Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Intercooler Bricks a Must Do Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K B Vettin
while you are at you should consider a catch can off the valley cover to help with all the oil going in your blower
I do have a catch can!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JC13ZR1
I do have a catch can!
is it cleaning off the throttle body? i can see in pic 6, 10, and 11 that it's not cleaning off the valley plate. you still have the little accordian looking connector in place. i have a dual can set up, one for the TB and the other for the Valley plate. the valley plate has much more vaccuum and when i empty the cans the can in front of the TB will have about a 1/4 inch of oil and the can off the valley plate can will be full. you can just have one but i'd clean off the valley plate if i were you.

check out posts 23-25, 58, 62, 67, & 74 of this thread started by C5Kid
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...zr1-ls9-4.html
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by K B Vettin
is it cleaning off the throttle body? i can see in pic 6, 10, and 11 that it's not cleaning off the valley plate. you still have the little accordian looking connector in place. i have a dual can set up, one for the TB and the other for the Valley plate. the valley plate has much more vaccuum and when i empty the cans the can in front of the TB will have about a 1/4 inch of oil and the can off the valley plate can will be full. you can just have one but i'd clean off the valley plate if i were you.

check out posts 23-25, 58, 62, 67, & 74 of this thread started by C5Kid
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...zr1-ls9-4.html
Right. Just a single can off the throttle body. Looks like I need a dual setup!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Default new parts coming Friday

Thanks to ZbadestZ and Nick at Straightline!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 AM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Nice JIM

Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center also needs thanks to helping with the parts
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Bravo Papa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread with a wealth of information. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to it.
I am looking for 2 replacement bricks because of this exact problem. The dealers have none in inventory and have no line on any in the country. Does anyone know where I might find some new or used units. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bravo Papa
Great thread with a wealth of information. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to it.
I am looking for 2 replacement bricks because of this exact problem. The dealers have none in inventory and have no line on any in the country. Does anyone know where I might find some new or used units. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
I just got last brand new set for Jim....

I will do some more searching

Do you have a list of your mods?

Last edited by ZBADESTZ@Straightline; 02-20-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBADESTZ
I just got last brand new set for Jim....

I will do some more searching

Do you have a list of your mods?
uh oh, some one might have to start making these things if thats the case
Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bravo Papa

Brian
I do know you can buy the whole intercooler lid assembly from GM for around $2k. It comes with bricks, manifold and gaskets pre-installedpre-installed. That's what I was about to do before drew and scoggin-dickey came through for me. Definitely someone needs to start making these. I think Drew is on it!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM
frc
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered a new set from my local dealer a couple weeks ago. They are available.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by frc
I ordered a new set from my local dealer a couple weeks ago. They are available.
What was the price? Do they have more? Last I checked they were on national backorder and dealers were checking with each other.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:48 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Yeah I checked also...Eric can you pm me number where you got them?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Default Back up and running with modded bricks from Straightline

So I received the parts from Nick and ZbadastZ at Straightline and installed them last weekend. The install was pretty simple and the bricks look great! The new tank holds about a gallon additional fluid and I used the fitting with a hose to fill the system all the way and add a little pressure. So far not a lot of logging, but normal driving the delta between intake air temp and IAT2 is between 25 and 35 F. This is slightly better than before.

Here's a few pics:

New bricks with mod:
[IMG][/IMG]

Original tank with bracket added:
[IMG][/IMG]

New tank added bottom view:
[IMG][/IMG]

New tank added view from fender well:
[IMG][/IMG]

New tank fender mounting point - luckily I have the LED sidemarkers so I just pulled the wires out from the socket and taped either side. It's a very tight fit - I recommend taking your sidemarker out while installing the tank and keep track of the wires, then figure out how to wire it up:
[IMG][/IMG]

It's s very nice fit overall - car all back together and running great after changing the sparkplugs too:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I also talked with Dave at D3 performance engineering this weekend. He had my original damaged brick and has been making good progress on a stronger/better custom set of bricks. We will be trying them in my car as soon as they are done. Here's a little teaser:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 PM
gkzr1
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

glad its all back together for ya jim
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM
enufpwr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW-- Nice install and great info!

I just sent my bricks to Nick this weekend for the brick mod after reading all these posts. He should get them Tues/or Wed this week.

I have a few questions.

I was planning to buy the new expansion tank, but only run the stock heat exchanger. I wasn't sure what was a better buy---new expansion tank or upgrade to a Katech heat exchanger?

If I'm looking at this correctly, the original tank stays--bracket installed on the stock tank and the new expansion tank attaches in addition to the stock tank correct?

Also does the front bumper need to be removed for the install or just the driver’s side wheel and inner fender areas?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by enufpwr

I just sent my bricks to Nick this weekend for the brick mod after reading all these posts. He should get them Tues/or Wed this week.

I have a few questions.

I was planning to buy the new expansion tank, but only run the stock heat exchanger. I wasn't sure what was a better buy---new expansion tank or upgrade to a Katech heat exchanger?

If I'm looking at this correctly, the original tank stays--bracket installed on the stock tank and the new expansion tank attaches in addition to the stock tank correct?

Also does the front bumper need to be removed for the install or just the driver’s side wheel and inner fender areas?

Thanks
I would do the above in bold.

Make sure you fill your system and get the air out...Gravity feeding will not get the air out fully.

Good luck...

See ya at Michigan Mile

Get notified of new replies

To Intercooler Bricks a Must Do Mod

Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 PM
enufpwr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBADESTZ
I would do the above in bold.

Make sure you fill your system and get the air out...Gravity feeding will not get the air out fully.

Good luck...

See ya at Michigan Mile
Thanks for the help and info.

4th of July weekend at the Mighigan Mile should be fun. Can't wait to see your ZR1!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 PM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by enufpwr

I have a few questions.

Thanks
No need to remove the bumper - just the fender well liner and the lower cover behind the spoiler. You need a lift to get under there. I've been running the tank for a few weeks now. Several long pulls at TK2K14 earlier this week. IAT2 stays around 25-30F above ambient and recovers fairly quickly. I went over 150F with 70F ambient a couple times. Will test it out at the Texas Mile next weekend.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

pressurizing the system is not good. when hot the system becomes pressurized on its own and adding pressure to fill system fully slows the pump then causes pump failure. it happened to me running at auto club speedway in fontana last month. the lines when cold should not be rock hard.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Intercooler Bricks a Must Do Mod