Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Well my motor decided to exit the building

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 AM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is to a speedy "recovery". I hate to use the word minimal, but I'm glad the damage was minimal, all things considered.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I think that's too many cubes for a stock blower to be honest.
Agreed, with the stock blower you don't need/want so many cubes. From my experience the best combo is big bore/short stroke, so go with a sleeved block (you wouldn't believe how much difference that will make because of rigidity) 4.125" bore and stock 3.622" stroke which will give you 6.4L or 388 cubes...you'll need a custom piston, Wisco can easily do that. AND I don't believe there's any reason to go away from the ti rods, particularly if you only need to buy one to get going again. Since you'll need custom pistons the .985" pin will not be an issue.

SO, was that arp bolt actually broken, or was it a pistion (pin) failure?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:03 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeast99
Here is to a speedy "recovery". I hate to use the word minimal, but I'm glad the damage was minimal, all things considered.
Thanks man and agreed that it was minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Agreed, with the stock blower you don't need/want so many cubes. From my experience the best combo is big bore/short stroke, so go with a sleeved block (you wouldn't believe how much difference that will make because of rigidity) 4.125" bore and stock 3.622" stroke which will give you 6.4L or 388 cubes...you'll need a custom piston, Wisco can easily do that. AND I don't believe there's any reason to go away from the ti rods, particularly if you only need to buy one to get going again. Since you'll need custom pistons the .985" pin will not be an issue.

SO, was that arp bolt actually broken, or was it a pistion (pin) failure?

Cheers, Paul.

Completely agreed on your thoughts for the motor and most likely the direction I will be going. I tend to break anything and everything so I'll need to over build it for sure.

Pretty sure the bearing that seized from what we picked up off the track and the symptoms of the car as it was making the run was that the crank bearing is the one that seized. I think its pretty safe to say that this is only an assumption since trying to figure out for 100% that the failure was that is going to be impossible.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:08 PM
300zib
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Hurts to watch that man. Glad you're ok and cant wait to see her back up and running.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Oh yaaaaay me the car is going viral on facebook smh
Old 09-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Just stick a 5.3L in there with a turbo and be done already!!!!! Probably cost you $5000 bucks tops and be uber fast! Done installed you're welcome.

P.S. sorry about the car buttercup! I'd leave the bumper as is for character.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Just stick a 5.3L in there with a turbo and be done already!!!!! Probably cost you $5000 bucks tops and be uber fast! Done installed you're welcome.

You can't call him buttercup. That's reserved word, my gf calls me that and she is not you. I like the idea about leaving the bumper with the fire brand for awesome character. Still feel bad for whatcop. Should set up a crowd source fund and contribute.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:06 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fartpipe

Whoa, this guy lives.... Have you come to your sense yet and bought another vette yet? Your douchery is missed boo boo bear

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
You can't call him buttercup. That's reserved word, my gf calls me that and she is not you. I like the idea about leaving the bumper with the fire brand for awesome character. Still feel bad for whatcop. Should set up a crowd source fund and contribute.

That crowdfunding is going to seem real appealing once I get my quote from vengeance lol
Old 09-27-2015, 04:26 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by venomws7
Very sorry to see this glad you're ok man.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Some bad luck but it will be back better than ever!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

My favorite reason according to the internet experts why my car blew up: That's what happens when your high in 6th gear and try to shift down thinking it'll help slow you down. Smh poor vett

Damn 6th gear to go 151mph?!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:51 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

My favorite reason according to the internet experts why my car blew up: That's what happens when your high in 6th gear and try to shift down thinking it'll help slow you down. Smh poor vett

That comment is dumber than some of the ones I've seen on YouTube from GTR fanboys. I'm sure who ever commented that "is an expert at driving fast cars"...
Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Clearly this must be true because you know all vettes have like a 7:1 rear end ratio.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:21 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by K B Vettin
This might sound crazy but you should look into a lsx 454. 6bolt heads, forged bow tie block and forged everything else. I bet you could slap that zr1 blower on it. Motor comes with 11.1 compression so you would have to turn down the boost but as a crate motor is under 10k.
Exactly what I was thinking before he said he wanted to reuse his LS9 blower setup. On the other hand, running the LS9 blower at stock speed on a 454 would result in less boost...

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Careful with the LSx454s you are really pushing the bore for a boosted application unless it is the tall desk version! Also it will weigh a ton. Why not go ERL 427?
Well, GM says the LS9 block is maxed out at 900hp (guess they weren't kidding)...whereas the iron LSX blocks, as bored, are good to go for at least 1500hp. That extra weight may be very well spent. At least it would be well-placed, low in the car.

I think that's too many cubes for a stock blower to be honest.
Good point...and my answer to that is that there is also an LSX 376 available. Other than a probable cam change, all you'd have to do would be to bolt on your LS9 intake/blower setup...and a new oil pan, obviously.

Last edited by 1analguy; 10-10-2015 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Well my motor decided to exit the building