Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Installed MGW Shifter and Shifter Box...but

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:52 PM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed MGW Shifter and Shifter Box...but

If feels good but i may have an issue. in the neutral position i feel a notch just pushing it side to side. It was this way before the MGW. I kinda hoped the MGW would bet rid of the notchyness when in neutral and just pushing it side to side. I remember when i got it, it seemed to smoothly shift side to side in neutral. i feel a "notch" when shifting from 5th to 2nd for example when going in the sidways motion Dont get me wrong the MGW is quite the piece of work! very coool! Dont know if i explained it worth a dam..lol. Anyone else experience this? any help or advise? thanks!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM
OWENMUSTANG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think your issue is the trans, and the transfer bar, not the shifter. I also have a MGW sweet piece!

I'm told the "anti venom mod" will help. Going to a true synthetic trans fluid supposedly helps to some point..

I am planning to do both this spring.. (well, when it gets warm and stops raining!)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:35 PM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG
Think your issue is the trans, and the transfer bar, not the shifter. I also have a MGW sweet piece!

I'm told the "anti venom mod" will help. Going to a true synthetic trans fluid supposedly helps to some point..

I am planning to do both this spring.. (well, when it gets warm and stops raining!)
thanks for the reply! ok I will have to check into this. The Z still drives great but it does feel like it should have less resistance. I bench press over 300 lbs so feel I am going to break something at some point if I don't make it easier..lol. I am sure the fluid with the Mod will help.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG

I'm not sure if the newer transmissions have that adjustable screw/bolt like the older T-56's did to do the anit venom mod. I could be wrong though...
Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 PM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
I'm not sure if the newer transmissions have that adjustable screw/bolt like the older T-56's did to do the anit venom mod. I could be wrong though...
my Z is has the T56...they started the T6060 (i believe) in 2008.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Did you install with the the alignment piece? This perfectly centers the shifter for the box install.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:39 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

I have the exact same setup as the op. it does seem a little "hard" to go side to side. it is the spring that the anti venom mod covers that is causing this. there arent any springs in the shifter to make it harder but being a short throw shifter it will be a little harder. i would be lucky to bench press 130# and I shift mine perfect. you have to be careful with the anti venom mod, dont put too many washers in then the shifter will feel sloppy.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 AM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
Did you install with the the alignment piece? This perfectly centers the shifter for the box install.
yes i did install using the alignment piece.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 AM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Originally Posted by v8sten
I have the exact same setup as the op. it does seem a little "hard" to go side to side. it is the spring that the anti venom mod covers that is causing this. there arent any springs in the shifter to make it harder but being a short throw shifter it will be a little harder. i would be lucky to bench press 130# and I shift mine perfect. you have to be careful with the anti venom mod, dont put too many washers in then the shifter will feel sloppy.
how hard is the anti venom mod to do? i feel this is a must do at this point...thanks!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:20 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Not hard.

http://www.toquez06.com/avm.html
Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 AM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Originally Posted by BearZ06
You guys are awesome! While I am there which synthetic transfluid should I go with?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:08 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by alan_rogers
You guys are awesome! While I am there which synthetic transfluid should I go with?
Amsoil! Should be a link on the side of your screen in the banner --->>
Old 04-09-2015, 07:12 PM
alan_rogers
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Amsoil! Should be a link on the side of your screen in the banner --->>
will do..THANKS!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by v8sten
Guys, I own a '13 427 vert (same drivetrain as Z06) and have been contemplating putting the MGW short throw shifter in. The GM unit leaves a lot to be desired. To that end I'm soliciting input from the Z guys who have done the installation - how do you like it? Is it a good improvement over stock? and what, if any, other shifters have you used in comparison?
Looking forward to the feedback
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2015, 04:08 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Get it you wont be dissapointed
Old 04-10-2015, 05:32 PM
EWK
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short shift, precise throw, quality product. Makes driving the z even more enjoyable.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:49 AM
apredvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by EWK
Short shift, precise throw, quality product. Makes driving the z even more enjoyable.
Thanks - great feed back!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:58 PM
alan_rogers
Instructor

DOOOOO EEEiitt! Its the shizbangsnapsak!!!
Old 04-12-2015, 05:59 PM
vbu2c5
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

I love mine, I got it installed several weeks ago at the England Green shop in Houston and on the drive back to Victoria it took me a while to get used to the shorter throws. I guess after 5 years your muscle memory knows the pattern by heart. It is notchy but that's not a bad thing because you know it's engaged. There is very little play and it pops into the middle position a little snappier when you put it in neutral than the stock shifter.

I got the newer flat stick design ( it's just for cosmetic appeal ) in red with a black **** and it matches my 2 tone red and black interior perfect. I have absolutely no road noise or any trouble getting into any gear or reverse. Like other people have said, if you don't like it ( everyone has their own opinions on things ) you won't have any trouble selling it on the forum because they sell like hotcakes around here.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed MGW Shifter and Shifter Box...but

Quick Reply: [Z06] Installed MGW Shifter and Shifter Box...but