Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is this a problem or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Is this a problem or not?

An infra-red thermometer shows these temperarure readings on the exhaust manifold.
right side- 280, 290, 320, 310
left side- 280, 300, 260, 360
Those 2 cylinders on the left side that read 260 & 360 seem to be way out of whack. Could this be injectors not flowing correctly? Or something else.
I've seen dyno tuned engines produce X horsepower. But when EGTs for each cylinder were used and air-fuel ratios for each cylinder were corrected there was a 5-10% hp gain. Depending on how far off the EGT was.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Usually a temp this far apart would mean a dead or misfiring cylinder. I'm not sure you can get a correct temp on the stock manifold. You could try investing in plugs and wires and recheck. I would say that if these readings were from headers you have issues.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd rather not invest in a shot in the dark and just swap the plugs and wires with other cylinders and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably shouldn't be using an infrared thermometer to try and check header temps. You certainly shouldn't be 'repairing' your engine based on what an infrared thermometer says.

Get a pro to 'read' your plugs if you think you have cylinder issues, which you probably don't. Good luck on finding one.

If you are determined to measure EGT, put a probe in each exhaust tube and get a real number. And don't pay too much attention to the idle temps (you're checking your 'headers' at idle, right?).

Best advice of all: get rid of the infrared thermometer. Mine also has a laser pointer, making it useful to measure the cat's body temp as he chases it along the wall
Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Tempatures

Though your readings are a little off if something were very wrong the tempature would be way off like mine was and the tempature was like 150 and it turned out to be a broken valve spring. The reading on number 7 is tough as it is hidden behind a bunch of hoses.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Mark200X
You probably shouldn't be using an infrared thermometer to try and check header temps. You certainly shouldn't be 'repairing' your engine based on what an infrared thermometer says.

Get a pro to 'read' your plugs if you think you have cylinder issues, which you probably don't. Good luck on finding one.

If you are determined to measure EGT, put a probe in each exhaust tube and get a real number. And don't pay too much attention to the idle temps (you're checking your 'headers' at idle, right?).

Best advice of all: get rid of the infrared thermometer. Mine also has a laser pointer, making it useful to measure the cat's body temp as he chases it along the wall
Very Good!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I assume these readings are at idle? It's difficult to diagnose an engine with cast iron manifolds as they are not as responsive as stainless tubing.
Check the temps again at 2000prm. The trick is holding the RPM as steady as possible.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Although not the end all to a diagnosis, not a bad idea to use that info in conjunction with other testing. Easy too! A bunch easier than installing an egt in every port! Lol
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mean to get technical on you, but an infrared thermometer's reading is based on the emissivity of the surface you are pointing it at. Emissivity is dependent on color and surface finish. The stainless LS7 manifolds are not usually uniform in color when they are used a while and they are also double walled with stainless mesh insulation between the layers, all of which would give a very ball park temperature reading. Meaningful EGT is typically measured directly in the exiting gas stream with a manifold mounted thermocouple probe with it's measuring tip centered in the hot gas.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:29 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Enough
I don't mean to get technical on you, but an infrared thermometer's reading is based on the emissivity of the surface you are pointing it at. Emissivity is dependent on color and surface finish. The stainless LS7 manifolds are not usually uniform in color when they are used a while and they are also double walled with stainless mesh insulation between the layers, all of which would give a very ball park temperature reading. Meaningful EGT is typically measured directly in the exiting gas stream with a manifold mounted thermocouple probe with it's measuring tip centered in the hot gas.
I agree
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
I agree
No, you didn't.

Originally Posted by erikszr1
Although not the end all to a diagnosis, not a bad idea to use that info in conjunction with other testing. Easy too! A bunch easier than installing an egt in every port! Lol
Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
I assume these readings are at idle? It's difficult to diagnose an engine with cast iron manifolds as they are not as responsive as stainless tubing.
Check the temps again at 2000prm. The trick is holding the RPM as steady as possible.

Isn't checking the temp at 2K only incrementally better than checking it at idle? Running at 2K in neutral the engine is only producing enough power to over come internal engine friction that occurs at that rpm which is probably less than 10HP. Same goes for running at 5 or 7K in neutral. EGTs probably don't mean much unless the engine is under load and the throttle is wide open thus producing max HP for that rpm.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a problem or not?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is this a problem or not?