Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What should a Z06 really be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:48 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by C6z06man
I'd love for it to be a track based car. Like said above make it a ZR1. The ZR1 can be for the people that have to have "the best of the best" and "keep up with the jones'" type of people. The Z06 should be focused for towards track duty but still streetable. Just my 2 cents.
Thats funny, i see it the same but the exact opposite. The zr1 badge should be the uber car for track. the z06 should be the keep up with jones's car.

but hey, everybody has an opinion!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 PM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Thats funny, i see it the same but the exact opposite. The zr1 badge should be the uber car for track. the z06 should be the keep up with jones's car.

I think splitting the two out is the important part and I see why GM came out with the one that will bring in more volume first.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 AM
richie427
Racer

Originally Posted by Sengdemund
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t-thing-a-z06/

Still remember when this caused a meltdown
Is that lita ford. or the motley crue, dancer! on the pic. you signed.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:03 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 602 Likes on 312 Posts

The original Z06 was a 1963 RPO code that added a list of track goodies to make the car ready to race. Production of the car ended up being very limited and a "big-tank" '63 Z06 is today very valuable. It is this heritage that leans toward the Z06 being the track car, and the ZR1 to be the "uber 'vette". The first ZR1 was, of course, 4V/cylinder, alloy engiined, grand touring car of the early 90s.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:17 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
The original Z06 was a 1963 RPO code that added a list of track goodies to make the car ready to race. Production of the car ended up being very limited and a "big-tank" '63 Z06 is today very valuable. It is this heritage that leans toward the Z06 being the track car, and the ZR1 to be the "uber 'vette". The first ZR1 was, of course, 4V/cylinder, alloy engiined, grand touring car of the early 90s.
wow i did NOT know that. If that is the case, then i would change my opinion. I did not know the z06 started off as a rpo to add track gear to the cars.

As for the zr1 i think they had thier first appearance in 1970.

And i guess the reason i felt the zr-1 of the 90's was such a badass car was because of its track record it set along with the l98. was it the corvette challenge i cant remember. anyway thanks for the clarification anout the z06 rpo code.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,025 Likes on 5,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
The thing that bugs me is this:
Testing
Every GM car and truck is subjected to certain durability test schedules, and Corvettes go through all of them. Then the fun begins. Corvette has a well-earned reputation for being a car that you can drive out of the showroom and onto a racetrack with little or no modification. To protect that reputation, Corvette engineers do things to the car that would tighten the sphincter muscle of the average driver. All Corvettes, not just the Z06, undergo 250 miles of full-bore autocross testing, 24 hours of road-course testing at competition speeds, and a grueling wide-open throttle test that has the car run at its 175-mph top speed until the gas tank runs dry about 30 minutes later. No question, the Z06 comes up as a very special version of a very special car. Somewhere, Zora Arkus-Duntov is smiling.

This is the accepted testing for the c5, its from the forum here. Clearly they threw it away when they built the c7. I could care less about weight as long as the times are better. Everything could always be better but they hit the right price points for the car. But if you have to buy an 80k car and they wont warranty it, cause you have to swap huge coolers everywhere to get it to run on track, that is more of a point of contention then the square tail lights ever were imo! Yet there is nowhere near the uprising on the forums, cause right, track enthusiasts are in the minority. It isn't like they don't have the math for the btu's created, would be nice if they had properly sized coolers that could be installed to let the car run ***** out for a whole tank of gas. Like as an option or even a dealer installed and warrantied option.

Probably just find a waxer selling theirs used in 5 years and pick it up on the cheap with no miles and cover my own repair costs when i blow it up. I was looking forward to buying a new one near the end of the c7 run, but I cant afford a new vette and the repairs from running on track. The vette being track warrantied was awesome, but its not the case anymore, which is too bad.
I have never seen GM deny a warranty repair on an engine that had added cooling. I know several people who grenaded their new C5Z engines and GM didn't blink at the fact they had added larger radiators and oil coolers. What GM objects to is adding more power through modifications to the engine or the ECM. Larger radiators and oil coolers don't require any of that.

In the old days there were only one or two base cars (Coupe or Vert) and you ordered everything else separately and built the car the way you wanted it. A college student could order a base Vert with the base engine, 4 speed and a radio. That was about as cheap as it got (Verts were cheaper than coupes then). The Go Fast people could order a base car with the power and brake options they wanted. If power steering consumed power you could order the car without power steering so you could get more power to the rear wheels. If you wanted the big engine you just checked off the block on the sheet. Certain engines required you to delete the radio and heater. However, how many L88s, ZL1s, ZR1s or ZR2s did they sell? I think their were several hundred L88s sold over a 3 year span, 2 ZL1s sold. I don't know how many ZR1s were sold but it was a few more than the 12 ZR2s that were sold in the 1971 model year. All of that variability costs money to design, test to meet government test requirements and manufacture. The Japanese cars provided option packages which reduced variability but also lowered costs so the domestic auto manufacturers had to change to compete with the Japanese manufacturers and to get through all of the testing required. How would GM have gotten through all of the fuel economy tests required if they had a roll your own optioning policy on the C7?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-16-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

wow i did NOT know that. If that is the case, then i would change my opinion. I did not know the z06 started off as a rpo to add track gear to the cars.

As for the zr1 i think they had thier first appearance in 1970.

And i guess the reason i felt the zr-1 of the 90's was such a badass car was because of its track record it set along with the l98. was it the corvette challenge i cant remember. anyway thanks for the clarification anout the z06 rpo code.
I think the early 70s cars were called "ZL1s" and they were the aluminum block L88 cars. I believe only a few were made.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 04-16-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:20 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have never seen GM deny a warranty repair on an engine that had added cooling. I know several people who grenaded their new C5Z engines and GM didn't blink at the fact they had added larger radiators and oil coolers. What GM objects to is adding more power through modifications to the engine or the ECM. Larger radiators and oil coolers don't require any of that.

In the old days there were only one or two base cars (Coupe or Vert) and you ordered everything else separately and built the car the way you wanted it. A college student could order a base Vert with the base engine, 4 speed and a radio. That was about as cheap as it got (Verts were cheaper than coupes then). The Go Fast people could order a base car with the power and brake options they wanted. If power steering consumed power you could order the car without power steering so you could get more power to the rear wheels. If you wanted the big engine you just checked off the block on the sheet. Certain engines required you to delete the radio and heater. However, how many L88s, ZL1s, ZR1s or ZR2s did they sell? I think their were several hundred L88s sold over a 3 year span, 2 ZL1s sold. I don't know how many ZR1s were sold but it was a few more than the 12 ZR2s that were sold in the 1971 model year. All of that variability costs money to design, test to meet government test requirements and manufacture. The Japanese cars provided option packages which reduced variability but also lowered costs so the domestic auto manufacturers had to change to compete with the Japanese manufacturers and to get through all of the testing required. How would GM have gotten through all of the fuel economy tests required if they had a roll your own optioning policy on the C7?

Bill
This is where GM needs to have an insurance arm that will insure any car they build. I remember friends who had cash but shied away from the nastiest C3 motors/options because they were almost impossible to insure.

I have always said build it and charge for it. If Chevy wants to sell a supercar, build 100 of them and charge 200K for it or whatever it takes to cover costs. Let the marketing guys figure out how best to sell it to the public. It is tough to make a car too pretty or too fast--but you can make them tough to insure and build too many.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 AM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Everyone, please remember to vote!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...really-be.html
Old 04-18-2015, 10:02 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

This thread is in C6 discussion because the guys who bought C6's are trying to convince themselves that their car hasnt been upstaged.

It's ok guys. It's ok to be sad sometimes
Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 AM
grcor
Racer

Originally Posted by ImpatientlyWaiting
This thread is in C6 discussion because the guys who bought C6's are trying to convince themselves that their car hasnt been upstaged.

Did you even read the OP? It’s about getting Chevrolet to make the C8 Z06 all it can be and not to water it down. You most have you head in the sand if you have not notice what Ford, Honda, and others are about to come out with.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:26 AM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Originally Posted by grcor
Did you even read the OP? It’s about getting Chevrolet to make the C8 Z06 all it can be and not to water it down. You most have you head in the sand if you have not notice what Ford, Honda, and others are about to come out with.
Then why did he post it in the C6 Z06 section? If he was truly thinking forward there is no reason to go all the way to the previous generation forum to post this. It should be in the C7 Z06 discussion. C8 is two generations above the C6.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:37 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Then why did he post it in the C6 Z06 section? If he was truly thinking forward there is no reason to go all the way to the previous generation forum to post this. It should be in the C7 Z06 discussion. C8 is two generations above the C6.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Tnacdrmr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay u win.
I'm heading to the garage in a minute and going to torch my 04&09Z's
Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Why regurgitate Z06 every generation since the C5?

$$$

OP you seem to think everyone with 100Gs to blow on a corvette Gives a **** about racing.

Lets not forget when I bought my 02 Z06 new, they had competition mode and all kinds of other racing crap even in the owners manual.

Yet if certain dealers saw your car at the track and wrote the vin they were Voiding warranties because of Racing.

Do you really think GM gives a **** about history and racing? Some at GM love it and do care but as a whole the corporation could care less. All about selling a car.

Customers bitched about wanting a Convertibles they got i.

Verts always weight more.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 PM
grcor
Racer

Everyone, please remember to vote for the ask Tadge question.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...really-be.html!

Last edited by grcor; 04-26-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What should a Z06 really be?