Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What to do with expiring GMPP and the LS7 cylinder head valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 AM
FL KEYS ON
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to do with expiring GMPP and the LS7 cylinder head valve issue

2006 Z06 and paid an extra $3K for the GMPP that will expire next month (May 2015) --- never had to use it for anything.
The car has been babied and now has 10K miles from mostly weekend drives - and it's all stock except for the battery and wheels-tires.
The car runs great and never had any issues, but reading around here it might be good to have piece of mind with GM's LS7 valve issue.

1. Take it to the dealer first? If they even find an issue, it will probably be a band-aid fix anyway, right? We know GM does not want to do any more than they have too. Reading Hib's post about GM may not use that wiggle test anymore for warranty probably means GM will charge the customer even more money to pull heads off just to check? Flip side it would be nice to use the $3K already spent for some form of protection. Roll of the dice to get a band-aid fix? Not sure what to do yet. Also seeing post on here around here it looks like even American Heritage Performance was/is able to honor GMPP, but they are clear across the country from me and probably need the car in their shop to process that type of claim I'd imagine. Looks like AHP does some excellent work and support for the LS7 though, too bad they are not in FL.

2. Bite the bullet and spend yet more out of pocket money $$$ to fix it for piece of mind (right after GMPP expires). Find someone more local that is not a dealer? This would be more permanent non band-aid type fix, but not using the $3K already spent for GMPP is a little frustrating.

So were you guys able to do anything just before warranty expires?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-pete-fl.html

Theses guys are around the block from you. I believe they could do a wiggle test.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by FL KEYS ON
2006 Z06 and paid an extra $3K for the GMPP that will expire next month (May 2015)...So were you guys able to do anything just before warranty expires?
A GMPP can be renewed once after initial coverage, is this the second renewal? You didn't say. If not contact our forum GMPP dealer & renew.

I'm on the second GMPP term on my '08 Z06 w/42K to 80K, after it expires I'm officially out-of-warranty. If after expiration I decided the car's a keeper I'd have the heads & guides thoroughly checked just to be on the safe side, no questions asked. Well spent money, IMO.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat. My extended warranty on my '08' expires in August. Should I extend again? Quoted $2,800 for three years more. But then the warranty applies to the whole car. Yes a valve could drop and my engine would be covered. Also transmission, electrical, ect would also be covered less $100 ded. At this time I'm leaning towards extending the warranty, but the valve issue still bothers me. Just don't know.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:08 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Sorry but how do you keep a car you don't trust....If I believed all the doom and gloom reference the LS7 my 13Z with 11k on it would be gone warranty or not. jmho
Old 04-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

2006 Z06 and paid an extra $3K for the GMPP that will expire next month (May 2015) --- never had to use it for anything.
The car has been babied and now has 10K miles from mostly weekend drives - and it's all stock except for the battery and wheels-tires.
The car runs great and never had any issues, but reading around here it might be good to have piece of mind with GM's LS7 valve issue.

1. Take it to the dealer first? If they even find an issue, it will probably be a band-aid fix anyway, right? We know GM does not want to do any more than they have too. Reading Hib's post about GM may not use that wiggle test anymore for warranty probably means GM will charge the customer even more money to pull heads off just to check?

Yes, if you want to do that you have to pay up front no matter what shop does the work. No way around that. If a problem is found GMPP will pay to replace the heads as GM's current guidance is to replace the head if a guide is out of tolerance. They do not recommend repairing the guide. Figure about 50% more cost than somebody doing the wiggle test the way it is described. Most dealers quoted me in the range of $900 to $1100 to do the wiggle test (think of replacing 16 valve seals plus the labor to hook up and measure each valve properly). Pulling the heads, checking them and reinstalling will run about $1500 including labor and materials.

Flip side it would be nice to use the $3K already spent for some form of protection. Roll of the dice to get a band-aid fix?

A dealer shop will do what the GM Service Manual recommends not a band aid fix. Since they warranty their work they insist it has to be to GM specs. If you want different you may pay more and have to sign the repair order stating you didn't follow their recommendations.

Not sure what to do yet. Also seeing post on here around here it looks like even American Heritage Performance was/is able to honor GMPP, but they are clear across the country from me and probably need the car in their shop to process that type of claim I'd imagine. Looks like AHP does some excellent work and support for the LS7 though, too bad they are not in FL.

Any reputable shop can work with GMPP. GMPP asks them to call and request an account and start the claim process. Then GMPP sends an adjuster to look over the shop and to review the parts and findings. When I did this at a Motorsports Shop in Mooresville, NC it took a day from the time the first phone call was made until the approval came through. That included the time for an adjustor to travel from Atlanta to Mooresville, take pictures of the shop, talk to the owner, look at my heads and write/submit a report. Then the shop owner got a notice the heads would be replaced and for him to send an estimate of the cost. Once he did that he received authorization from GMPP to proceed.

2. Bite the bullet and spend yet more out of pocket money $$$ to fix it for piece of mind (right after GMPP expires). Find someone more local that is not a dealer? This would be more permanent non band-aid type fix, but not using the $3K already spent for GMPP is a little frustrating.

So were you guys able to do anything just before warranty expires?
As I mentioned before you will not get a band aid fix at a dealership. Right now if any guide clearance exceeds GM's spec of .0037 GMPP will replace the head just as the GM shop manual says to do. There is clear guidance from GM and they follow it. On my repair I had two intake guides that read .0039 on one head. All other guides were within spec. although some were in the .003 range. GMPP to my surprise authorized replacement of both heads.

Dealerships don't do machine work so subcontract that work to a local shop. That can slow things down when working with a dealership since the process of communicating, scheduling and coordinating with the other shop needs to happen to get things done.

Bill
Old 04-15-2015, 01:50 PM
mayracn
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This issue is that people are saying that the replacement heads are just as bad or could even be worse than what your replacing. Im in the same boat im still under powertrain warranty and then have GMPP for 3 years after. Ive already taken it to the dealer because i hear a bit of ticking and so far nothing but ill just keep paying attention to it if it gets any worse. I really just might throw some brodix heads on it and be done.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Same thing here...one year left on my GMPP for my '09 w/ 15K miles. I plan to take my car to AHP for inspection prior to expiration as they are a GMPP authorized repair facility. If my guides prove to be bad, I will elect for their head package #4, and just pay the difference above what GMPP doesn't cover for the work. Regardless, I will most likely extend the warranty as well...as someone already stated, other components can fail as well.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com
Old 04-15-2015, 03:32 PM
mayracn
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If i wasn't in Illinois Id take my car there to. I already checked mine and have a bunch that are out. Its just getting it covered now.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:38 AM
FL KEYS ON
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yeah Powertech Performance in St. Pete might be just what is needed Undy!! Don't have much time left on GMPP, but may need to see how that works out as it would be nice to use it.

Landru: The GMPP ran out. Because the car had 2100 miles on it back at the time, the dealer sold me a GMPP plan and it expires mid next month. Now that it has high miles and the age, I strongly doubt GMPP could be renewed. Besides, I never had to use GMPP anyway. It's actually been a great car.

Mylastcorvette: I just have to many other side projects going on or else I just might have tried to grasp at the wrenches as well, but on the other hand the shops that do these often know the short cuts or best methods. But not making use of a $3K plan isn't very wise either I suppose or at least try to use it.

I'm at the cross roads right now Desert - no more GMPP option to hold onto after next month. We see. I have to take one of the directions soon.

Comm'on ATC399. You know the dealio. It's one of those drive you totally crazy love / hate things right!!! lol Actually I thought about selling my Z06 multiple times through the years, but go take it for a spin and change my mind. Don't know, maybe I'm nuts. These are awesome cars!

If the dealer finds an out of spec valve and replaced the head with a new one, the new one will only develop the same issue in time being it comes from the original GM source where is seems the places that machine work have a more permanent fix. Again it's a roll of the dice to pay out of pocket cost just to check, but if there is an issue at least it's covered under GMPP in full which is what I'd like. Thanks for sharing your experiences Bill.

Yes, I've read so many post here on the positive work done by American Heritage Performance ... and the only shop that offers the harder pm guide. Seems like they are an excellent source for support.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Yes, the one thing you don't do is reward them by buying a C7. I know that's now off the table for me because of GM's terrible handling of this issue with the LS7. I doubt seriously I will ever buy another Corvete and will probably stop buying GM for good after a lifetime of driving nothing but GM. They really need to get to the bottom of this and fix it. Enough is enough.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yeah Powertech Performance in St. Pete might be just what is needed Undy!! Don't have much time left on GMPP, but may need to see how that works out as it would be nice to use it.

Landru: The GMPP ran out. Because the car had 2100 miles on it back at the time, the dealer sold me a GMPP plan and it expires mid next month. Now that it has high miles and the age, I strongly doubt GMPP could be renewed. Besides, I never had to use GMPP anyway. It's actually been a great car.

Mylastcorvette: I just have to many other side projects going on or else I just might have tried to grasp at the wrenches as well, but on the other hand the shops that do these often know the short cuts or best methods. But not making use of a $3K plan isn't very wise either I suppose or at least try to use it.

I'm at the cross roads right now Desert - no more GMPP option to hold onto after next month. We see. I have to take one of the directions soon.

Comm'on ATC399. You know the dealio. It's one of those drive you totally crazy love / hate things right!!! lol Actually I thought about selling my Z06 multiple times through the years, but go take it for a spin and change my mind. Don't know, maybe I'm nuts. These are awesome cars!

If the dealer finds an out of spec valve and replaced the head with a new one, the new one will only develop the same issue in time being it comes from the original GM source where is seems the places that machine work have a more permanent fix. Again it's a roll of the dice to pay out of pocket cost just to check, but if there is an issue at least it's covered under GMPP in full which is what I'd like. Thanks for sharing your experiences Bill.

Yes, I've read so many post here on the positive work done by American Heritage Performance ... and the only shop that offers the harder pm guide. Seems like they are an excellent source for support.

You could have them do it and if the test shows significant wear you can return to your GM dealership and request them to pull the heads to measure on your nickel, with the understanding that GM picks up the replacement costs if they prove out of spec. Talk to your dealership first before setting it in motion though.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Yes, the one thing you don't do is reward them by buying a C7. I know that's now off the table for me because of GM's terrible handling of this issue with the LS7. I doubt seriously I will ever buy another Corvete and will probably stop buying GM for good after a lifetime of driving nothing but GM. They really need to get to the bottom of this and fix it. Enough is enough.
What is so terrible about GM's handling of the problem? All they have is a bunch of internet rumor and no solid data. In fact, that is all we have as well. How many valve guides have been replaced that didn't need to be replaced just due to internet rumors?

When chicken littles are running around yelling the sky is falling is there any thing real that can really be done.

Bill
Old 04-16-2015, 06:07 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

Had an initial GMPP 6yr. 60K policy on my '08 that expired last July. Just prior to expiration I renewed for 3 more years and 24K miles. I extended because of the head scare even though the valves have been checked. I did not expect to have a tranny problem but did. Money well spent since I currently have 50K+ miles on my Corvette and have over two more years of coverage.

Extended warranty policies are a tough call but worked in my favor this time.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:48 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What is so terrible about GM's handling of the problem? All they have is a bunch of internet rumor and no solid data. In fact, that is all we have as well. How many valve guides have been replaced that didn't need to be replaced just due to internet rumors?

When chicken littles are running around yelling the sky is falling is there any thing real that can really be done.

Bill
Sorry but . After 7 years of this can there be any doubt that there is a real LS7 head problem? It's possible that heads have been repaired needlessly but with all the known windowed blocks who wants to take a $15,000 chance. I know this thread has made a turn and soon will/should be locked. I was in the same place a few years ago with my Z06 warranty expiring and concerned about the heads. This was before GM even mentioned any problem or any kind of check for a problem. I sold it and moved on.

Last edited by BearZ06; 04-16-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 PM
chadyellowz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill
because they say their isn't a problem...funny you call it chicken little when your own car blew sliding in oil. 2nd engine 2 intakes out of spec. you have seen 8 guys blow there engine. I have 35 sets of stock ls7 heads here that either dropped a valve or is ready to. I've posted this info on this forum for over 5 years and countless guide sheets have been posted by ppl that had their heads done my shops like wcch before the valve dropped even katech posts a car about every month. rumors my *** being how this is internet rumors save your money and put those out of spec heads on your car..if not then stop trying to cover it up. and telling ppl its all internet hype, how could you say that? I was sliding in my own oil on the interstate, your talking about ppls lives when these let go.

Last edited by chadyellowz; 04-17-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Bill
That sounds like a GM answer to me. As others have said, I think it is pretty hard to ignore the number of LS7's that have let go. Show me another recent Corvette engine that has developed this reputation. All these years and still no clue as to the origin of the problem? GM has no solid data because they either don't want to let it out or they don't want to know. They DO want this issue to go away and are doing everything possible to see that happens. Yes, people are having work done on their cars because they don't want to join the ranks of those that have lost their engines. Internet rumor? The reputation of the LS7 has tanked because of this. I can't even go to a friggin car show anymore and not spend half the day discussing the valve issue, If GM really cared about any of it they WOULD get to the bottom of it and get it fixed. Instead they are letting time and their own silence speak volumes. With actions like that, they are going to lose loyal customers, and they can put that C7 of theirs where the sun don't shine. No way I would buy into this again..

Get notified of new replies

To What to do with expiring GMPP and the LS7 cylinder head valve issue

Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds like a GM answer to me. As others have said, I think it is pretty hard to ignore the number of LS7's that have let go. Show me another recent Corvette engine that has developed this reputation. All these years and still no clue as to the origin of the problem? GM has no solid data because they either don't want to let it out or they don't want to know. They DO want this issue to go away and are doing everything possible to see that happens. Yes, people are having work done on their cars because they don't want to join the ranks of those that have lost their engines. Internet rumor? The reputation of the LS7 has tanked because of this. I can't even go to a friggin car show anymore and not spend half the day discussing the valve issue, If GM really cared about any of it they WOULD get to the bottom of it and get it fixed. Instead they are letting time and their own silence speak volumes. With actions like that, they are going to lose loyal customers, and they can put that C7 of theirs where the sun don't shine. No way I would buy into this again..

I agree with this and have for a few years now. I'm also surprised like you and Chad regarding Dearborn's post. Any serious cylinder head guy will tell you that about all factory spec ls7 heads they evaluate are out of spec. I'm so happy I found out about Kohle and AHP on this forum as Kohle was really sincere while offering his solution to the LS7 head issue. Anybody that is trying to figure out what to to do after their warranty expires should at least give AHP a call while figuring out what to do. Best thing i did was take my car there.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Agree. .....I wouldn't buy a c7 even if it wasn't getting it's *** kicked on the street......or I did like the way it looks, lol.

And as for bill, he either has alzheimers or he's devoid of all integrity.

Any and all opinions made by bill should be looked upon with contempt..... As his stance and personal actions have previously shown.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

My '07 with 40k or more on the clock is in the shop right now getting the heads replaced under GMPP. I still have about 33k left in warranty, so obviously I LOVE my GMPP right about now.

Up until I forecast to the service dept the possibility of a mushroomed valve tip due to the rocker out of line on it (roller bearings broke and so it canted), all they wanted to crow about was "internet hype".

I'm sick of dealerships and GM in general, burying their heads in the sand and saying it's all in my head and then blaming the Internet.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What to do with expiring GMPP and the LS7 cylinder head valve issue