Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What motor oil do you use in your Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
Howie, As I recall, 12.

However, after pursuing the posts in this thread am reconsidering my analysis vs. change protocol While I have complete confidence in oil analysis am now having difficulty overcoming the ingrained habit of simply changing oil.

So, for the upcoming season have decided to revert to my old ways and change oil after every other event. Lub oil is the lifeblood of any engine so it behooves one to keep it as clean and fresh as possible. Especially in my case in that am getting ready to spend a great deal on money on my engine.
I have been changing mine every 2-3 track days and I put about 350-450 miles a week on it.

DH
Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
If you're going to continue to use M1, I'd go with a 5W40 over the 0W40. If you're going to keep using M1 but you're also concerned about your low oil pressure, you should review the mechanical condition of the engine to see if there is a problem with is causing low oil pressure or swtich to an even higher viscosity M1 such as 15W50.

If you're going to switch, I'd try either the Red LIne 5W30 or the 10W30 or try Driven LS30 (5W30) and evaluate your oil pressure and temperature. If you still are suffering with 40 psi at high rpm and high oil temp, I'd either review the engine's mechanical condition or go to Red line 5W40 or 10W40 or Driven DT40 (5W30)

lastly, on the ZDDP issue, it is true that Red Line and Driven oils have elevated levels of ZDDP, but typically, with roller cam engines, ZDDP content is not an issue like it is with engines having flat tappet cams. In short, you don't need to make ZDDP content a key determining factor in your choice.
Thanks Hib

I think my oil pressure may have been in the high 40's at high RPM/HEAT. I am going to the track this weekend and will be sure to check it closely.

**You never said what psi you thought I should see with oil at 270* and 6500 rpm.

I'm not really comfortable (maybe unfounded) in running any 30wt at the track. But I will take your advise and move to 5w40 in either the Mobil or Redline.

**There are two different Redline 5w40 formulations. Which one?

**Would you be comfortable in running the Redline for at least one additional track day to mitigate the extra cost of the stuff

DH
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Been using Amsoil 5-30 for years. I have seen good UOAs for Amsoil,Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum, as well as Redline.

Go to bobistheoilguy.com and research some of the used oil analysis done on oil brands and blends. Tons of information on there.

Last edited by EX1; 03-19-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What motor oil do you use in your Z06