Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GMPP stage 3 cam, will I have piston to valve clearance issues on a stock LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 02:43 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v8sten
I agree with having the heads checked out, that is a very important aspect, not to overlook.

Based of what you are saying here, seriously look into the BTR Stg 4 cam. Here is my idle video of this cam. I also think it is important to note that a guy by the screen name of LS7BUD is running this cam and he is a top contender for the #1 spot in the, 6 speed, n/a position running a 9.84 @ >140 mph
Thanks, when you guys talks about having the heads checked I guess that is regarding the valve guide issue? I know a lot of people have problems with that, but is it so that everybody would run in to it sooner or later or are some engines actually OK? I saw a video showing how to check the valve play while the heads are still on the engine in the car, is that an OK way to do it or would you need to remove the heads to be absolutely sure?

For my understanding, could you please explain the differences between the GMPP stg 3 and the BTR stg 4 when looking at the numbers and elaborate a bit on what numbers makes what difference? I consider myself a fairly technical guy, I built a car myself at least, but I have never looked much into the world of cam shafts even though I certainly understand the basic function of one
Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

It's pointless to debate whether or not 'some' engines may or many not be affected. Just have yours inspected. You should be pulling the heads to do a cam swap anyway. You can sneak one out and back in without pulling the heads, but I would not. I'd also change lifters.

You will want to have an automotive machinist or engine builder disassemble the heads. Check valve stem OD to valve guide ID clearance. Also check valve seat run out, if the guides are not worn to the point you can't fit a pilot into the guides. Once these checks are complete, you then will know if further work is required.

Camshaft theory is wildly complex. To answer your last question with any detail....it would take a thousand-word document (I have a couple that I've written over the years if you want). In a nutshell, you want to pay attention to total lift, duration at .050", and LSA (lobe separation angle). With these three data points, you can then figure out a close value of what the total valve overlap is. It will give you a rough idea of how the engine will behave. Valve overlap is the period of time in crankshaft rotational degree that both valves are open at the same time. This is when the piston is approaching TDC exh stroke, and when it starts going down the cylinder during the intake stroke. An increase in overlap will build more power at higher rpm, but will adversely affect power at low rpm.

There are some very crude rules of thumb for overlap. I have long since given up on them. But generally speaking, if you keep the .050" overlap under 15 deg, for this engine, lower rpm performance will be OK. Not great, but OK. I'd suggest you keep it under 10 deg. But....these engines with OEM cylinder head porting, need a lot more exh duration than intake. The intake flows incredibly well, but the exh does not. I'd keep exh duration at least 20 deg more than intake. If you have the heads ported, and the exhaust side worked....then you can get away with less exh duration, which will effectively reduce overlap - allowing you to run more intake duration. - It's a domino effect of sorts.

I would be more conservative with your car than a 3200 pound corvette. As vehicle weight is decreased, rolling resistance is as well. This will effectively unload the engine at low rpm cruising speeds. An unloaded engine with an aggressive camshaft will tend to behave worse than a loaded engine. That is why I gave you the camshaft recommendation earlier.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by v8sten
HOLY Schnikes talk about a split duration!!!! and that LSA!!! hope you dont need vacuum or plan on any power adders. Those HP/TQ numbers have to be at the crank. I personally dont think you will have a ptv issue, but if you are unsure always measure

https://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfo...arts/k88958723

Specifically released as a cam upgrade for the LS7 engine, these cams will work with all LS style engines --- nasty sound and big torque. Also includes 12499225 LS7 lifters.

Advertised Duration (I/E) 294/335
Durartion @ 0.050 233/276
LSA 107
Lift (w/1.8) 0.630/0.630

LS7 engine-dyno results with "Stage 3" cam show;

600hp @ 6800rpm
526ft-lbs @ 4900rpm over 450ft-lbs from 3200 to 6800rpms

I've driven a car with this cam on the street. No vacuum issues.

The PtoV will technically clear, but it is way too close in our opinion.

The K501 cam will make more power and have FAR better drivability than the GM Stage 3. Also it has plenty of PtoV.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 10-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Reminds me of this one a friend built. I tuned and helped with it. GM crate LS6. 228/228 cam. Made great power, and was scary as hell to drive.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

What a beautiful car!
I would pull the heads and send them to either American Heritage or WCCH.
I would install a Katech K501 camshaft as Jason recommended. Lots of great results from folks using this cam.

Be careful with your dual springs and Ti retainers. Lots of failures out their. Remember, a broken spring and a dropped valve in a cast piston motor can ruin your day. A set of PSI Endurance Beehive springs (1511 or 1515) would be a much better choice. The 1511 spring is shorter and will work with your LS1 titanium retainers (there are no LS7 1.959" height titanium retainers). You can use your OEM steel retainers with the taller 1515 spring and only give up a few grams while gaining some additional height and spring pressure.

There are some great dual springs available also. However, as you increase seat pressure you can overwhelm OEM LS7 lifters and rockers.
Best of luck!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
Yeah, essentially, 335 out of 360 degrees, this cam has an exhaust valve off the seat, which means it will make GREAT power up top but it will not make any cylinder pressure until it reaches a very high engine speed.

The forever open valve will keep bleeding the pressure off!

Then there is the 40.5 degrees of overlap @ .050"
335 out of 720 degrees. The valve will be closed for 385 degrees.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The beauty of having it in your hands is you can try it. It will still cost you consumables and gaskets and a Heck of a Lot of tuning time, but worst that will happen is that you pull it out and put something else in.

However, I am in the camp that your car (Factory 5?) has enough HP already given the chassis. That is a good looking car and vary trick, but my Race Car often ran in the same Race Heat with Factory Five Racing and they really don't look good after a major shunt or off. There is not a lot of steel up front other than the engine and it is pretty easy to shed a lot of that steel if you hit something hard.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael_D
It's pointless to debate whether or not 'some' engines may or many not be affected. Just have yours inspected. You should be pulling the heads to do a cam swap anyway. You can sneak one out and back in without pulling the heads, but I would not. I'd also change lifters.

You will want to have an automotive machinist or engine builder disassemble the heads. Check valve stem OD to valve guide ID clearance. Also check valve seat run out, if the guides are not worn to the point you can't fit a pilot into the guides. Once these checks are complete, you then will know if further work is required.

Camshaft theory is wildly complex. To answer your last question with any detail....it would take a thousand-word document (I have a couple that I've written over the years if you want). In a nutshell, you want to pay attention to total lift, duration at .050", and LSA (lobe separation angle). With these three data points, you can then figure out a close value of what the total valve overlap is. It will give you a rough idea of how the engine will behave. Valve overlap is the period of time in crankshaft rotational degree that both valves are open at the same time. This is when the piston is approaching TDC exh stroke, and when it starts going down the cylinder during the intake stroke. An increase in overlap will build more power at higher rpm, but will adversely affect power at low rpm.

There are some very crude rules of thumb for overlap. I have long since given up on them. But generally speaking, if you keep the .050" overlap under 15 deg, for this engine, lower rpm performance will be OK. Not great, but OK. I'd suggest you keep it under 10 deg. But....these engines with OEM cylinder head porting, need a lot more exh duration than intake. The intake flows incredibly well, but the exh does not. I'd keep exh duration at least 20 deg more than intake. If you have the heads ported, and the exhaust side worked....then you can get away with less exh duration, which will effectively reduce overlap - allowing you to run more intake duration. - It's a domino effect of sorts.

I would be more conservative with your car than a 3200 pound corvette. As vehicle weight is decreased, rolling resistance is as well. This will effectively unload the engine at low rpm cruising speeds. An unloaded engine with an aggressive camshaft will tend to behave worse than a loaded engine. That is why I gave you the camshaft recommendation earlier.
Thanks Michael, I realize it’s a very complex subject and a lot of factors that play significant roles. While on that, is there an obvious reason why the OEM heads flows so much better on the intake side?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vito.A
What a beautiful car!
I would pull the heads and send them to either American Heritage or WCCH.
I would install a Katech K501 camshaft as Jason recommended. Lots of great results from folks using this cam.

Be careful with your dual springs and Ti retainers. Lots of failures out their. Remember, a broken spring and a dropped valve in a cast piston motor can ruin your day. A set of PSI Endurance Beehive springs (1511 or 1515) would be a much better choice. The 1511 spring is shorter and will work with your LS1 titanium retainers (there are no LS7 1.959" height titanium retainers). You can use your OEM steel retainers with the taller 1515 spring and only give up a few grams while gaining some additional height and spring pressure.

There are some great dual springs available also. However, as you increase seat pressure you can overwhelm OEM LS7 lifters and rockers.
Best of luck!
Well, as I’m in Sweden I think I will have to find a local shop to have a look at them And yes, the K501 seems to be a very good cam from what I’ve heard.

I bought the springs and retainers as a kit from Texas Speed some 6 or 7 years ago, to be honest I do not really remember what they are, I’ll have to get them back out and have a look.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:32 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by pkincy
The beauty of having it in your hands is you can try it. It will still cost you consumables and gaskets and a Heck of a Lot of tuning time, but worst that will happen is that you pull it out and put something else in.

However, I am in the camp that your car (Factory 5?) has enough HP already given the chassis. That is a good looking car and vary trick, but my Race Car often ran in the same Race Heat with Factory Five Racing and they really don't look good after a major shunt or off. There is not a lot of steel up front other than the engine and it is pretty easy to shed a lot of that steel if you hit something hard.
That is indeed true, I do have all the parts at hand. And while on the topic of tuning, I need to find somebody that could actually do that. It’s not like for you guys where you could find a tuner at every street corner or so

My car is not a FFR, the chassis is custom built in Sweden to use the front and rear parts from a Corvette C4, my car uses parts from a 1992 ZR1 with a Dana44 axle and I’m using the calipers from the C6 Z06 up front and I have GAZ coil overs all around. It’s actually pretty competent when it comes to road/track performance. But still, I do not think I would like to hit something solid with it, but even worse if I were to be hit by an SUV or something from the side, it would probably run right thru and/or over me

I have attached a few early pictures from the build.
Attached Images      
Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice build
Old 10-20-2015, 02:25 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
Nice build
Thanks, it turned our rather nice if i may say so myself
Old 10-21-2015, 04:05 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Very nice build and nice shop.

Just FYI, to date we have shipped our heads to 5 country's in Europe. We ship worldwide, Europe, UAE, Asia, South America, ect...

HP@americanheritageperformance.com
310-326-2399
http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Very nice build and nice shop.

Just FYI, to date we have shipped our heads to 5 country's in Europe. We ship worldwide, Europe, UAE, Asia, South America, ect...

HP@americanheritageperformance.com
310-326-2399
http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Interesting, I’ll keep that in mind when I pull the plug on this project The plan is early spring btw
Old 10-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Thanks Michael, I realize it’s a very complex subject and a lot of factors that play significant roles. While on that, is there an obvious reason why the OEM heads flows so much better on the intake side?
Intake flow of these heads is what makes them so special. 12 deg valve angle, port size and shape, size of int valve... The exhaust just needs a little love is all.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:08 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
335 out of 720 degrees. The valve will be closed for 385 degrees.
preciate the correction. Forgot that ad. duration is measured in crankshaft degrees rather than camshaft degrees.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

A year later I thought I’d bring life to this thread again

I have now pulled the heads to have the guides replaced etc. It will be done by a local workshop who has done about 35 pairs of LS7 heads by now. I was talking to AHP but we came to the conclusion that it was just not feasible money wise to send them back and forth.

My engine has less than 4k miles on it now, I understand that you often reuse the stock TI intake valves but if the exhaust valves are in good condition would I be fine using them as well or should you always use new LS7 stock or hollow SS valves?

I have also looked into what springs and retainers I got there back in 2007. They are PRC's Double Gold springs, part number 199-spkit. Included in the package are steel spring seats, titanium retainers and viton valve seals, supposedly good up to .660 lift. Would there be any major drawbacks in using those springs compared to for example PSI 1511 beehives that where mentioned earlier here?

I have decided to try out the GM stage 3 cam as I already have it and I'll make sure to have a good tuner at hand. If it’s too much to live with I’ll swap it out for something else later on.

As this is my first cam swap in a push rod V8 I need to know what else I should consider changing. What about push rods, rocker arms, lifters, trunnions, etc etc?
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP stage 3 cam, will I have piston to valve clearance issues on a stock LS7?

Old 11-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

My first comment - for goodness sake, get all those bolts off the top of the engine! You've got a veritable domino effect waiting to happen, best case scenario you knock a fastener down into a part of the engine bay where it can't be easily retrieved, worst case scenario one falls down into an oil gallery..

That said, with 4,000 miles in total on the engine, and if the exhaust valves are the newer model (which I believe that change occurred somewhere around the 2008 time frame), and the exhaust valve guides in the heads you just pulled we're not out of spec, then it's pretty safe to reuse them. If any of those conditions are not met then my recommendation would be to replace with brand new GM exhaust valves, or the Ferrea hollow stem. In consideration of the larger cam, maybe go ahead and swap them with the Ferrea.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 11-10-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:31 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
Nothing wrong with that. My LG7XX cam has 40* of over lap and I'm turbo. Worked out fine for me 837whp@6psi

-Curtis
Wow! I would like to hear an idle clip of your car.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:57 PM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
My first comment - for goodness sake, get all those bolts off the top of the engine! You've got a veritable domino effect waiting to happen, best case scenario you knock a fastester down into a part of the engine bay where it can't easily be retrieved, worst case scenario one falls down into an oil gallery..

That said, with 4,000 miles in total on the engine, and if the exhaust valves are the newer model (which I believe that change occurred somewhere around the 2008 time frame), and the exhaust valve guides in the heads you just pulled we're not out of spec, then it's pretty safe to reuse them. If any of those conditions are not met then my recommendation would be to replace with brand new GM exhaust valves, or the Ferrea hollow stem. In consideration of the larger cam, maybe go ahead and swap them with the Ferrea.
Actually the bolts are already gone, a friend in the garage expressed the same concern

Does anybody know exactly what changed with the exhaust valves at that time? Is there a way to tell which I have got? My engine was bought in late 2008 but I do not know when it was manufactured.

I asked Jason @ Katech about this and he said he didn't know but according to their experience it had nothing with durability issues to do.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GMPP stage 3 cam, will I have piston to valve clearance issues on a stock LS7?