe they will. Let me know in private message if they won't and I'll give you a contact # that might help. Oh and be polite you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
z51vett
Doug
Retired GM 32 Years

Thanx Doug. They have called me and confirmed that i need a new motor. 15k$ is what they quoted me.

I explained myself and asked if they can "help me out". I am going to send them my service records.

All i know is that i cant afford a new motor from them. Thats almost half the price of what the car is worth, today.

Ill let you know Doug. Thank you
Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by qtr_c6z06
Thanx Doug. They have called me and confirmed that i need a new motor. 15k$ is what they quoted me.

I explained myself and asked if they can "help me out". I am going to send them my service records.

All i know is that i cant afford a new motor from them. Thats almost half the price of what the car is worth, today.

Ill let you know Doug. Thank you
Did they say what happened to it?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Man...I sorry to hear about that. I hope things work out for you.
I plan on doing something to mine in the Fall. I hope it lasts that long. Russian Roulette
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM
qtr_c6z06
Navigator

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Did they say what happened to it?
No. The rep said that they dont know what happened to it. They also said that they might not be able to determine the cause of the engine failure, even if they do open it up.

However, they are entertaining my goodwill requests. I just got of the phone with them and they are going to check the ECU for any re-mapping ; my car is stock.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

GM - please step up and take care of this customer (OP).

Do the right thing, GM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

No. The rep said that they dont know what happened to it. They also said that they might not be able to determine the cause of the engine failure, even if they do open it up.

However, they are entertaining my goodwill requests. I just got of the phone with them and they are going to check the ECU for any re-mapping ; my car is stock.
I know what happened to it. you dropped a valve head. when will ppl get together and do something about this? I will go to court over this issue in a sec. sorry to hear op. but remember it's just 1% failure rate. I'm kidding more like 60% ..another blown ls7 here in lakeland fl last night as well. was in a 01 transam 15k miles

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 07-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this news OP. Hope everything works out for you.

So glad I took my 07 in for the heads fix. Should be done Friday.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

GM will replace it. They just replaced a 2006 LS7 that blew up for a guy in Wisconsin that I know.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Food for thought: Supposing that GM does step up and make a goodwill warranty repair, paying for 50% of the cost. that's still $7,500 out of the OP's pocket for another factory stock LS7 with the very same QC problems that all the rest of the LS7s have.

I respect whatever OP decides, but as for me, THERE IS NO WAY IN HE11 I would pay my hard-earned money to buy another crap engine just exactly like the original crap engine that GM put in the car the first time. No Way!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by clogan
Food for thought: Supposing that GM does step up and make a goodwill warranty repair, paying for 50% of the cost. that's still $7,500 out of the OP's pocket for another factory stock LS7 with the very same QC problems that all the rest of the LS7s have.

I respect whatever OP decides, but as for me, THERE IS NO WAY IN HE11 I would pay my hard-earned money to buy another crap engine just exactly like the original crap engine that GM put in the car the first time. No Way!!!
If he had no mods on it, they will do 100% repair.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Do NOT pay $15k to a dealer. Go to a reputable Corvette shop and get a replacement for 1/2 the price and way more HP
Exactly!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

please. tell me more. I have been looking online. I have found replacement motors, but not at half the price!! they r all a bit more expensive. And i dont trust the stock ls7 motor any more. I would rather have something else in it now. Something with more power but without a crazy cam loop. Any suggestions? thanx
You'd be surprised at how inexpensively you can build one pretty much completely from scratch as I just finished going through this myself:
  • $2800 - Brand new bare LS7 block from GM
  • $300 - used LS7 crank
  • $350 - complete set of used rods and stock pistons
  • $250 - new stock LS7 piston rings
  • $100 - coated rod bearings
  • $250 - balance rotating assembly
  • $150 - main bearings
  • $500 - engine assembly

$4700 total and I'm out running low 10's with the car again.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
You'd be surprised at how inexpensively you can build one pretty much completely from scratch as I just finished going through this myself:
  • $2800 - Brand new bare LS7 block from GM
  • $300 - used LS7 crank
  • $350 - complete set of used rods and stock pistons
  • $250 - new stock LS7 piston rings
  • $100 - coated rod bearings
  • $250 - balance rotating assembly
  • $150 - main bearings
  • $500 - engine assembly

$4700 total and I'm out running low 10's with the car again.
How was your balance job so cheap? Non LS7 rotating assembly but a steel crank, crower rods, forged pistons, etc; set me back $1300 for balance job. I had some block prep and clearancing done as well but I guess it's who you know....

OP, sorry to hear about your engine, this problem is not going anywhere no matter how many "How many people with no problems?" threads are made to gloss over it. Glad we don't have to listen to the prosecution's abuse claims now against OP.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
How was your balance job so cheap? Non LS7 rotating assembly but a steel crank, crower rods, forged pistons, etc; set me back $1300 for balance job. I had some block prep and clearancing done as well but I guess it's who you know....

OP, sorry to hear about your engine, this problem is not going anywhere no matter how many "How many people with no problems?" threads are made to gloss over it. Glad we don't have to listen to the prosecution's abuse claims now against OP.
Not really sure, that's just what they charged me.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette

Depends on where you go, I guess. My entire engine rebuild (block is still perfectly fine) with forged internals is only costing me ~$4200. Granted, that's just the engine and doesn't include any labor to R&R it from the car.

$4200 for a beefed up LS7 as opposed to ~$15K for a stock LS7 is, to me, cheap insurance.

Side note, Sorry, OP, for your troubles. I keep dumping money into mine in the hopes of avoiding this exact catastrophe. At the rate of failure lately, mine will be among the few modded cars with an engine that's original to the car.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 07-10-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

To the OP - sorry for your troubles. I too hope GM repairs this on their dime as the motor is still very low miles for one to consider this to be normal failure... I'm not one who normally bangs the drum, but maybe it is time as a group of owners for us to think about filing a class action lawsuit... There has got to be a few attorneys on this site. GM's response to this mess has been unimpressive to say the least. They have now sheepishly, sort-of, admitted some motors may have a design flaw. We owners are now faced with the burden of having to invest our own money to fix the flaw (to which we are still somewhat guessing what the exact flaw is except that it may be valvetrain dynamics, geometry, QC, or a combination thereof) while simultaneously surrendering our factory warranty. My 2008 has less miles than yours and the warranty has expired, but for those with 2009-2013s - GM has left them in a predicament. I think they are just going to wait this one out as there were, after 2008, very few LS7's built - so the number of warranted LS7's are ~5000 now? It's a lot cheaper for GM to deal with each case than admit to the flaw and fix all of our vehicles. Disappointing, but this seems to be their tactic.

I agree with subfloor - the only reason the LS7 is so expensive is that it was built by hand. It would be 50% less if it were built like the LS2/3. Perhaps the tolerances would be better but considering the problems with the valvetrain, tolerances seem to be the least of GM's problems with that design.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Well...i guess its my turn now. I put a hole in my ls7 motor yesterday. From what i can see, there is a hole in my block. Ill hear from the dealership today. Thanx chevy!!!! I figure ill just cough up 15k+ to get my car running again. And i told myself that i was not going to rob any banks this year. Very disappointing.

Stock 2008 Z06. B&B fusion cat back (stock). Someone sell me a replacement motor.
This scares me and I'm fearless... Mines an '08 w/ 25k miles.

Get notified of new replies

To My engine blew up

Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by bob53
To the OP - sorry for your troubles. I too hope GM repairs this on their dime as the motor is still very low miles for one to consider this to be normal failure... I'm not one who normally bangs the drum, but maybe it is time as a group of owners for us to think about filing a class action lawsuit... There has got to be a few attorneys on this site. GM's response to this mess has been unimpressive to say the least. They have now sheepishly, sort-of, admitted some motors may have a design flaw. We owners are now faced with the burden of having to invest our own money to fix the flaw (to which we are still somewhat guessing what the exact flaw is except that it may be valvetrain dynamics, geometry, QC, or a combination thereof) while simultaneously surrendering our factory warranty. My 2008 has less miles than yours and the warranty has expired, but for those with 2009-2013s - GM has left them in a predicament. I think they are just going to wait this one out as there were, after 2008, very few LS7's built - so the number of warranted LS7's are ~5000 now? It's a lot cheaper for GM to deal with each case than admit to the flaw and fix all of our vehicles. Disappointing, but this seems to be their tactic.

I agree with subfloor - the only reason the LS7 is so expensive is that it was built by hand. It would be 50% less if it were built like the LS2/3. Perhaps the tolerances would be better but considering the problems with the valvetrain, tolerances seem to be the least of GM's problems with that design.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

probably a bad downshift.....

Sorry for your loss OP.

Side note:

I was on the highway yesterday and a guy with an E92 4 door M3 pulled up along side of me, so i did a nice 3rd gear pull to let him hear it (obviously didnt go past the speed limit). We exchange thumbs ups, and he proceeds to tell me he has a Z06 that just dropped a valve and is now in a local shop getting rebuilt. Not sure if he posts here or not, but just seems to be staggering the amount of occurrences. That makes 75% of the people i personally have met with a Z06 face to face that have blown the motor...mine being in the "post headwork still safe for now" category.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

probably a bad downshift.....

Sorry for your loss OP.

Side note:

I was on the highway yesterday and a guy with an E92 4 door M3 pulled up along side of me, so i did a nice 3rd gear pull to let him hear it (obviously didnt go past the speed limit). We exchange thumbs ups, and he proceeds to tell me he has a Z06 that just dropped a valve and is now in a local shop getting rebuilt. Not sure if he posts here or not, but just seems to be staggering the amount of occurrences. That makes 75% of the people i personally have met with a Z06 face to face that have blown the motor...mine being in the "post headwork still safe for now" category.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My engine blew up