Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dropped valve!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Look at the hate, look at the personal vitriol based on nothing but fantasy. . . . .
We already know that IF you have done anything at all, that it deviates from stock.

Your silence is not going to change that.

You have either done nothing, or you have done something which deviates from stock. We know that right now.

But my point is, from your prior post, you are unnecessarily concerned about ....

Unlikely... there's a line in Don Henley's New York Minute that would more likely apply.

There are several reasons for not answering. In no particular order:

1. It's a stupid question that also happens to be off topic. Let's say that Person A urges everyone to adopt a steady diet of cheeseburgers. Person B notes that there is scientific evidence showing that is unwise and can lead to long term problems, even if cheeseburger eaters are currently feeling fine. What Person B eats has no relevance on the health aspects of cheeseburgers, and the only reason that Person A would keep insisting to know what B eats would be a) stupidity or b) an attempt to garner personal information to create a personal attack against B.

2. It clearly frustrates you guys to no end that I won't answer it. Therefore, if I answered it your frustration would end. Where's the fun in that? . . . but of course we know other personal data would be demanded, so the interrogation wouldn't really end. It never will. If you let the bullies win they'll just keep coming back for more. That's what bullies do.

3. Most of the personal information I have volunteered on the forum has been used by a few to construct personal attacks against me, ranging from being a GM spy sent here to defend them because I listed Kentucky in my profile (Bowling Green is in KY, see? ), to being a danger to women and children because I drive with worn valve guides (they don't really know that I'm doing that, only that I reported mine worn, but it makes for a good personal attack -- who would listen to a baby killer?), to being a liar in reporting a conversation I had with CHE. Therefore it is unwise of me to share any more personal information on this forum. I will continue to share theories and observations, but any automotive information I gain personally that might reveal details of my personal life will not be shared or made known... it will always come in the form of a generalization. If you give a source, you see, they are often attacked too. Welcome, newbies, to Corvette Forum

I now return you to the never ending saga of personal attacks (against others, for the past few pages) regularly scheduled at this time
No, I am not going to tell you because I don't want to feed the bullies that attack others, or make fun of them, based on personal information/action. Just like your little "pitty potty" remark -- why would I want to give you any information at all that you could even remotely use to make fun of me? Not that I particularly care about myself, but the tactics employed by some here have to be countered/minimized for the good of the forum overall. More than one here has freely admitted that they don't want to speak up and suffer the wrath that they see being heaped upon others. Therefore the information on my issue that you and others desire will not be given, and sharing and learning in the CF community that may have resulted from it will not happen -- all because of the grade schoolyard mentality of a few who want to have it their way or no way.

Of course when it comes to learning, the same group that employs the bully tactics appear to be opposed that also (denial of science, testing, etc) -- which would explain why any opposing opinions or information are so hatefully and/or so childishly shouted down. If those who disagree with them choose to be mute or to leave the forum altogether -- which has happened -- I would presume they consider that a 'win'. Sad.
I understand perfectly well any decision to go outside of the stock heads in the management of this matter in order to protect one's self.

You don't have to be afraid of criticism from me, or anyone else, for having done that, if that's what you did.

And if it's not what you did, and you have basically started the reinstall of another set of bone stock cylinder heads to remedy your problem, well then you should feel free to state that as well.

But we both know, that this is not what you are doing, or have done.

Otherwise, you'd say so.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
We already know that IF you have done anything at all, that it deviates from stock.

Your silence is not going to change that.

You have either done nothing, or you have done something which deviates from stock. We know that right now. [...]
OMFG

See, folks, even if you don't reveal your personal life they will make it up out of thin air and attack you for it anyway

And what bearing does any of this have on the topic? None. I'm simply not doing what they tell me to (reveal personal information), and I am being punished. O. M. G. Be careful, folks... this could be happening to you.

Edited to add: Do you approve of this inquisition, Howie?

Last edited by Mark2009; 05-25-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

OMFG

If I'm wrong, well then say so.

You can't.

There are only three possibilities.

1. You've done nothing, which you and you buddy Paul are indicating is not the case.

2. You've done or are doing something which deviates from stock.

3. You've done, or are doing, something which is consistent with stock.

If you had done, or are doing something which is consistent with stock, well then you would readily...and proudly, in light of your defense of GM in this whole matter, state that.

The only legitimate reason, despite all of your talk, for not stating what you have done, would be if what you are doing actually deviated from stock. Deviated from what GM started out with in the first place.

Anyone in here can figure that out.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-25-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
If I'm wrong, well then say so.

You can't.
The waterboarding continues

Howie? Help ! ! ! !

Last edited by Mark2009; 05-25-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added video clip
Old 05-25-2014, 09:31 PM
songbird
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I lived in Greece, I wouldn't have bought a corvette.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Howie? Help ! ! ! !

Muwahahahaha
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by songbird
If I lived in Greece, I wouldn't have bought a corvette.
Should have bought a lambo or ferrari. Yeah boy those are reliable.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howie? Help ! ! ! !

Dr McCoy Says: "Should we spank it?"
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Attachment 47798344 Attachment 47798345

Truth be toldHis Hygienist is aces
You know this girl has a genic disease which causes her to look like she does. I have nothing but admiration for her because she doesn't let it get to her and keeps on doing her best. To me she is beautiful because of her inner strength.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Look at the hate, look at the personal vitriol based on nothing but fantasy.

Here's your chance . . . .
Well first you would have to advise us that you have addressed your head problem, right !!! That is what I said, right???

Have you fixed your heads or not. Hope you have

DH
Old 05-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

OMFG

See, folks, even if you don't reveal your personal life they will make it up out of thin air and attack you for it anyway

And what bearing does any of this have on the topic? None. I'm simply not doing what they tell me to (reveal personal information), and I am being punished. O. M. G. Be careful, folks... this could be happening to you.

Edited to add: Do you approve of this inquisition, Howie?
Believe it or not I have not control over Ricky. He is free to engage you in any way he wants.

I told you that I would personally not attack you if you told us that you fixed your heads. And I would be opposed to any one who did including Ricky. Also, I would not criticize any path you took, even if it was putting new stock heads on. I just don't want to think about you driving on guides that we have to assume are getting worse all the time.

Again, I am hopping that you did or are in the process of fixing your heads

DH
Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Howie? Help ! ! ! !

Spock, I can't help you if you don't help yourself first.

At this point I would just like to hear that you have fixed your heads. Don't even mention what path you took. Just don't be the next casualty.

DH
Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

so...i've read all the comments..all 15 pages...and still not sure what is the best way to go... got an 07 engine z06.... going into a frame off restoration of a c3 vette... wnt more power... spoke to texas speed/performance... they have a set up where we pop the heads..send them and they do the ss exhaust valves, bronze guides..cnc port, springs...and send heads back... its cheap...compared to new heads

is it solid, hollow, what the heck do i do? wanting just a cam and heads done.. motor has only 12k miles... i'm really confused as who has the answer...

any/all help appreciated...
Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
so...i've read all the comments..all 15 pages...and still not sure what is the best way to go... got an 07 engine z06.... going into a frame off restoration of a c3 vette... wnt more power... spoke to texas speed/performance... they have a set up where we pop the heads..send them and they do the ss exhaust valves, bronze guides..cnc port, springs...and send heads back... its cheap...compared to new heads

is it solid, hollow, what the heck do i do? wanting just a cam and heads done.. motor has only 12k miles... i'm really confused as who has the answer...

FIRST and foremost, do NOT "fix" it IF it ain't broke!!!

Check your heads for guide wear first, if they ain't worn don't do a damn thing. There have been many LS7s which have gone over 150,000 miles with NO issues, yours could be one capable of such a thing and if it is you'd be a fool to mess with it.

IF your guides are worn AND you decide for whatever reason to go with heavy a$$ed SS valves, you will NOT have a problem related to the heavier valves IF you stay away from the LS7's original design for a 7000 rpm redline.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I care as much about valve bounce and its affect on my motor as you care about running hollow OEM valves which will fail sooner and easier than a my SS valves

Your not denying the SS valve is stronger are you

DH
Well SS valves in Madsen's worn guides lasted 10,000 miles, the OEM valves in your original engine lasted 88,000 miles. So the BIG question is for how many miles of your 88,000 were the guides shot? If it was less than 10,000 then the SS valves are stronger, if it was more than 10,000 then I'd say the SS valves aren't stronger.

Point is either way, IF you have worn guides NO valve is going to survive, IF you don't have worn guides either valve will survive. The difference is, SS valves will cause valvetrain instability at 7000 rpm while the OEM valve will not.

Of course if one's grasp of physics is such that they believe valvetrain instability to be inconsequential, then the SS valve could be considered the logical choice

Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] I told you that I would personally not attack you if you told us that you fixed your heads. [...]
Ah, I now understand the distinction. If I do what I am told (divulge the personal information) you won't attack me, and you wouldn't condone others doing it either.

But if I refuse to do what I'm told, then all bets are off.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Well first you would have to advise us that you have addressed your head problem, right !!! That is what I said, right???

Have you fixed your heads or not. Hope you have

DH
Good grief. Mr Panos comes on asking for advice on what he should do with his car, and it turns out to be a school yard debate on whether someone else is willing to state what if anything he might or might not have done with his heads! Why are you guy's fixated here.

What part of it's "none of your business don't you understand".

Get notified of new replies

To Dropped valve!!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

I've been working on my car pretty much the past two days straight (sorry, can't publish what kind of car or what I've been doing to it lest I be subject to interrogation ) but I'm glad that's over... clearly I'm getting behind here

Edited to add: I've got to get a lift... the floor jack / laying on the concrete crap is getting old

Oh: apparently no one on the planet (perhaps other than GM) knows what the thread is on the input fittings for an OEM C6 Z06 oil cooler, but now I do -- they are 3/4" - 16 (TPI), same thread size as -8 AN, but o-ring body (not flare). These are the fittings that screw into the oil cooler; the OEM steel lines from the block that plug into them are another critter altogether.
I've got the stock oil cooler, tank and all stock lines sitting on a shelf unused if you have any need.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:37 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
FIRST and foremost, do NOT "fix" it IF it ain't broke!!!

Check your heads for guide wear first, if they ain't worn don't do a damn thing. There have been many LS7s which have gone over 150,000 miles with NO issues, yours could be one capable of such a thing and if it is you'd be a fool to mess with it.

IF your guides are worn AND you decide for whatever reason to go with heavy a$$ed SS valves, you will NOT have a problem related to the heavier valves IF you stay away from the LS7's original design for a 7000 rpm redline.

Cheers, Paul.

Thank you Paul !!!

is it even worth asking the difference in solid SS valves vs hollow?

i'll just keep following this thread.. thanks again

be well!!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thank you Paul !!!

is it even worth asking the difference in solid SS valves vs hollow?

i'll just keep following this thread.. thanks again

be well!!

so...i've read all the comments..all 15 pages...and still not sure what is the best way to go... ... i'm really confused as who has the answer...

Talk to a cylinder head professional who is familiar with, is experienced with, and whose livelihood depends on his actual success in the management the LS7 valve issue.

Listening to "forum members" and "enthusiasts", "amateurs", in here on this forum, or better put, any forum member in here, Paul, others and myself included, who do not actually make living at that, and who are carrying no risk whatsoever, reputation, business viability, nor otherwise, if yours and other cars crap out after following their advice, is a flat out recipe for disaster.

Their personal reputations do not ride on your's and other's of their customer's fortunes.

You have a mishap following the advice of amateurs such as Paul and myself, and guess what..... we're both going to tell you; "oh well, that's a damn shame bebezote. Good luck getting it fixed". Don't let anyone in here tell you we won't, because that is exactly what you are going to hear. That, and your "guides" must have been worn out, and that you should have done a "wiggle test" before it popped and so ultimately it's your fault that it popped.

That is exactly what you are going to hear, should you follow either of our advice, and end up with a windowed block. I'll tell you up front that's what you are going to hear. I however doubt that he will tell you up front that this is what you are going to hear.

Talk to a professional whose success or failure determines whether or not he puts clothes on his children't backs, and food on his table, if you want to know the best path for going about managing your concerns with regard to this matter.

I'm good enough to tell you that when it comes to making your final decision, you don't need to listen to anyone on this forum on this matter. You need to get on the phone and make some inquiries.

Talk to a professional who has not only experience in building cylinder heads, but more importantly, a pro who has managed the issue in LS7 engines. You owe it to yourself to do that. Talk to a cylinder head professional who is willing to stake his reputation behind what he tells you is the best way of managing this issue.

Ask the professionals who manage this matter, and go from there.

Good luck

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-26-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dropped valve!!