Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Mild 2 Wild drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:17 AM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Mild 2 Wild drain

I know there are the 2 ways to install it, one of which eliminates drain. Question: When you install it the "regular" way, all claims and readings seem to say unless the car is not started "for weeks" should not be any issues with battery draining. Has anyone had the issue with the battery running down?

I have only had the car a month (2010 with 4900 miles on it) and will check the health of the battery. I installed the M2W two weeks ago and it worked well, and the car has always started with no hesitation whatsoever.
It was started and ran just 5 days ago. Went to start it tonight, literally 1 second of cranking, and then nothing. Lights were bright but then faded. Everything shut down.
DIC started cycling thru all the functions indicating check this and check that which I assume is the normal shut down cycle when a battery goes low. Nothing able to be operated with remote either.

I just wonder if the M2W is putting more drain on the battery than is stated because up till now, no issues. Certainly does not seem like it should.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:16 AM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Replace Battery

Mine is also a 2010 with the original battery. I had a similar issue but no M2W switch installed. In fact when the dealer went to move out of showroom, it would not start. After about a week of setting, mine would not start. I replaced the battery with an Optima and no further issues. Your battery is, after all, 5 years old.

Ed
Old 09-02-2015, 08:42 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I've never had the drain issue with the M2W.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 AM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same issue as Ed. 2010 4500 miles. I think it's just that time.
The following users liked this post:
LGK-SD (09-11-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 AM
LGK-SD
Pro

Thanks guys. Yeah the "6 year" sticker on the AC Delco battery has seen its day. But also re-read the reminder that it is recommended that when the car is shut off that the M2W is in the "Off" (Wild) mode.

Not gonna turn this into a battery post (no pun intended) but have heard and seen some failures with Optima's in the last year. I'm sure it's somewhere on the CF but apparently high demand for Optima's caused some sloppy manufacturing.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a drain issue on my Z06 with the M2W plugged in normal. On both my ZR1's I wired the optional way and no issues since. So, yes it does pull juice if plugged in normally.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
LGK-SD (09-11-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 04:46 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

With the car off, plug a multimeter set to millivolts into the socket and see what it reads. Sounds like it will read something more than zero which means a drain, and maybe more than it should for a small device of this nature. Just my 2 cents.

By the way my battery was bad. You are probably familiar with this but AAA guys now have the modules that they connect directly to the battery that measure the in-depth health of the battery, the alternator and the starter. And then when they do jump you they can see what the battery does as far as (in my case) quickly losing required voltage.
Before they even give you that jump start you asked for, they do this as a routine action which is real helpful.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Without a battery tender, my guess is the M2W installed "the regular way" (and "off") will draw-down the battery charge over a couple of weeks.
I seem to recall this was noted in the instructions ?

(my car is on a tender 24/7 when not being used, so no issues with respect to my M2W)
Old 09-03-2015, 12:54 PM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I had my LEO electronic warfare plugged into the lighter outlet. Would forget to unplug for a couple of days but the power drain would not phase the Optima. When I installed the M2W device, in the passenger floor fuse panel, I changed the lighter power to ignition OFF vice the continuous ON.

Ed
Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 AM
swhutson2005
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Without a battery tender, my guess is the M2W installed "the regular way" (and "off") will draw-down the battery charge over a couple of weeks.
I seem to recall this was noted in the instructions ?

(my car is on a tender 24/7 when not being used, so no issues with respect to my M2W)
Spend a little more on a dashlogic, and you get the mild to wild with your mirror switch (always loud, factory mode, and always quiet modes), plus get to display all other car data (selectable).
Old 09-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ thanks for the suggestion !
Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 PM
LloydP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LGK-SD
I know there are the 2 ways to install it, one of which eliminates drain. Question: When you install it the "regular" way, all claims and readings seem to say unless the car is not started "for weeks" should not be any issues with battery draining. Has anyone had the issue with the battery running down?

I have only had the car a month (2010 with 4900 miles on it) and will check the health of the battery. I installed the M2W two weeks ago and it worked well, and the car has always started with no hesitation whatsoever.
It was started and ran just 5 days ago. Went to start it tonight, literally 1 second of cranking, and then nothing. Lights were bright but then faded. Everything shut down.
DIC started cycling thru all the functions indicating check this and check that which I assume is the normal shut down cycle when a battery goes low. Nothing able to be operated with remote either.

I just wonder if the M2W is putting more drain on the battery than is stated because up till now, no issues. Certainly does not seem like it should.
I have had mine 4 years M2W wired normal was the first mod.
If I am not going to drive it for more than about a week, I plug the tender into the cigarette lighter.

I drove it Aug 18, then again on Sept 5 without using the battery tender (original battery) and it started ok but I think of anything over a week without the tender as iffy.

Get notified of new replies

To Mild 2 Wild drain

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Mild 2 Wild drain